ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    8X10 all purp tarp
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    12ft dble webbing

Tarp For Warmth??

i havent actually ever used my tarp while ive slept in my hammock. ive only camped in the warmer months and brought it just in case it rained but never did so never needed it. this weekend im going on my first winter hammock camping trip...ive been this time of the year in tents several times but never in the hammock. Does a tarp keep your warmer? I was thinking it could either hold in your warmth better or block any cold winds. Or if it is a clear night is it pointless to hang the tarp?

Thanks

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Tarps will help to block some wind and to hold a bit of heat in. The wind being blocked is major, and even if clear (usually the coldest) it can make a big difference.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DD Camping
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    Karrimor bag
    Suspension
    Stock webbing
    Images
    I would hang the tarp, 'cos rain can come over quite quickly (well here at least) and yeah I think if you pitch the sides nice and steep you will get some heat trapped and definitely keep out the wind. Let us know how it goes when you get back and remember pics are good!
    Cheers

CamWaite

Be who you are and say or do what you will, for those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    8X10 all purp tarp
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    12ft dble webbing
    Thanks for the advice...and ill be sure to post some pictures
    God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.

Genesis 1:31

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    As mentioned already, the tarp will help retain heat especially pitched steep and with doors. I think the biggest factor is keeping that breeze off the bottom of the hammock. The breeze will rob you of a lot of heat. In my experience, the tarp can make a big difference in staying warm. I always at least have my tarp in a half pitch (folded back over the tarp ridgline like a lean-to) so if a storm does roll in unexpectedly, it's easy to adjust it and get full protection.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'd not expect a tarp to "hold" in any heat...too thin, too many gaps around the edges. A tarp's biggest contribution in cool/cold weather (besides keeping off precipitation) is to be a windbreak! That's a significant contribution to keeping you warmer, however, and very worthwhile.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    As sort of hinted at, IF set up correctly & in a good location: a tarp will help create a "Micro climate" around you. & really, that is all a tent does. Many hikers have commented that they wok up cold & had to put ALL of their clothing on just to stay warm. Some who only went for a day hike have reported that just a few feet from a poor camp location, the temp warmed up enough that they felt compelled to return to camp to leave some clothing behind, just a few yards back at camp, it was again cold. All due to Micro climates.

In January this year at Mt Rogers I had my thermometer inside my tarp (2' or so inside the open end) & the temp read 20 degrees, outside (About 2' from the door) it read 17 degrees. Seemingly 3 degrees is minimal, but at those temps it can seem a lot. My tarp was set up with the west facing end closed up snug, & the tarp went to the ground on 3 sides. The East end was open for the entire weekend.

I got just a slight chill around 0300 on Sunday AM, but after "tending to business" & a short set of jumping jacks, I slept the rest of the night warm & snug. When exiting the tarp I noticed a "Huge" temperature drop, but did not bother to measure it.

This morning when I got up (tarp set with the lower edges about 1' from the ground, both ends mostly closed) I noticed about a 5 degree difference when I stepped out of the tarp. There was minimal wind, maybe gusts to 2 MPH & the rain was "Misting". Outside temp around 34 from a weather station about 3 miles away from me.

So, IMHO: A tarp can make a sizable difference in the cold weather.

Tips to setting up your tarp for maximum effect:

Location, location, location. try to find a micro climate, one sheltered from the wind, not too high on a hill or too low & away from water (within reason).
    Orient your tarp ACROSS the prevailing wind.
    If you have doors or can close up the end(s) use them.
    Rig your tarp tight. This will reduce flapping & allow the cold wind to shed off your tarp easier.
    Allow some ventilation or condensation can build up, causing you & your gear to become wet. Wet = Cold. On my Mt Rogers set up, there as a "baseball sized" hole facing in to the wind (west) & the east end was fully open, I had almost no condensation all 3 nights.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Unless it's a big tarp and pitched low and tight, with closed ends, I would not expect a tarp to add noticeable warmth.

If there is wind, it will help if oriented correctly. but will not stop all airflow around the hammock. If nothing else, any heat you generate under the tarp will create an airflow as it rises and cooler air comes in to replace it.

I also agree that the presence of condensation may indicate a temperature differential between the bottom of the tarp and ambient temp.

When I went to the Chatooga a couple weeks ago, lows were forecasted in the mid 20s and I saw 28 degrees at midnight. I left my tarp skinned above the hammock and we used another tarp as a wind break near our fire.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    They say a tarp overhead "reflects" heat back at you, even if not closed up like some of the winter tarp designs. I have an insulated hammock sock on order from Santa Claus to hopefully create a true micro-climate. Using a bivy tent in below zero conditions I found an 8-10 degree difference from inside to outside, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    8X10 all purp tarp
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    12ft dble webbing
    yeah i guess the main thing will be breaking up any breeze there is...but hopefully i can get a little microclimate going to help keep me warm. Thanks Doctari for the detail
    God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.

Genesis 1:31

• + New Posts