Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I recently got a HH DJ XL and I'm wondering if I couldn't just use an amsteel UCR over the stock HH suspension cord. Has anyone ever tried that? I mean the constrictor is just the outer rope so does the inner one have to be amsteel also? Anyone have any opinions on what size amsteel to go over a stock HH cord?

(I have whoopie slings on my WBBB and love em, tried UCR's but they slipped, but I've read where Grizz used the shock cord to keep tension on the end and thought I'd try that on the DJ).

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    I recently got a HH DJ XL and I'm wondering if I couldn't just use an amsteel UCR over the stock HH suspension cord. Has anyone ever tried that? I mean the constrictor is just the outer rope so does the inner one have to be amsteel also? Anyone have any opinions on what size amsteel to go over a stock HH cord?
    I've had three different models of HH hammocks and each had a different diameter.

What I'd be concerned about is a UCR over a sheathed cord. Probably it would be OK...everything inside is getting squeezed, but that's what I'd look at first. As for diameter of Amsteel to use, I'd go with as close to the diameter of the HH cord as I could, just emulating the Amsteel on Amsteel we're comfortable with.

(I have whoopie slings on my WBBB and love em, tried UCR's but they slipped, but I've read where Grizz used the shock cord to keep tension on the end and thought I'd try that on the DJ).
    Doesn't have to be shock cord. Just a prusik loop connected to the tail of the UCR to keep it from slipping works well for me.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    It's really, really easy to take the stock cord off and rewhip with a whoopie sling, in my opinion. I think you would be better off going that route. Here is a video that may help you out..

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

Tickled Pink!

I finally got a chance to try it this evening. Like you suggested Grizz, I just used amsteel blue 1/8" which looked about the same size as the HH suspension cord (it looks like spyder line maybe?).

Anyway, it works great! I used a 12" bury and man it holds tight, no slipping at all and thats without putting shockcord or anything on the free end. Marked the cord, then laid in it for about 15 minutes twisting around and what not, then checked it - right on the mark. Saaweeet!

Had a little trouble getting it started in, I had to cut the inner core back a little and just start the sheath first, then it went fine. Like some one here showed, I used the B string off my guitar (an excuse to put new strings on it) for the fid, (which beats the plastic yarn needle I used last time hands down). It probably doesn't really matter but its somehow pleasing to me not to have the double length of cord that I have with the whoopie slings on my WBBB.

Thanks for the tips and videos, all.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    2nd thoughts...I've been using this UCR over the std. HH suspension rope (looks like spyderline?) which is a sheath/core type rope. It holds great, but lately I've started wondering about maybe I'm slowly moving the sheath over the core? I don't know how much length it takes for the sheath to transfer the the tension to the core, and how much load the sheath will take by itself. Could the sheath fail by itself dropping me? Hmm...

The grip is awesome though (no worries about slipping thru the UCR), and for the weight of only about 6' of amsteel blue I have complete adjustability, so I'm loathe to give it up. If anyone has tried this - UCR with amsteel and sheath/core rope for the main suspension line - and has a horror story, please let me know.

Hammock
    Hennesy Ultralight Assm
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Nclarkii View Post
    I wanted to be able to detach my whoopies so I tied a 12" continuous utility loop (7/64" Amsteel) to the hammock in basically the same way you would attach the fixed loop of thw whoopie. Combined with Dutch biners, I can now attach and detach the whoopies to move them to another hammock, reverse them, etc. The only thing I might do differently next time is use a 14" loop so it protrudes more from the black sheath.

Can you explain what you did here for attaching your continous loop? It doesn't look at all like how HH attaches to itself in stock form.

Here's what I tried earlier and haven't gone back to fix it yet. Too many options that confuse this nOOb. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=28632

Little anxiousness

I am new to hammocks show bear with me. I bought a used HH expedition asym. The area between the two holes was stretched out. I made a clove hitch know below the second hole. I then wrapped it like Opie's video. It took the strain off the area between the two holes. First one took me 1 hour. Second time 5 minutes..

Those instructional videos are extremely helpful.

Lester

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    What I do is go up through the hole closest to the end, wrap 3 or 4 times and go up through the second hole. Now you should have a little loop sticking out of the second hole and a larger one through the first hole. Then I take the larger loop out of the first hole, hook the smaller loop and your ridgeline loop onto the larger loop and stick it back down the first hole. Clear as mud or what? Not very easy to explain, for me at least.

As lpwang said, Opie and a few others have videos on youtube that are extremely helpful. Just search "hennessy whoopie sling" on youtube and you should get a few helpful videos to choose from. You could also go to the "videos" section of this forum and find most of those same videos.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Here are a few pictures for you guys. I don't use a continous loop, I use a short, double ended locked brummel. It's the same basic thing, though. I like my set-up because I can get my whoopie sling closer to the hammock and I can hang from a 10-12 foot span if need be. With a CL + Dutch Biner the adjustable part of the WS is in the rain and you can't really hang if your trees aren't 13-14' apart. They both serve the same basic purpose, being able to change out suspension on the fly without undoing the whipping. All that matter is that YOU are happy with your set-up. Hope the pictures help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast