WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ TQ
    Suspension
    WS to Ridged Strap
    Images
    In my testing, I have tried for quite awhile trying to get the seal right. No luck. I am actually getting pretty frustrated with it. The best seal I have been able to make has been using "Triangle-things" to pull the suspension forward and change the angle of the suspension. However, if I do get a seal on my shoulders I quickly loose it again if I move.

I have not been able to seal the feet at all.

At this moment I am adjusting the suspension using cord locks at each end with suspension directly over each hammock end.

I was pretty excited to get this, the reviews and videos look pretty straight forward and easy to use. My experience is a lot different.

I am using a WBBB, and am 5'11, 200ish pounds.

Thanks for your input.
    - William -

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. - Psalms 119:9

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    If your IX UQ edges are so sensitive to leakage that cold air pours in when you move, it's too loose. Try tying a knot in the shock cord to shorten it several inches, and then hang it on the hammock whippings.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Good point. I've recommended 3/4 UQs for many people shorter than 5'5".
    I am 5'6" and have had no problems at all with my 3/4 Baby Orca's fit on my Eno DN.

That said, for those having trouble with open ends, wouldn't attaching a velcro strip along the bottom of the hammock and on the quilt solve the problem? For those who do not want to sew onto the bottom of their hammock, fabric glue should work, wouldn't it?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I just did another hang last night here in St. George, Utah. The low was 48 F, calm conditions. I was wearing shorts, a light fleece top, bamboo socks, and a hat. My top quilt was a burrow by stormcrow and I had the IX quilt on the bottom. The hammock was the GT Nano 7.

I had a family member help adjust and get the quilt to fit and these are my observations:

The quilt fit fine around my shoulders, but we couldn't get a solid seal around my feet. My feet didn't bother me too much, but if I rolled or shifted too much on my back, I would lose the seal around my shoulders. In other words, if I could sleep in the same position all night, I could get a good seal around my shoulders, but not around my feet.

The trouble is that I don't sleep in one position all night long. Last night I shifted to my side a few times and I could tell when the seal was broken.

I think that the addition of shock cord in the ends would help make the IX UQ a little more flexible in adapting to shifting positions during the night.

In my test last night, I slept okay, but there were times I was tempted to get another UQ. I am really hopeful I can take this UQ to lower temps, bit right now, I can only get to the 50s because of how I gain/lose heat through the night.

I'll see if i have time this week during my trip to make some mods to this very promising quilt to see if i can get it to lower temps.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    That said, for those having trouble with open ends, wouldn't attaching a velcro strip along the bottom of the hammock and on the quilt solve the problem
    Last night in my delirium, I thought about sewing the IX directly to a hammock. It would make a great seal 100% of the tome, and if you wanted more insulation, you could always add another UQ.

Hmmmmm. This sounds like a new hammock in the making...

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ah, I wish I had a sewing talent! Please let us know how that project works out. I just finished watching Doctori and Bonsaihiker's terrific video and I noticed that the IX UG had multiple loops at the head end and was cinched up pretty snug. The Shamu that I have only has a loop at each corner and none in the middle of the ends. I'll fuss with it this weekend and try MacEntyre's tip of shortening up on the shockcord first, and then other cinching combos to see what works to get a better peripheral seal.
    Solvitur Ambulando - Diogenes

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    In my experience, shortening the shock cord has a limit in the overall effectiveness because you also can diminish the pocket of air between the hammock and the IX. The IX UQ works differently than most UQs in that there needs to be a gap between the hammock and the quilt to work most effectively. Too tight and you snug the UQ right against the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Small Hex
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Last night in my delirium, I thought about sewing the IX directly to a hammock. It would make a great seal 100% of the tome, and if you wanted more insulation, you could always add another UQ.

Hmmmmm. This sounds like a new hammock in the making...
    I was thinking of this idea as well, but the guy who runs our local gear shop thought that sewing through the hammock would diminish it's integrity and ability to support the rated weight.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that? Because if this could work, I would definitely do it...

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    In my experience, shortening the shock cord has a limit in the overall effectiveness because you also can diminish the pocket of air between the hammock and the IX.
    That's why we make them with a differential cut. Only the inner layer is snug against the hammock, but it has the Torso Heater hanging underneath it to mitigate compression from the snug fit. Compression is what you want to avoid.

Thing1 and I are two very different sized people, and neither one of us has had a problem hanging IX UQs. We hang them pretty tight, so that when wind gets under the tarp, it won't get under the IX UQ.

I don't mean to argue, Dejoha, but my experience has been the opposite of yours!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    That's why we make them with a differential cut. Only the inner layer is snug against the hammock, but it has the Torso Heater hanging underneath it to mitigate compression from the snug fit. Compression is what you want to avoid.

Thing1 and I are two very different sized people, and neither one of us has had a problem hanging IX UQs. We hang them pretty tight, so that when wind gets under the tarp, it won't get under the IX UQ.

I don't mean to argue, Dejoha, but my experience has been the opposite of yours!
    MacEntyre, is it possible(within reason anyway) to hang them too tight?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast