Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    Welcome to the hanging lifestyle. Can't wait for a trip report.
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by patches152 View Post
    a few years ago i was going to school to be a firefighter, took a few of the rescue practices classes, so i know how to tie anchors, i have a decent amount of rope skillz, so i'm sure i can come up with something. prolly just go with the ratchet straps for trees

FYI i'm 5'7" and 220, dropping fast.

i watched all of shug's vids, wondering where i can get a tarp with pullouts like his? also is the bishop bag a mod to a traditional stuff sack or can i buy one with the gusset already into it?
    The tarp shug has is a speer winter tarp, but it didn't come with pull outs. He added them later. As far as I know, there's only one tarp that comes with them by default. The other tarp makers will put them on.

To do it without surgery, look for something called grip clips.

The Black Bishop bag is something made by a member who isn't very active on the forums. No one that I know of actually sells them, though you might be able to convince the person who builds your tarp for you to make one if you go that route.
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    A lot of folks on HF use the Kelty Noah tarps. Either 9X9 or 12X12. I've gotten mine from REI in the past, but it looks like they aren't carrying them anymore (can't find them online or in store). They are available on Amazon for around $50. These tarps are very sturdy and relatively light.
    Anything under $40 on a tarp will likely be heavier or not as sturdy.
    KJ

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook
    Quote Originally Posted by fulminated View Post
    The tarp shug has is a speer winter tarp, but it didn't come with pull outs. He added them later. As far as I know, there's only one tarp that comes with them by default. The other tarp makers will put them on.

To do it without surgery, look for something called grip clips.

The Black Bishop bag is something made by a member who isn't very active on the forums. No one that I know of actually sells them, though you might be able to convince the person who builds your tarp for you to make one if you go that route.
    thanks, i'll see what i can come up with

Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    A lot of folks on HF use the Kelty Noah tarps. Either 9X9 or 12X12. I've gotten mine from REI in the past, but it looks like they aren't carrying them anymore (can't find them online or in store). They are available on Amazon for around $50. These tarps are very sturdy and relatively light.
    Anything under $40 on a tarp will likely be heavier or not as sturdy.
    KJ
    so $40 is the least expensive i should look for in the lightweight department?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook
    so i found this website, trailspace.com. they seem to host reviews from many other sites, with links to sites to purchase. they have TONS of tarps and shelters, and i'll look for some other stuff to see what else i can get. seems to be a pretty good shopping resource so far.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Not super lightweight but not super expensive either is the Hennessy Hex Tarp. I got it and think it is a very good full coverage option that is easy to pitch and is fairly versatile as far as how you configure it (open one side, low and tight, etc.)

I think I got it bought and shipped for around 60 bucks. I picked up 6 aluminum Y stakes at the local outdoors store for 12 I think. The Hex Tarp has guy-lines already attached but I upgraded those to some reflective ones and figure 9s after tripping on the black ones in the yard. I figured I didn't need to take a chance of injuring myself if I was out in the woods somewhere.

New Member calculating infinity's Avatar
    Hammock
    diy speer type
    Tarp
    jrb 8x8
    Insulation
    ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    http://jacksrbetter.com/Poncho-Shelter.htm
    its about $54 right now, weighs under 10 oz and is multipurpose
    Last edited by calculating infinity; 11-08-2010 at 15:36.

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    If you're looking for cheap, I've had good success with my tyvek tarp. It doesn't seem to be a popular choice among many but I think it's worth looking into if you're into cheap functional gear. For me, the most comfortable gear setup is the one I can afford to replace.

It's light but doesn't pack down very small. You can get it in 9' wide sections, so I did a 9x10. It roles up small enough to be worth the cost imo. I just used some double sided carpet tape and tyvek tape to reinforce the grommets I put in and even added some guy line connections. If I had it to do over again, I'd skip the grommets and just tape on some tyvek loops but the grommets work too.

My setup was originally intended as a tarp tent so they guy points don't quite work for hammock setup, but could easily be corrected since it's all just taped on anyways. I've used it for the last year and stayed dry in the rain without issues. To be fair, I've not tested in high wind but I don't expect any problems with it. At the least, it'll hold me over until I can justify the cost of a silnylon tarp or feel comfortable enough to make my own.

The only reasons I want a silnylon tarp over my tyvek right now is that the silnylon will pack down much smaller and if done right can do a tighter pitch which would be good for those windy nights.

YMMV

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook
    Quote Originally Posted by scum View Post
    If you're looking for cheap, I've had good success with my tyvek tarp. It doesn't seem to be a popular choice among many but I think it's worth looking into if you're into cheap functional gear. For me, the most comfortable gear setup is the one I can afford to replace.

It's light but doesn't pack down very small. You can get it in 9' wide sections, so I did a 9x10. It roles up small enough to be worth the cost imo. I just used some double sided carpet tape and tyvek tape to reinforce the grommets I put in and even added some guy line connections. If I had it to do over again, I'd skip the grommets and just tape on some tyvek loops but the grommets work too.

My setup was originally intended as a tarp tent so they guy points don't quite work for hammock setup, but could easily be corrected since it's all just taped on anyways. I've used it for the last year and stayed dry in the rain without issues. To be fair, I've not tested in high wind but I don't expect any problems with it. At the least, it'll hold me over until I can justify the cost of a silnylon tarp or feel comfortable enough to make my own.

The only reasons I want a silnylon tarp over my tyvek right now is that the silnylon will pack down much smaller and if done right can do a tighter pitch which would be good for those windy nights.

YMMV
    which we get a lot of here in reno.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Check out the Equinox silnylon fly (comes in 2 sizes, I believe.) Campmor doesn't carry them any more but here are several links. You'll probably want to upgrade to silnylon anyway.....

People don't like the grommets, but gross-grain loops can be added.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...b05746d54f919c

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast