Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Your Best Gear - 2010

I saw Ewker's post from last December so I thought I'd carry the banner for 2010.

WHAT TO DO

1. List your top 3 gear items, and
    2. Explain why you feel it is your best new gear

RULES

Must be something new to you in 2010, not necessarily that the item was released in 2010 (e.g., 2010 was the first year you tried whoopie slings). You need to have used it on trips and not just in your backyard. Keep descriptions to 200 words or less for quick browsing.

BONUS

* Hammock-related gear is a plus.
    * A link to the gear is a plus (e.g., to a manufacturer's website)
    * 100 words or less, extra bonus!

I found it interesting to see what trends appeared last year, and I'm sure this year will be similar.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    1. Tensegrity stands.

Having moved to a tree-less property, having a multi-hammock stand has been awesome. The portability and low cost of some stands have made this one of my top hammock-related gear in 2010.

2. Teva Itunda Sandals

I got to test these sandals and I fell in love with them. If it weren't for the cold and snow, I'd wear them year-round as my primary backpacking shoe. I found them comfortable and versatile.

3. Wristees

What an awesome, easy-to-make piece of gear! I've already made a half-dozen of these gloves for my family.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Spinn UL Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I would have to say my top 3 items are the following:

Warbonnet Blackbird (upgraded from the ENO Doublenest)
    3-season Yeti under quilt (upgraded from an air mattress)
    3-season burrow from Hammock Gear (upgraded from the sleeping bag)

I now have a complete setup and love it!

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Since i just started hammock hanging this summer, this will be easy. Everything I have is new gear.

1. A hammock ..... I went from a cot & a tent to a hammock this summer. Bought a Trek Light double hammock on a whim at an outdoor expo last fall. My intention was to use it for naps & just hanging out on river trips. But after some of the best naps I've ever had in my life, I started sleeping in it overnight. I was hooked..... a goner. Which of course led to the rest of my gear list. Now I've added a WBBB to the stable.
    2. My first UQ. Got some serious CBS the first time I slept overnight in my hammock. Started with a KAQ Lost River, now have an 3 Season Incubator & Burrow on order.
    3. MacCat Deluxe tarp. Can't do the hammock thing without a tarp. LOVE the MacCat Deluxe. OES 12X15 cat cut tarp on order for our river kitchen. Can't believe how lightweight these sil nylon tarps are.

Yes I know..... I've caught the hammock & attendant hammocking gear disease quite severely. But it's so fun & hammocks are so comfy & easy to use.
    KJ
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 12-01-2010 at 16:51. Reason: xx

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Ok, here we go

Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus- http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpa...-backpack.html
    Just one of those items that just work. I love the lightweight, the size seems to be just what I wanted. The wide shoulder straps work just fine for me.

Hammock Gear 3S Burrow- http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/inde...8f7a6cfb726855
    My first time using a quilt, but feel this was a great purchase. Does what I need it to and feel good about pulling it out to use.

Primus Express Spider- http://www.altrec.com/primus-outdoor...s-spider-stove
    Just a great little stove. It is more stable because of the side hose mount. And when it gets cold, you can invert the canister for better use.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly

Thumbs up

In no particular order from vendors on HF...

AHE XL New River with Deep Winter Upgrade and AHE Owyhee Top Quilt 3S.

My Stovemandan stove collection. GoTo kit, Super Stove, and Fancee Feest.

My Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 single. It's a MUCH better fit for me than my 1.7 double!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    cuben hex
    Insulation
    Winter Phoenix
    Suspension
    adj. webbing
    1. Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Dbl Such a nice upgrade from my first hammock a Byer Mosquito.

2. Winter Crowsnest upgrade from ccf pads. Love that downy goodness.

3. Winter Burrow. Warmer and much, much lighter & less bulky than my 15 degree kelty bag

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I'll play along.

1. Hammock Gear 3S-3/4 Crowsnest UQ: My first UQ, and I wish I had ordered one much earlier. No more fiddling with fleece bags in the hammock! Snug and toasty.

2. Clark NX-250: I have been a HH owner for over 10 years now, and still like my Explorer DLX for summer use. But the CJH is great for "shoulder and winter use with its integrated weather shield. Not so sure about the pockets, but I may fit some Reflectix to each of the 6 available. I like the zipper opening as much as the HH under-slit entrance.

3. CRKT Folts Minimalist knife: Wat too handy for camping to leave at home! Always there, easy to access & stow, handles 90% of my cutting needs.

Jim

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    1: winter crowsnest, all I can say is WOW can't believe you can get this kind of warmth in a hammock, and the workmanship is spotless

2: woopie slings and everything amsteel just a cool product to play with

3: it's a tie between a couple of pieces of gear!!! my new alky stove (can't wait to try it out in the woods), my wristees, my new OR w/b jacket or all the great info I got here and all the cool gear I've made

sorry don't know how to add links

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Attention to detail

The vast majority of my gear purchases in 2010 were hammock gear purchases. The only non-hammock gear purchase I can think of that I made in 2010 was a Backcountry.com 700ml Titanium cup/pot & spork. In 2010, I purchased goods directly from, or made by:

• Warbonnet
    • OES Tarps
    • Hammockgear
    • Arrowhead Equipment
    • Whoopieslings.com
    • StoveManDan

The attention to detail shown by these small shops just cannot be matched by the gear giants. Thanks to all for such good stuff!

I am fanatical about shelter. I've had some experience with cold+wet=hypothermia. Dry is the most important part, so my shelter systems are the most important parts of my kits, so the tarp(s) come first...

1. Warbonnet Big Mamajamba Spinn with door kit - When I finally got this thing in my hand, all I could say was "Wow!" I've already had it out in some decent wind and it withstood without any problem. Extremely easy to set up and tear down (with techniques learned here at HF.net). The tarp is excellent without being overbuilt. I wanted big and light, and that is exactly what I got.

1.a. OES Deluxe Spinn - Brian starts with the same Spinn material that Brandon uses, and shows the same attention to detail. Some design features are different from the WB BMJ. The only design feature that made me choose WB over OES as my first purchase was the removable door option. If I had to replace my WB, I'd by another WB. If I had to replace my OES, I'd buy another OES.

Covered and dry... Now on to warmth!

2. Hammockgear.com 3Season Incubator - I've got 4 different goose down bags and 3 different goose down jackets. None compares in quality or craftsmanship to Adam and Jen. I've been over and over the quilt, and cannot find a missed or crooked stitch. I love the extra tie out loops along the sides and corners. I'm so happy with the 3S Incubator that I have a Winter Incubator and Summer Crowsnest on order.

Then there is the hammock... we wouldn't be here without the hammock...

3. The Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Dbl - Why didn't I have one of these 12 years ago when I got back into Scouting? Why didn't I have one of these 30 years ago as a Scout? Stitching - perfect. Bugnet fit to body - perfect. A shelf? Come on... I'm still working on finding that perfect setup that only practice will bring, but every hang is great.

Thanks to all of the cottage manufacturers. You guys (and ladies) have made it MUCH more enjoyable to get back outdoors again.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast