Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by skyclad View Post
    Uncle, regarding Permethrin - how is that applied? To your backside? to the outside of the hammock? Is it sticky or greasy? Does it stink?

thanks, sky
    Sky, if you do a search for "Permethrin", you'll still be reading this time tomorrow morning.

Netting is HOT, and anything I can do to get by w/o it pays big dividends: site selection, permethrin, deet, Thermacell...the net is a last resort.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by hammockNQ View Post
    Interesting thread.

My first post here .
    Welcome, and thank you for your most excellent input,
    good points.

I agree in the summer reduce core temp.
    In the winter increase core temp. before entering hammock.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    For me, hot weather hanging depends on just how hot and how humid. Up to about 90 degrees during the day and that night with falling temps, I normally still need to have my summer under quilt (or a poncho liner). During the day, I'll have the underquilt shifted over to the side and not actually under me. During the night, I can reach under and pull it back to where it belongs, if I get chilled. When the daytime temps start reaching 100 (or more!!!) I remove the underquilt. Even on the side of my hammock, it's too hot. I keep a thin 100% silk sheet inside the hammock. That usually is all I need and then I only need that towards the early morning hours.
    I have to use bug netting year round here. I was camping a couple of weeks ago, temps went pretty close to freezing that night and I was still being swarmed by skeeters when I set up that afternoon.
    I use a fan to cool down inside my hammock. It hangs from the ridgeline, inside.
    Being female and usually camping with boy scouts, my sleeping clothes are a bit different. I've found that I prefer wearing a light breathable top and a skirt. I made the skirt out of breathable ripstop (ditital camo found at wallmart!!). I'm able to stay decent looking around the camp fire at night. And if I have to get up during the night the skirt falls back down and I'm good to get out of the hammock. Plus I can put on or take off shorts while wearing the skirt and no one sees anything.
    Course you guys, wearing a skirt might not get you the kind of reactions that you want!!!! But you can get by with wearing a whole lot less than us females.
    This past year I found that it didn't make much difference if my hammock was totally soaked and everything inside wet/damp when the outside night time temps only got to the mid or upper 80's. Hot is still HOT!! And being damp with a fan actually felt goooood.
    Staking my rain fly out with treking poles (or attached to nearby trees) helps. It's so hot that I don't care if light rain falls on me!! I've been in humidity that felt heavy enough to call it rain. As long as the temps are high enough, I've not gotten chilled. But if they do drop a bit, I do need to have something dry (like my silk sheet) to keep me warm.
    These are just some things that have worked for me...
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY's
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter Pa
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20, UGQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet buckles
    Thanks everyone,

I am surely going to integrate some of these ideas to extend my camping season longer. In the heat of the summer it can get downright miserable. In addition, I think I am going to definitely experiment with materials for lightweight breathable hammocks. I will leave my Hennessy at home for this one. I notice one gentleman even making some of his hammocks out of silk. The other thing I am going to play with is shaping my tarp and camp location. One idea is to try to shape the tarp like a sail to catch wind and force it downward into the hammock. Some lightweight sail battens might do the trick nicely. 2Q's pole in the tarp is another idea.

Thank you again! I bid everyone a great week.

Robby

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Randy, a forum member here (although I haven't heard from him in a long time), gave me this little battery operated fan:

He fashioned a velcro strap system for it. The angle and fan speed are adjustable. Hangs upside down from my ridgeline using the strap system he made and helps to keep me cool in warm weather.

Quote Originally Posted by skyclad View Post
    Uncle, regarding Permethrin - how is that applied? To your backside? to the outside of the hammock? Is it sticky or greasy? Does it stink?

thanks, sky
    You rinse your clothes in it while doing the laundry.

I was thinking about starting a new thread to ask for some warm weather hammock tips but found this first. I am glad to see a few of you don't let living in the humid south keep you inside, so more info from the others living in the south east would be great! I am looking into hammocks because the climate here presents a whole different set of challenges, and I think getting off of the ground would help give a little more air flow and help deal with humidity and insects. A single layer breathable hammock with a full bug net wrap, and a light moveable / removable under layer and a lightweight breathable top layer is what I am considering. I am going to make my own gear as well. I am hoping this yankee girl, who is somewhat acclimated to the sweaty south, can convince her Kentucky hubby to spring / fall camp as well.
    So does anyone else out there have any more tips?
    Questions for you hangers who aren't afraid of the heat: I am a little concerned the bug netting material will be stuffy, would a lighter weight net allow for more air? How do you deal with the increases in humidity that happens at night when the temps drop, this is usually when I get chilled! And last, but not least, how do you care for your gear and make sure it doesn't get stored damp (I figure I am going to need to hang everything inside in the AC after each trip to prevent mildew.)

For me, Air movement is key. So, tarp hung high or no tarp, fan if I'm not backpacking too far. Site selection hoping for a place with a consistent breeze.

no bug net if I'm in a place that won't hurt me too badly. (permythrin on the hammock and clothes. deet on the skin) No bug net is a rare luxury.

cold water bottle. If I am car camping or going for a single night and not traveliing too far by foot. I sometimes do the winter hot water bottle in reverse. I will go out with a completely frozen 32 ounce bottle and keep it in a cooler with my dinner and then sleep with the icy bottle.

try to set up right next to or over water. (If the water is moving that is better). Cool yourself in the water before going to sleep. Also set up in shade unless the shady area will limit the night time breeze. Then set up in breeze hang out in shade until bedtime.

Make sure that you drink a lot so your body can regulate its temp.

Try to get the hiking and chores done early so your body can cool off before bedtime.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Loved the idea of grabbing some scrub pants. Might just have to look for some on my way down to the Harold Parker this weekend!
    And I'll +1 the idea for taking a swim a bit before bedtime if you can. Cools your core and the simple act of getting that sticky scrim of sweat of your skin makes me faaaaaar more comfortable.

[using some Dr Bronner's Peppermint soap don't hurt either!]
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    One more reason I love the hammock over a tent. I have to backpack during the hot summer months because of work schedule. I am lucky that nighttime low's are usually between 60 and 75. I usually sleep in just Underarmour Exofficio Boxers, no head or feet covering, 50* UGQ TQ pushed to the footbox ready for late night cover if needed, UQ off to one side to help block butt breeze and ready to pull on for late night cover if needed. As mentioned, Tarp hung high and double porch mode and bug net zipped if buggy. Honestly, I almost always use the net because of age and previous tent life. Tents have never been as "Cool" as a Hammock!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast