Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Over 6' in Ultralite

I was considering buying a HH Ultralite and the height limit on the website said 6'. I was wondering if being around 6'3'' would create problems when using the hammock.

Anyone taller then 6' use the Ultralite?

Thanks for your help.

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    I'm the same height and it was to restrictive for me. Got the Explorer BP UL and it was much more comfortable.
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I right at 6' and the Hyperlite is comfortable for me, but I'm pushing the envelope. With your height, go with the bigger hammock.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am 6ft 2in. I started out with an Expedition, which has the same dimensions as the ULBP. I was cramped in the thing, and not all that comfortable. More comfortable than in a tent, but my right shoulder would be elevated and rotated forward because of the narrow width of the hammock.

I then upgraded to the Explorer Deluxe with side zip. This hammock has the same dimensions as the Explorer Ultralight. The Deluxe is substantially heaver, at 3lbs 6oz. So, if you are weight conscious pick the Ultralight. However, either of the two will serve you much better than the smaller hammocks. The extra 8" of width in the hammock make a HUGE difference.

Hang around and enjoy.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    I right at 6' and the Hyperlite is comfortable for me, but I'm pushing the envelope. With your height, go with the bigger hammock.
    Right on Trooper. I agree, 6' is at the edge of comfort in the Hyperlight. I see that you and I have the both the HH Hyper and the WBBB 1.0 double. I let my wife use the HH, while I enjoy the additional room of the WBBB.
    "Well, you might be lazy, but if we were not all about comfort here this would be a tent forum!" - - Roadtorque

I haven't actually had a chance to sit in a Hammock yet, so I'm assuming the uncomfortableness comes from not being able to extend your legs fully?

Oxford, you say the 8'' of width is what helps, is this because you sleep diagonally in a hammock?

Thanks for all the replies.

edit: just a "for the record", I usually don't use a pad when in a tent so I'm not huge on comfort to begin with. A little bit of discomfort is presumably still probably better then the ground.
    Last edited by smith29; 12-04-2010 at 12:15.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As I transitioned from the ground I was initially frustrated at all the wrestling necessary. First, I hung my hammock too tight creating shoulder squeeze. Then, just getting in the sleeping bag was exhausting. I thought I'd pull a muscle putting pad back under me. I felt like I'd sprinted a mile and didn't sleep much that first night, I was just about to give up on hammocks right then and there. I am so thankful to HF because like you I searched out the solutions on this forum. Here's what I found:
    A looser hang + Under quilt + Top quilt (or unzipped sleeping bag) = NO MORE WRESTLING AND COMFORT THAT'S BETTER THAN MY OWN BED
    "Well, you might be lazy, but if we were not all about comfort here this would be a tent forum!" - - Roadtorque

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate the advice. I'll probably try out a sleeping bag first since I spent good money on my bag though - but I will definitlly look into the quilts.

I want to get the Ultralite due to the weight savings, and I'm willing to loose a bit of comfort, but I don't want to render the hammock useless and completely uncomfortable by buying the lighter one and being too tall.

Quote Originally Posted by smith29 View Post
    I was considering buying a HH Ultralite and the height limit on the website said 6'. I was wondering if being around 6'3'' would create problems when using the hammock.

Anyone taller then 6' use the Ultralite?

Thanks for your help.
    You will hate life in a hyperlite. Get the Explorer. Those hyperlites have a lot of sag, they work okay for light/short folks, but a Backpacker UL or the longer Explorer will be more comfortable. A heavier Expedition gives me an even flatter lay, expecially with a thermarest and an SPE.

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    I am 6'3 and I use the UL Explorer. It is the perfect fit.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast