Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

How to shorten tree huggers?

After I had them lying around for weeks, I finally got around to exchanging the webbing of my WBBB with the Whoopie slings. It was much easier than I had thought

When selecting the slings, I went with 8 foot tree huggers, to be able to use larger trees as well. Up to now I haven't had the chance to hang in many different locations, but in the backyard, the only space to hang is between two beams that are supporting the balcony. Naturally, those don't have a huge diameter. With the webbing suspension, different diameters haven't been a problem. However, with the whoopie slings I cannot adjust the tree huggers. At the moment, I solved the problem by putting the tree hugger around the beam several times to shorten it. This is a bit laborious, and it makes adjusting the height difficult.

I have a couple of ideas how to solve the problem - but not sure if they are workable or safe.

1. Can I simply tie a loop into the tree hugger to use this to attach the carabiner too? Or will this weaken the webbing?

2. A good solution would also be a prussik on the tree hugger; this way I could easily shorten or lengthen the webbing. But will this weaken the webbing? And is the prussik strong enough for the weight? Will it hold on webbing anyway?

3. I could also sew additional loops into the webbing. But that is quite a bit of work. It would also be permanent and the distance between the loops would of course not be adjustable.

I wonder why the tree huggers are permanently fixed to the whoopie sling - does it save a lot of weight to make it permanent as opposed to be removable?

Otherwise I love the ease with with I can adjust the whoopie slings! It's so much easier than with the webbing (although they are more versatile).

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy hex
    Insulation
    diy kaq & down top
    Images
    Hello sir, I will attempt to answer your questions:

1) Yes, you can tie loops in the webbing, and yes, it will weaken the webbing, but in the short-term not enough to cause it to fail (most likely

2) Off the top of my head, I don't think prussik loops are a good idea in webbing.

3) don't bother!

The whoopie slings don't have to be permanently attached to your tree huggers--you can just leave one end of the huggers hanging off the tree, tie a marlin spike hitch in the hanging end, and loop your whoopie over that. I think that's what most people do. Quick and easy!

Hope that helps and viel Spass.
    A good caver never loses her pack.

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images

The Dutch Clip - Revisited and Revised

I sent this to Dutch a few days ago - it is a dutch clip / tri-glide combo...

(note: could probably get rid of one of the slots)

This would let you use tree straps with one terminal loop and no other loops so it is continuously adjustable.

I've never machined one but am considering making a pair for myself so I can go with whoopie slings (many of the areas I hang in have high tree density so trees are CLOSE together... finding a pair that are just far enough apart is common. If tree straps aren't tight to the tree the spread would not be sufficient... so this would fix the problem if using tree straps:

According to dutch, Angry Sparrow had what is apparently the same idea only used completely differently (I am not aware of what his use was but I bet it was good)

See image here: http://screencast.com/t/YTYyN2I2

EDIT: With only two slots: http://screencast.com/t/MGViN2YwMDct

-x
    Last edited by Pitch; 08-26-2010 at 12:47.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Adjustable tree huggers

Yeah, tree huggers never seem to be just the right length.

I have not done the deed yet, but I am about to turn a pair of Arrow Head Equipment suspension straps into adjustable tree huggers by adding JRB Tri-Glides to the end opposite the sewn loops. The Tri-Glides will form an adjustable loop through which the sewn end passes on it's way to the 'biners where the whoopies attach. Or vice-versa. Works either way.

Pictures Sunday eve if all goes well.

Jim

Hammock
    DIY 1.1oz ripstop (channel end)
    Tarp
    DIY McCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + 32deg bag
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel sling
    Images
    I agree with Goodcaver. Just tie a loop (a figure eight on a bight words well) and clip in with a biner or use a marlin spike hitch.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings

Agreed

+1 for Figure of 8 and a biner or marlinspike. I weigh 260 and have not had an issue with these exact fixes in a backyard setup.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You could probably go with a slightly shorted strap. 5 to 6 feet should be enough unless you know for certain you are going into an area with really big trees. A marlin spike hitch is quick and you do not need to detach the whoopie from the webbing. Just put the tree hugger on, make a marlin spike hitch close to the tree and then pull the whoopie up to the MSH. The excess webbing will just dangle.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the answers.

The special Dutch clip looks like it would be a perfect and light-weight solution! When will it be available?

Yes, I was thinking of combining the webbing with the whoopie slings as well. My 8x8" whoopie slings are exactly the same weight as the WBBB webbing suspension - so weight is not a reason for me to switch to whoopie slings. Ease of adjustment, on the other hand, is. I could add the tri glides to the whoopie sling tree hugger. Only thing is, the whoopie sling webbing is much slicker than the WBBB webbing. And I don't want to cut up the original webbing - in case I want to switch back for whichever reasons.

By the way: does the complete tree hugger need to be made of webbing? Isn't the part that goes round the back of the tree the important bit? If this is the case, it might be worth thinking about a tree hugger that is made partly out of webbing, and partly out of cord. This would have the advantage that it would be possible to use prussiks or a further whoopie sling to adjust the length.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Hi Hutzelbein, it sounds like you might have the All In One system rather than separate whoopie slings and tree huggers. I may be wrong on that but the weight makes me think that. If you have the All In One system, then a simple solution (as others have already said) would be to tie a marlin spike hitch in the webbing, secure it with the carabiner, go around the tree and attach the carabiner to the other end of the webbing.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Correct, I have the all in one

I will use the marlin spike hitch; I was just hoping that there is a cleaner solution, and as I said, I was worried about the stability as well as potential damage to the webbing.

I'm also thinking about trying a tri glide on the tree huggers, which would allow me to alway have the loop where I need it. It would of course add weight...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast