I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just made one for my Grizz Bridge that dangles inside with some flaps.....
    Might could work on a Speer.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=24418

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    you need a custom made 2 way seperating zipper, those are custom from the zipper manufactuer, and i doubt you'll be able to find somebody to make you just one (could be wrong)
    They are difficult to find; but not impossible. OWF has them (#10 100" near the bottom of the page). I also found some at ZipperStop; brass #5 in any length up to 250". I honestly can't remember where I found the zippers I used; but I do remember that I designed the hammock around the zipper length. The biggest issue I had was finding one long enough that wasn't also very heavy-weight.

My plan for my next design is to use 4 separating zippers instead of 2. It would use a short and a long zipper on each side and they'd meet right at the shoulder pull-outs. My costs would probably go up; but I hope to accomplish three things this way:

1. Since the zippers are shorter, I'm hoping I can find lighter weight zippers (i.e. #3 or #5 instead of #8).
    2. I can use one-way instead of two-way separating zippers (again, this will hopefully open up more sources of zippers)
    3. When closed, the zipper pulls would be much more conveniently located at my shoulder instead of at the very peak of the hammock.

At least that's my thought right now. Right now the plans entirely in my head (indeed, a scary place at times )
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Traveller,Speer,BIAS,Hennessy Asym.
    Tarp
    OES Strd, OES Wint
    Insulation
    HG Full length.
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Images

the ends

Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    They are difficult to find; but not impossible. OWF has them (#10 100" near the bottom of the page). I also found some at ZipperStop; brass #5 in any length up to 250". I honestly can't remember where I found the zippers I used; but I do remember that I designed the hammock around the zipper length. The biggest issue I had was finding one long enough that wasn't also very heavy-weight.

My plan for my next design is to use 4 separating zippers instead of 2. It would use a short and a long zipper on each side and they'd meet right at the shoulder pull-outs. My costs would probably go up; but I hope to accomplish three things this way:

1. Since the zippers are shorter, I'm hoping I can find lighter weight zippers (i.e. #3 or #5 instead of #8).
    2. I can use one-way instead of two-way separating zippers (again, this will hopefully open up more sources of zippers)
    3. When closed, the zipper pulls would be much more conveniently located at my shoulder instead of at the very peak of the hammock.

At least that's my thought right now. Right now the plans entirely in my head (indeed, a scary place at times )

What if the zipper doesn't go all the way to the gathered ends, and instead one just ties the ends of netting in a loose knot around the gathered end? At least for the foot end?

Clarks can be zipped off.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoat View Post
    What if the zipper doesn't go all the way to the gathered ends, and instead one just ties the ends of netting in a loose knot around the gathered end? At least for the foot end?
    Although I've never done it myself, you can supposedly shorten a separating zipper. A quick Google search showed this and many similar pages. Based on that I would plan on buying a zipper too long and then simply shorten it. The technique described looks pretty straight forward for a toothed (and not coil) zipper.

Its unclear to me whether this technique would work with both one-way and two-way separating zippers.
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    you can absolutely shorten separating zippers

-Tim

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    You could have one edge of the bug net attach like a speer, with velcro, and have the other edge hang over with a flap. I rigged my claytor no net up like that and have been pretty happy with it! Good luck!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    4 separating zips is an idea that is interesting. I have been thinking about how to have 1 hammock that can be taken with net, sans net or sans net with over cover. I want to build this feature into our upcoming hammock but didn't want to order 1000 custom zippers. I will have to try a proto with this feature as it offers the max flexibility in one hammock. 4 2way sep zips is a huge cost bump over continuous and a few sliders so i'll have to see if it is doable for us but i am interested in this concept very much

-Tim

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Here's a custom hammock I made for Roaming Gnome.
    It features a zip off net that doesn't seperate from the hammock body, but stores in a stuff sack at the foot end.

I've got another one half done that will work the same way, but use a #3 coil zipper.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshLaw303 View Post
    you can absolutely shorten separating zippers

-Tim
    not a 2-way separating one

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast