Hammock
    DIY
    Images

trekking pole handle modifications

Gnome's angled handle modification for his trekking poles looks like something I've wanted to do.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...1&d=1289284120
    I have some old ski poles to which I added foam pipe insulation to extend the handle downward, but I'd really like to borrow this technique and make canted handles. What's inside the foam? Did you drill at an angle through a piece of dowel or build up the shape with some plastic medium? I imagine it's pretty important that the handle doesn't twist on the shaft. I especially like the fact that the top of the shaft protrudes from the handle to give a strong connection when used as a spreader bar. I think I'd epoxy a 1/4-20 threaded rod in the end to let it function as a camera support also.

Another handle mod I've thought about is making something similar to Pacer Pole handles, but I haven't gotten my hands on any Pacer Poles (literally) yet. I should probably just dig up a few saplings and carve my own. The roots tend to get fatter and grow sideways when they reach the bottom of our thin Appalachian topsoil, making them perfect for making canes. Alternatively, Griz can you send plaster casts of those left and right handles? I need to look up the molding compound Turnerminator used for his saw handles.

Has anybody else done things along these lines?

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    I usually keep it simple. I just whack off another piece of the foam to stick in the center. I don't drill anything, I just take a big phillips screwdriver and poke it through, by eyeballing it. Then I force the shafts thru the poked hole. I use goop, (cement) on the shaft and in the hole to keep it stable. As you see mine (aint) pretty but they work. I am sure a more elegant method can be worked out,IDEAS?The stix are 1/2 in carbon fiber blanks. Maybe I will post how I built them some time, or perhaps I already had,(senior moment) gnome

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Thanks, Gnome. Simple is good; I'll try that first.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie

Trekking poles

An alternative trekking pole system is to get a couple of old golf clubs, shear their heads off, trim the grips down and make a loop out of mason line for a tether. There are a lot of carbon fiber shafted drivers in peoples garage all over the country and at a garage sale or flea market they are cheap. They are amazingly strong and come within 1.5 oz of the high priced models. Being they are budget friendly you won't leap to your death into a swift running current trying to rescue one if you drop it in. You can also mount a couple of eyelets on the shaft of one of the poles to double as a fishing pole and they are really useful in staking out a tarp, in Jardine fashion.

Happy trails to all,

Mike

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    actually on one of my CF DIYs I just left the center open, seem to be OK, and makes the grip a bit more giving. I also carved out a small notch in the foam to anchor my thumb. I makes it easier to grip uniformly. and to make a R & L stick, gnome

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    My hiking poles are old hockey sticks that broke near the blade. Not pretty or streamlined, but reasonably light for solid wood, and I find them at the rink for free. Very durable also.

now you've inspired me to sort out a canted, padded handle at the top.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

• + New Posts