DIY Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Frankenpad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images

A Comparison of Synthetic Insulations

Hey y'all,
    What is your favorite type of insulation for applications like an underquilt? I know that down would be ideal, but the cost is prohibitive, so unless I luck into some really cheap salvage source synthetic it is.

The ones I was thinking over are insultex, climashield, and thinsulate. That said, if there are any contenders I missed, please tell me about them. I am looking to use these in a winter underquilt, so max warmth is a huge factor.

Any ways, if any of you have used these in an underquilt or similar application, please weigh in with your opinions.

Thanks

PS: I was looking at insultex and it seems like it has different properties depending on the sides as far as breathability and waterproofing. Can anyone comment on this?

__________________________________________________ _______________

CBS (Cold Butt Stephen)

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I like the Insultex. I have used some in a PLUQ I've made, and I'm currently working on testing a full-size IX quilt. I've used it successfully down to 50°F, and I'm sure it can go lower when I can figure out how to best seal the underquilt.

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    I use IX as well and find i breathes just right for sleeping. And when it comes to waterproofing its a beaut on a recent trip we experienced a severe rain storm(that flooded many roads - and our basement) but my IX uq kept me dry and warm....
    One off the advantages of IX is that its not sensitive to moisture, a big + on kayak trips where everything has a habit of getting moist and damp.

/Bomber
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    CBS:
    I have insultex, KAQ UQ & TQ (synthetic Climashield HL), DIY KAQ UQ bought form a kit at Arrowhead Equipment (synthetic Climashield HL/ $90 and a couple of days to make it), and a recently purchased Down quilt from a fellow member. I have to admit I like KAQ as an all around weather UQ/TQ. They are good, for me, to about 30 degrees if they are hung correctly. I am looking to supplement the KAQ's with a layer of IX to take them even lower.

I read in another post that you are in Louisiana..........if this is the case I would go with the Synthetic insulation or IX. What type of hiker are you: UL, SUL, a 110lb pack and 30miles of swamp are no problem?????
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    inner fortitude
    Suspension
    cinch & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    CBS:
    a 110lb pack and 30miles of swamp are no problem?????
    What do you want to do after lunch ?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    No one has mentioned Prima-Loft. I've got a nice light primaloft jacket and have thought it would make a great insulation material for a UQ (if i knew how to sew!)

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
    No one has mentioned Prima-Loft. I've got a nice light primaloft jacket and have thought it would make a great insulation material for a UQ (if i knew how to sew!)
    I love the Climashield we used a few years ago when our BSA troop made a bunch of quilts, tarps and other ultralight trekking gear. I was really fortunate to find a company that donated a roll of it providing we picked it up and that saved the troop a bunch of money. There are some wonderful vendors out there that support outdoor programs. One of the most important things we tried to achieve was to get the boys overcome their insecurities and learn a new skill. The project went over very well and the gear I made then I still use today.

Happy Trails,

Mike

Senior Member Cold Butt Stephen's Avatar
    Hammock
    SL 1.1 oz DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Frankenpad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Well, I guess I would say that I am getting more into ultralight, but I know that the cost of that is pretty hefty and I am content to schlupp a few more pounds to save money. Also, I will be somewhere in the Appalachian mountains, not Louisiana this winter. Temps will be in the low double digits or the single digits at night with strong winds, most likely.
    ------------------------------------------------------

CBS (Cold Butt Stephen)

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Well I am hoping the right answer is Climashield as that is what I just ordered and received to make a TQ and UQ out of.

My wife is allergic to down so I decided there was no reason to bring it in the house. Looking at some very cold campouts coming up (down to -20*F or so), so I am hoping this works very well.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PGSoft View Post
    Well I am hoping the right answer is Climashield as that is what I just ordered and received to make a TQ and UQ out of.

My wife is allergic to down so I decided there was no reason to bring it in the house. Looking at some very cold campouts coming up (down to -20*F or so), so I am hoping this works very well.
    -20? Holy cow that's cold... Check out Shug's videos, one of them shows his setup where he hit -26... 3 pairs of socks, down booties, SPE, UQ, Down top quilt, lots of hot cocoa and a hot water bottle... I swear that man has antifreeze in his veins...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast