Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images

Houston we have a convert

First I would like to thank this online community for the helpfulness and congeniality that you offer even to people new to the discussion. thanks for your willingness to hop in answer questions that I am sure have been asked a zillion times.

To NCPatrick a HUGE thank you. He graciously met with me for lunch this past week and answered all types of hammock questions, he even loaned me an HH A-sym Expedition (did I get the jargon right?) to take for a test swing.

This week has been crazy and I haven't had a change to try it out. This morning I was able to hang it up and try. My yard has no trees in it whatsoever but there is a conservation easement that runs behind my house. I found a couple of small trees to try it with. Got the hammock up using the Hennasey Hitch and with great enthusiasm, hopped in (or I guess crawled in as the HH is a bottom loader). Butt hit the ground, no biggie just hopped out and raised the Tree huggers and tightened the hitch again. Butt hit the ground. Repeat, this time going as high up the tree as my paltry 5' 8" height would allow. Butt hit the ground. Then I figured out the problem, trees are too small ( had to double wrap the tree huggers) so they couldn't hold my weight.

Back into my back yard. Hitched it up to my deck and my kids solid wood swing set. Didn't hit the gorund but I could feel grass tickleing me bum. Raised the huggers one more time and tighted the hitch. Worked like a charm. Staked out the sides and the tarp (I think I messed the tarp up, didn't seem like it was lined up with the hammock probably to bad angle on the tie out due to cramped constraints of the back yard.) Got my thermarest pad and sleeping bag in the hammock and climbed in. It was a bit awkward getting in and sliding everything into place but once I did it was VERY comforatble. ME LIKEY ALOT! A few thoughts and observations and questions:

1) I can see why folks like the bigger tarp, stock tarp seemed small
    2) I would want to have camp shoes (crocs, flops) somethingeasy to slip on and off to get in.
    3) Snake skins are awesome, I can see why they are so popular
    4) I can see why set up is only 3 minutes AFTER site selection. Took me a while to find the best place and height for everything.
    5) What is the "ideal" size tree on the small end of the spectrum, I know it is a range and will vary on conditions but how small is too small?
    6) On a smaller tree, is it better to double wrap the tree huggers?
    7) Is there a rule of thumb for how high you should hang the hammock? High as you can reach flat footed?
    8) Does anyone have pics or can someone point me to a gallery of shots that show an underquilt over quilt system? I think I understand it conceptually but would love to see it visually.

Again I though I would like the hammock system and I need to try sleeping in one overnight (this weekend is a good candidate as we are going to have very balmy temps) but after my first test drive I think I am sold. I welcome any advice, observations, criticisms and correction of an glaring errors of observation or assumption.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    1 - yep.
    2 - yep.
    3 - yep. Also see the Blackbishop sack.
    4 - yep. But after 3-4 setups you'll figure out what works for you and it'll be a breeze.
    5 - 5-6" diameter is about the smallest you want to go.
    6 - Not really. Maybe it would distribute the force a little more but it's not a big deal. If you're worried about damaging the tree, use another tree.
    7 - Hang it so it's chair height when you sit down. Of course, if your tree are so far apart that you can't reach high enough to get it there, just hang it as high as you can. In colder weather, hang closer to the gound so your tarp can touch the ground...fill in gaps with leaves, etc.
    8 - http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    What Jeff said.

#2: Camp shoes make for a happy camp experience.
    #4: This is where Practice comes in. I'm to the point that I can spot a set of trees I can hang from fairly easily. I hang regularly from 2 trees in my back yard that are the perfect distance, so its easy to see what I need based on what my trees look like.
    #5: my hand is 4" wide at its widest, so if in doubt about the tree size: I put my hand on the trees of my choice, if I can see about 1/2 to 1 inch of tree on either side, the tree is wide enough. As you found, too small a tree makes you into a groundling
    #6: YES: If you're worried about damaging the tree, use another tree.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    Good article on quilts etc Jeff. Another quilt question, after you have your over quilt/ underquilt system in place, do you still sleep with a bag in the hammock? My gut feeling says yes

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Top quilt takes the place of the sleeping bag. Or you can just throw your sleeping bag on top of you and not zip it up...same thing.

If it's really cold you can get in a bag and then throw a quilt on top of it. That's what I did at Mt Rogers last January.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Re: question 5; my hand spans 8" when spread out fully- I figure if I can touch thumbs and pinkies around the tree(on the order of 16" or less= 5" diameter) it is too small to take my weight. (~200lbs)
    Just a "handy" gague to think about. HTH, Betsy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Glad it went well for you! Did you get to hang out this weekend?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    Not overnight but I did enojy a short nap

• + New Posts