Tarp
    DIY 4-Season, HG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/WBB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post
    I talked about my 2-piece setup in a video I pushed out yesterday. Video is pretty crappy and I was uber tired. But, hopefully you'll see what I've done. I talk about it twice. The first time is about 1-2 minutes into it, and again just past the 8-minute mark.

There is an incredible amount of esoteric gear in this video. Wow.
    Makes me miss N CA/OR so much. Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit/EnoS7
    Tarp
    HG CF w doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ / EE UQ
    Suspension
    Spider w Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    You can have both. I use a continuous ridgeline that is not continuous. It's 2 linesmtied together in the middle with a sheet bend. That way, if my trees are spaced normally apart and normal size, I use it continuous and have an easier time centering the tarp over the hammock. If the trees are farther apart or very large. I split the line and tie the two lines to the d-rings on the tarp. You can carry a lot less line this way. I didn't do it for the weight, I did it because I had 2 pieces of line about the right length handy. I have yet to change it b/c I like the versatility of it.

Thanks great idea.
    I was having the same question in my head about full vs just the d-rings. I do count my grams and ounces but concede the few grams to having versatility with my gear.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    You can have both. I use a continuous ridgeline that is not continuous. It's 2 linesmtied together in the middle with a sheet bend. That way, if my trees are spaced normally apart and normal size, I use it continuous and have an easier time centering the tarp over the hammock. If the trees are farther apart or very large. I split the line and tie the two lines to the d-rings on the tarp. You can carry a lot less line this way. I didn't do it for the weight, I did it because I had 2 pieces of line about the right length handy. I have yet to change it b/c I like the versatility of it.
    This is an interesting idea.. I've been a die-hard CRL guy for a few years and just recently started to play with separate ridge lines and I'm not 100% sold.. yet.

What knot/hitch are you using to connect the two lines? Are you connecting them eye to eye?

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post
    I use to use a full length, than I switched to two single lines.
    Two reasons:
    (1) I seem to get a bit tighter ridgeline with two single end pieces. If you are using a SpinnUL or Cuben Fiber, you can 'set and forget' very tight - as neither of these materials stretch, which is very very nice.
    (2) Lighter weight. I use 1.25 mm Z-Line (which is 1 gram per meter) for hanging my tarps. By not having an extra 10'odd feet of cord I save myself 3-grams (0.105821886 ounces)
    Those two things said... a full length means a slightly easier ridgeline to setup (if you do not keep your 2-piece attached to your tarp) which results in... hmmm.... maybe(??)... a 4 second faster setup.
    Either way, using prusik knots to help you adjust your tarp is the best way to go, IMVHO.
    Lots of thoughts/reasons folks pick different systems. These are just my own reasons.

I don't mind saving a few grams. However, I won't switch to the separate lines just to do away with ten or eleven feet of zingit. I'd end up making a dog bone out of that piece and carrying it anyway. i have thought about using ZLine though and I am trying at for the guylines on the Asym I am making.

As far as prusik knots.. I hate prusik knots. Like, deep hatred. I use mini ucr's instead. I am tentative about using 1.25 Zline with 1.75 zingit ucrs.. concerned it might slip. There's another project I have to undertake. I do use 1.18 Atwood Micro Cord with mini ucrs on the doors of my Superfly and they hold fine, but that's a really low stress application.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    What knot/hitch are you using to connect the two lines? Are you connecting them eye to eye?
    ....It's 2 lines tied together in the middle with a sheet bend....

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Sorry if I missed that...

I am interested in this modular idea for the ridge line as I use both the split lines (aka SMURL) as well as a traditional CRL.

In taking time to contemplate before cutting my current CRL in two it dawned on me that since I don't often use all 37' of the CRL, cutting in what would be the middle of the length would likely not work. I believe it would put the connecting point in an awkward spot, and since I use mini-ucr's that have to slide along the CRL like a prusik, it would prove to be a fail. I have to give thought to how long each side should be and how to connect them..

Sounds great in theory, but not as much so in execution.

How long are you lines?
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    What I have noticed, is that I can get the tarp MUCH more taut when using an 'under' ridge line, then without (or with an 'over' RL).

With the RL, the tarp takes on a natural catenary shape across the top, that gives the entire tarp a smoother finish. (i.e. no wrinkles)

I have shock-cord at the center D-rings, and STL's at the guy-lines;...
    Shock cord on the D-rings I don't believe is the best method. However, it works for you, keep doing it. I do have a cat cut tarp, though. Every tarp RL will take on that cat cut look if pulled taut and downward by the tie outs. The RL is not cat cut. That's just what a "cranked down" tarp looks like, the RL tie outs pointing upward toward the trees.

To me, the line running under the RL never seemed to offer that much support. I seem to be able to crank my tarp down a little more so with the individual lines.

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    ...In taking time to contemplate before cutting my current CRL in two...
    That's exactly what I did with my CRL.

Besides feeling like I have a little more leverage with each single line in terms of a tight pitch, I just grew weary of packing up all that continuous line. Weight is not the issue, its bulk, and I never could keep that beast tidy. HYOH.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    .......Besides feeling like I have a little more leverage with each single line in terms of a tight pitch, I just grew weary of packing up all that continuous line. Weight is not the issue, its bulk, and I never could keep that beast tidy. HYOH.

I never had a problem with keeping it neat. Figure eight it and slide it into my suspension kit..

I'm going to give it a try.. I have plenty of Z-Line and Zingit. My tarps are two 11 footers and one 12 footer.. My CRL is 37 feet and the last four to six feet has been used maybe once.. last year on the AT when I had to pitch a long hang to get away from a really noise inner-city teen group romping around at all hours far outside of hiker bedtime. If I drop 11 feet of unused line over the tarp, I'm at 26 feet. Keep half the unused end just to be safe.. That gets me to.. what a surprise.. 12 feet per side. I have a 5 or 6 foot dog bone in my kit all the time, so if I wanted to convert to a CRL I could put a MSH in the end of the 12 footers, using a trail stick and loop the dog bone eyes over the MSH..
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12