Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    Clarks can be zipped off.

is this right? i thought all that stuff stayed connected. what removes? the weathershield or the net or both?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshLaw303 View Post
    4 separating zips is an idea that is interesting. I have been thinking about how to have 1 hammock that can be taken with net, sans net or sans net with over cover. I want to build this feature into our upcoming hammock but didn't want to order 1000 custom zippers. I will have to try a proto with this feature as it offers the max flexibility in one hammock. 4 2way sep zips is a huge cost bump over continuous and a few sliders so i'll have to see if it is doable for us but i am interested in this concept very much

-Tim
    i think 2q once looked into seperating zippers and was told that the way they are made, you can't use different zippers together, as in the seperating zipper will fit it's other half, but not necessairly another seperating zipper half of the same length. so you wouldn't be garanteed the weathershield and the net would both be interchangeable. don't know how accurate that is, but i believe that's what he was told

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i think 2q once looked into seperating zippers and was told that the way they are made, you can't use different zippers together, as in the seperating zipper will fit it's other half, but not necessairly another seperating zipper half of the same length. so you wouldn't be garanteed the weathershield and the net would both be interchangeable. don't know how accurate that is, but i believe that's what he was told
    The original one I made works fine. That one was designed with two 2-way separating zippers; one on each side running the entire length of the hammock. I purchased a total of 3 zippers of (I think) 110" in length. One zipper was attached to each of:

• The hammock body,
    • The noseeum netting, and
    • The over-cover

There is a left and right side of each zipper; so its really important to think through the placement (i.e. a "right" zipper half won't zip to another "right" half).

I didn't worry about the zippers being weathershields (i.e. waterproof). I figured that neither the noseeum nor the uncoated 1.1 ounce nylon I used for the over-cover were even remotely waterproof; so why worry about the zipper.
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    The original one I made works fine. That one was designed with two 2-way separating zippers; one on each side running the entire length of the hammock. I purchased a total of 3 zippers of (I think) 110" in length. One zipper was attached to each of:

• The hammock body,
    • The noseeum netting, and
    • The over-cover

ok, good to know. maybe the info 2q got wasn't totally accurate. i suppose the guy just meant that there's no garantees that they'll be interchangeable... perhaps it works most of the time. he was probably just covering his bases

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    i guess i don't understand why you can't shorten a 2-way separating. If you take length off the top and add a new stop why would that affect the way the zipper works? 2 sliders start at the bottom and one goes up to close the zipper, then the bottom one goes up to open it again from the bottom toward the top leaving it closed between the 2 sliders. why does it matter what is above the top slider?

I also see no reason why all size #5 2 way sep zips of the same style wouldn't be interchangeable (assuming all from same manufacturer).

I honestly don't like the idea of a 2-way zip. I wish i could just have 1000 140" #3 coil 1 way sep zips with 3 sliders made. that would be perfect for what i want to do.

Perhaps i will, hmm...

-Tim

I was thinking about the same issues, here is a thread I started on the subject

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=20258

I finally decided that I would use a 96" zipper on each side and velcro on the ends. I am going to have a 1' or 1.5' fabric cap on each end, so the velcro doesn't have to pass through the gather, as well as allowing me to use the 8 foot zippers on either side. I plan on using this part number from Quest Outfitters: #5195.

My guess is that Clark probably has this feature patented, which is why you don't see a full zip out weather shield.

Images
    i guess i don't understand why you can't shorten a 2-way separating. If you take length off the top and add a new stop why would that affect the way the zipper works? 2 sliders start at the bottom and one goes up to close the zipper, then the bottom one goes up to open it again from the bottom toward the top leaving it closed between the 2 sliders. why does it matter what is above the top slider?

I also see no reason why all size #5 2 way sep zips of the same style wouldn't be interchangeable (assuming all from same manufacturer).

I honestly don't like the idea of a 2-way zip. I wish i could just have 1000 140" #3 coil 1 way sep zips with 3 sliders made. that would be perfect for what i want to do.

Perhaps i will, hmm...

-Tim
    what you describe sounds like a one way seperating zipper with 2 sliders on it.

a 2-way would have the sliders zipping together, (not running the same direction). i suppose you could use a one way, but having the zippers closing toward eachother is very convenient

Images

-Tim
    i don't either, but i believe that's what 2q said he was told

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    a 2way, like on a jacket, has 2 sliders that are back to back, one closes as you zip it up and the other opens as you zip it up. this is what allows you to have your jacket zipped in the middle but open near the neck and belly. The same is true of sleeping bags, you can close the zip to the shoulder than open the foot a little. I just don't see why they couldn't be shortened. I am pretty sure i have done it but it would have been almost 4 years ago so i can't be sure i know what i am talking about (like i ever can)

-Tim

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Here is the image of what i am talking about. No reason it can't be shortened

-Tim

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast