Tarp
    OES MAC
    Insulation
    IX or Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Newby needing some help

I have never sewn anything and was thinking of making a simple light weight hamock for my first DYI project, is this something that i should be taking on? Is there a cottage resource that is has the fabric i will need thinking 1.1 or 1.7 ripstop?

Now here is the big one can anyone tell me what the different knobs do? I found online how to spoll thread but that was it.

I know a few of them but could use some help

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Scott Littlefield is a member here and he has DIY materials at very good prices. http://backwoodsdaydreamer.com/
    As for the knob functions. I am by no means a expert. But I will give this a go. The knob on the left above the presser foot is for adjusting your thread tension. The stitch selector knob does exactly that. The straight stitch and ziz zag are the two that you will most likely use the most. The width knob adjusts the width of your selected stitch ( Mainly the zig zag and other fancy stitches). The big knob on the right is your stitch length adjuster (think stitches per inch). The reverse button is self explanatory. The stretch button I am unfamiliar with. I would suggest threading up your machine loading up the bobbin and then get a scrap of material and just try the different setting and just plain get used to using the machine.
    Terry

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    You could also check out RamblinRev's vids: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/member.php?u=1466

Syb

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Poppabear's got the knobs correct. See if you can find a manual for it online. That would explain the machine settings. It's quite important that the thread follows the correct path to the needle, or it won't sew right.

Do you know anyone who sews? They can be a great resource.

Sewing gear isn't hard to do, plus it is kinda fun.

Just get some cheap fabric or old sheets, and practice. You'll get the hang of the machine fairly quickly. Most gear just needs straight stiching.

Hope this helps.

Quest Outfitter's has good descriptions of fabric uses on their website.

Hammock
    ZHammock inspired 2x layer 1.9oz
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Smitty,
    You can download a PDF copy of the instruction manual for free from either of the following links. It's the same exact copy at both links but I'm posting both sites in case it can help out with someone else's search for their machine's manual.

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/owne...rch=3851249180

http://www.hammerwall.com/Download_Manual/38961/

I downloaded it so if the link doesn't work for some reason, give me your email address and I'll forward it to you. Happy sewing!!!
    Last edited by sigma_pete; 12-03-2010 at 21:17. Reason: added 2nd link

Hammock
    ZHammock inspired 2x layer 1.9oz
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Not to get off on a tangent but for anyone looking for a Singer or White manual, some of their manuals are free (others you have to pay for) on Singer's corporate website.

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have Sclittlefield's green 1.1, and made my current hammock from it. It's much silkier fabric than the heavier weights. It's hard to beat that price, though if you have a Joanne's nearby and can get a coupon, they have decent 1.9 ripstop for $7/yd. With the 40% off coupon, you can get it down to $4.20/yd...

1.1 ripstop is good to 160lbs or so. I'm 220lbs and use 1.1, but a double-layer hammock would be more comfortable at my weight.

This is certainly NOT above your current skills, it's hard to screw it up. Practice making stuff sacks. when you're good at it, move on to your hammock and take your time.

Be warned: making gear is addictive. I just finished making my 3rd Underquilt, and 6th hammock!

John

Quote Originally Posted by smitty View Post
    I have never sewn anything and was thinking of making a simple light weight hamock for my first DYI project, is this something that i should be taking on? Is there a cottage resource that is has the fabric i will need thinking 1.1 or 1.7 ripstop?]
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES MAC
    Insulation
    IX or Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    sigma_pete thaks so much I cant tell you how long I have been looking for the manuals online.

JohnSawyer From what your saying I should move up to 1.9 ripstop I am about 185 lb and my dog will probably be jumping in with me another 30 lb. I want to make a quick to set up and light weight to take fishing or just lazy afternoons in the woods.

Does anyone know of a good link that would spell out the very very basics of sewing? I need the very basics like step one and this is step two type of things of course gear related would be awesome.

thanks everyone.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty View Post
    I am about 185 lb and my dog will probably be jumping in with me another 30 lb.

Does anyone know of a good link that would spell out the very very basics of sewing? I need the very basics like step one and this is step two type of things of course gear related would be awesome.

thanks everyone.
    The sticky gear making videos by RamblinRev should be just what you are looking for... sewing basics as it relates to making gear. You'll find them at the top of the DIY forum.

One comment you made caught my attention... about your dog jumping in with you. One of my first hammocks got a tiny tear in it, which quickly spread to a complete rip all the way across... which landed me on my back rather abruptly. I would be very cautious about letting a dog's claws come in contact with hammock fabric. Others at HF have posted about their dogs in the hammock with them, so it can be done... just be very careful.
    If I thought a 30# dog would be in the hammock with me, I'd likely make a double layer of 1.9 rs.

Oh, also... the first two hammocks I made have never seen a sewing machine.
    I cut the 60" wide fabric to length, gathered the ends, and used a fold over whipping that I found on a youtube video with a title like "easiest hammock ever". I may eventually hem all four edges... or I may not. They seem to be holding up fairly well with no hemming.

Regardless of what you make, best of luck, and post some pics when you are done.
    -Jeff
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The stretch button is used when the stitch length dial is set to the yellow section. It is pretty much useless for gear making purposes and absolutely arachic for sewing purposes. Don't even bother messing with it unless you are having a bad case of insomnia and are looking for an exercise in futility. You are better of using a zigzag for the minimal stretch issues you might face in gear making.

Stretch sewing for garments and such is a specialty all its own and has developed far beyond the capability of the stretch stich such a machine provides.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts