Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    I finally got a chance to try it this evening. Like you suggested Grizz, I just used amsteel blue 1/8" which looked about the same size as the HH suspension cord (it looks like spyder line maybe?).

Anyway, it works great! I used a 12" bury and man it holds tight, no slipping at all and thats without putting shockcord or anything on the free end. Marked the cord, then laid in it for about 15 minutes twisting around and what not, then checked it - right on the mark. Saaweeet!

Had a little trouble getting it started in, I had to cut the inner core back a little and just start the sheath first, then it went fine. Like some one here showed, I used the B string off my guitar (an excuse to put new strings on it) for the fid, (which beats the plastic yarn needle I used last time hands down). It probably doesn't really matter but its somehow pleasing to me not to have the double length of cord that I have with the whoopie slings on my WBBB.

Thanks for the tips and videos, all.
    greggg3 - I thought about doing this also. Could you post a few pics so I can get a look at your rig? Thanks, JC

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    greggg3 - I thought about doing this also. Could you post a few pics so I can get a look at your rig? Thanks, JC
    Sorry for the delayed response, I've been out of town. I'll put it up tomorrow and take some pics. So far its been working fine, no apparent slippage of the HH rope sheath on the core.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Very timely thread for me as I'll be doing this to my HH A-sym Ultralight this week, in preparation for another Appalachian Trail section hike next week.

THANKS!

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Sorry for the delayed response, I've been out of town. I'll put it up tomorrow and take some pics. So far its been working fine, no apparent slippage of the HH rope sheath on the core.
    OK, double sorry for taking so long. Anyway, here are a couple pics. The UCR is amsteel blue, the dark cord is the stock HH rope. I added a piece of shock cord to keep tension on the free end of the UCR but it doesn't appear to be necessary. I've laid in the hammock with no tension on the free end, like you see in the pics and it doesn't slip, and I weigh about 230 lbs. Its very easy to rig, 10' of amsteel blue (and if you don't like it just slide it off and your back to the stock HH set up). In the field I use a marlin spike - the biners are just used in the garage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK, double sorry for taking so long. Anyway, here are a couple pics. The UCR is amsteel blue, the dark cord is the stock HH rope. I added a piece of shock cord to keep tension on the free end of the UCR but it doesn't appear to be necessary. I've laid in the hammock with no tension on the free end, like you see in the pics and it doesn't slip, and I weigh about 230 lbs. Its very easy to rig, 10' of amsteel blue (and if you don't like it just slide it off and your back to the stock HH set up). In the field I use a marlin spike - the biners are just used in the garage.
    That's pretty neat. I've never considered using a whoopie to hug a 2nd rope like that. Cool. I'm curious to know what that gives you over removing the stock HH rope completely. I replaced my stock HH with a short piece of looped amsteel and that attaches to my amsteel whoopie. If the whoopie is more distance than I need, I just connect directly to the amsteel loop and bypass the whoopie.

My goal was reduced weight so I removed the heavy HH stock rope all together.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight assym classic
    Tarp
    Hennessy Tarp
    Insulation
    undercover
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings
    Cool setup Gregg3, and no problem with the Hennessy Warranty, i will do the same as soon as i could get Amsteel ...

Thanks a lot for the pics !!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123