Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Blackbishop and jimtanker actually did something similar, Arkwater. I'd be worried about snagging it on something, though - snagging a pack isn't a big deal, but when you're hanging in it at night...to me, that's not worth the pound saved over a light pack. Though the pack cover would protect it somewhat.

Still a worthy project - solve that problem and I'd be willing to give it a shot. I had considered something like a baby sling type thing...wrap it around me and put the gear where you'd put the baby. Convenient access to gear, but probably hot in summer.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Blackbishop and jimtanker actually did something similar, Arkwater. I'd be worried about snagging it on something, though - snagging a pack isn't a big deal, but when you're hanging in it at night...to me, that's not worth the pound saved over a light pack. Though the pack cover would protect it somewhat.

Still a worthy project - solve that problem and I'd be willing to give it a shot. I had considered something like a baby sling type thing...wrap it around me and put the gear where you'd put the baby. Convenient access to gear, but probably hot in summer.
    I had thought about using spectra gridstop for duability, but that stuff is kinda pricey! Maybe make the gear hammock out of something heavier than sil?

The bulk was the one of the main reasons I made the underquilt in the first place (aside from lucking into some $1.yd 1.1 oz nylon and already having the down). Packing that sea kayak for a week took up every cubic inch of space.

Backpacking - meh. A tiny pack is fine and all, but I'm ambivalent about it to be honest. My pack with pads and such is still smaller than most out on the AT.
    Have you attempted or completed an AT Thru-hike?
    Take the AT Thru-hiker Survey

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    Peter Pan,

How much weight do you save by going to an underquilt instead of a 1/4" pad? I think even with a full lenght 1/4" pad and a half lenght 1/4" pad to augment for the shoulder seasons you're still looking at about 16 oz. Below 35 degrees I want the kitchen sink, but for late spring-early fall I want the lightest thing I can get for the comfort.
    Johnny,

Glad that your river trip went well.

Late Spring - early Fall, 40+, sew thru quilts with 800+ down should be well under 16 oz and pack to the approximate size of a nalgene bottle...

Kitchen sinks are interesting...I like warmth too...And while the pad is a low cost way to add warmth it is costly in bulk, fit issue and for some, the sweat issues.....

Alternatively, simply doubling up summer quilts will accomplish the same thing for less bulk and better comfort... Last weekend we were out between Jennings Creek and Daleville on the AT ... Forcast was for Rain and temp drops to 35 Saturday... We knew 20s were a real possibility, so we prepared for 10s.... The temp did drop to low 30s, we were in a hollow by Curry Creek, 1-2 inches of rain fell... I was in a JRB Four Season Set, Nest and NS on the bottom... Smee was in Nest with Weather Shield on the bottom and Old Rag Mtn Top quilt... a third hiking partner ( first time hammocker) was in two year old Four Season Set... We were all warm and toasty....Smee was in BVDs only, I wore BVD and a light fleece top only, and the new guy had silk weight patagonias and a skull cap on... note, no socks and jacket pillows served as head cover also....Smee's back up Stealth quilt went unused, as did all of our butt pads, as did all of camp insulated clothing, as did our rain gear...Full out, all three packs ran between 19-23 pounds each at the start for three days and all were in the 2200 cu in range.... Just another alternative.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234