Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Full length tarp ridgeline Versus?

I was wondering if a full length ridgeline is better than just tying to the d-rings on each end of the tarp? Or maybe there is a link to this question already.

Thanks,
    Brian

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    I like the single ridge line because I string it up and then align the tarp coverage to match where my hammock hangs. With the lines off each end of the tarp adjustment is more difficult, in my opinion.

Bat
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    A full length ridgeline makes it a lot easier to set up a tarp in the wind. That is about all I know about it just from reading posts on this site. I still need to test out all of these pieces of knowledge I have been soaking up from this site while out on the trail, however I can see how this could certainly be true.

Banned
    Images
    I use to use a full length, than I switched to two single lines.

Two reasons:

(1) I seem to get a bit tighter ridgeline with two single end pieces. If you are using a SpinnUL or Cuben Fiber, you can 'set and forget' very tight - as neither of these materials stretch, which is very very nice.

(2) Lighter weight. I use 1.25 mm Z-Line (which is 1 gram per meter) for hanging my tarps. By not having an extra 10'odd feet of cord I save myself 3-grams (0.105821886 ounces)

Those two things said... a full length means a slightly easier ridgeline to setup (if you do not keep your 2-piece attached to your tarp) which results in... hmmm.... maybe(??)... a 4 second faster setup.

Either way, using prusik knots to help you adjust your tarp is the best way to go, IMVHO.

Lots of thoughts/reasons folks pick different systems. These are just my own reasons.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    What I have noticed, is that I can get the tarp MUCH more taut when using an 'under' ridge line, then without (or with an 'over' RL).

With the RL, the tarp takes on a natural catenary shape across the top, that gives the entire tarp a smoother finish. (i.e. no wrinkles)

I have shock-cord at the center D-rings, and STL's at the guy-lines; so it's not a case of me pitching the tarp tighter/tauter one way and slack the other.

This setup might just work this way because I have a hex tarp (with straight edges). A fancy tarp with cat-cut edges might work different.

The first wind-storm I was deployed in sold me 1000% that a ridge-line was the best way to do it.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    Snakskins also make set-up and take-down very easy in all weather conditions if you do a continuous ridge line. Not sure how big a help it would be with separate lines.
    I shaved my body hair and lost 0.2 ounces I can keep my full ridge line. Gosh Redwood I hope this doesn't itch, but I couldn't let your weight savings out-do simplicity
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Banned
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    Snakskins also make set-up and take-down very easy in all weather conditions if you do a continuous ridge line. Not sure how big a help it would be with separate lines.
    I shaved my body hair and lost 0.2 ounces I can keep my full ridge line. Gosh Redwood I hope this doesn't itch, but I couldn't let your weight savings out-do simplicity
    lolol,

sorry, I was having some fun at the expense of gram-winnies :-p

Images
    Thanks Guys.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    You can have both. I use a continuous ridgeline that is not continuous. It's 2 linesmtied together in the middle with a sheet bend. That way, if my trees are spaced normally apart and normal size, I use it continuous and have an easier time centering the tarp over the hammock. If the trees are farther apart or very large. I split the line and tie the two lines to the d-rings on the tarp. You can carry a lot less line this way. I didn't do it for the weight, I did it because I had 2 pieces of line about the right length handy. I have yet to change it b/c I like the versatility of it.

Banned
    Images
    I talked about my 2-piece setup in a video I pushed out yesterday. Video is pretty crappy and I was uber tired. But, hopefully you'll see what I've done. I talk about it twice. The first time is about 1-2 minutes into it, and again just past the 8-minute mark.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast