Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Now for the easy answer...get rid of the pads...or at least any thing bigger than an 11x20 butt pad that serves as pack back...then start planning to hike in day pack sized packs...just another option.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    There are pics of a homemade gearskin on WB and they look like a pretty easy project. Where can you buy shoulder straps? I hope I can find a tutorial on making one.

I bought a Gregory Runout pack for $20 because I needed a daypack and it was a sweet deal. It has a compression flap in the front that acts like a Gearskin as well as the traditional top loading section with side access zipper. I have found that if the compression section is utilized properly you can store much more gear than its advertised 2200 cu in capacity. I have found that I can store my hammock, tarp, BA pad, and cookware in the compression section and I still have the entire body left to fill. It's turned out to be a real gem of a find and could easliy be used for a 2-3 day trip if packed right. I have had about 25 lbs in it and it was very comfortable and carried the weight well. If it had a hydration bladder pocket it would be perfect.

I made our shoulder straps and hipbelts. That that hard, but you could probably just order some replacement pads from Campmor or somewhere and call it a day.
    Have you attempted or completed an AT Thru-hike?
    Take the AT Thru-hiker Survey

Peter Pan,

How much weight do you save by going to an underquilt instead of a 1/4" pad? I think even with a full lenght 1/4" pad and a half lenght 1/4" pad to augment for the shoulder seasons you're still looking at about 16 oz. Below 35 degrees I want the kitchen sink, but for late spring-early fall I want the lightest thing I can get for the comfort.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Now for the easy answer...get rid of the pads...or at least any thing bigger than an 11x20 butt pad that serves as pack back...then start planning to hike in day pack sized packs...just another option.

Pan

You got to love the easy answers. I keep wanting to get a smaller pack. But for some reason even without the pad I have a lot of bulk. Plus if I carry a 4000ci pack, but only fill 3000+ ci of it, I feel like somehow I won.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Bulk schmulk. I like feeling like I'm carrying a big pillow!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post

Pan

would we expect you to say anything different

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I'd like to make my own Gearskin. Is there a site that has a materials list and instructions for making them?
    I have my own gearskin knockoff somewhere around the midpoint of completion. It's not as true of a replica as my Black Cat tarp is - I'm using the suspension and backpanel from a Gregory Z-Pack 'cause I like them - but it'll be pretty close. Hopefully I'll have it trail-ready by Christmas or thereabouts.

And no, I've never seen any instructions on making your own. People can be a little closed-mouthed when cottage industries are involved. Seems like things are fine when the manufacturer posts DIY instructions themselves, but otherwise, people seem nervous about taking away revenues...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    You could sew a couple shoulder straps to the bottom fo your hammock. Put everything in the hammock, use the suspension lines to lash it into a pack shape. A dual purpose gearskin!! Use Jeff's pack cover/gear hammock to cover it!

Something I've been tossing around in my head......

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You don't cut weight by going to an underquilt, but you definitely cut bulk. I like smaller packs even if I add a few ounces...as long as those ounces equal for comfort at camp. I'm with Pan on the compressible insulation over pads.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast