Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Oware 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE LR + Owyhee
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I surprisingly didn't see any hunters. Saw a few trucks along the roads but no hunters. I definitely had orange on my pack. I was surprisingly the only one. Didn't see any deer either. The rustling of the leaves probably scared away any wildlife.

It was good to see how low my gear could go. I think that's probably the coldest I would go but I think I could go a little lower. Granted the wind was pretty calm both nights. My goal now is to get the weight down and keep getting out there. Thanks for all the replies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for posting this. Good to hear the trail conditions for zaleski. I did my first hang there at the second camp.

I've only done one the loops at tar hollow and enjoyed the trail minus a good quarter mile of bush whacking through thick thorny bushes where the blazes were virtually unnoticeable. I went in july though so I'm sure it would be better this time of year. I didn't do an overnight there but didn't care much for the backpack camp. The good thing about the camp is that it is only 1 mile from the parking lot so you could do an over night and only have a 1 mile walk out or you could go to camp first 1 mile in and set up your stuff and do your hike with less weight. I think zaleski is a little easier but not much. They're both very similar terrain.

Rip waverly, I'm doing an over night the 20-21 and was probably gonna do it at zaleski but wasn't sure yet. What days will you be out. Might see me there

Gun season does not come in until the first full week after thanksgiving. There are just bowhunters in the woods right now. There are less of them plus a deer would have to get pretty close to shoot. Now that I think of it, there are also squirrel hunters in the woods now. Good idea to carry some orange of some kind

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
    Gun season does not come in until the first full week after thanksgiving. There are just bowhunters in the woods right now. There are less of them plus a deer would have to get pretty close to shoot. Now that I think of it, there are also squirrel hunters in the woods now. Good idea to carry some orange of some kind
    True, but a guy with hiking poles is (and sounds like) a large quadruped - better safe than sorry. Was hunting last year with my bow on the special early youth weekend (ie lots of youngsters with shotguns out for perhaps their first hunt) and I kid you not - a dude with trekking poles dressed head to toe in tan carharts (or something similar) came strolling through the area. Yikes.

He didn't seem to be carrying a hammock though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12