Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I think if I had some raw IX and had a sewing machine and skill to run it, I would have take an INNER layer of nylon of a certain size, and sew to it an outer layer of IX which is a bit bigger. Then maybe sew another somewhat larger layer of IX to that, and so on for however many layers desired. [/U]
    That sounds like a perfect approach to optimixe the efficiency of IX (maintaining the air gap) and provide for a pretty failsafe setup! I think you're on to something there, BillyBob!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ TQ
    Suspension
    WS to Ridged Strap
    Images
    I just purchased a IX UQ from Mac a couple of weeks ago and started to ponder some of the same issues. I have the following points to add.....

• It is warm and light
    • The air gaps at the top are very difficult to seal
    • it NEEDS a outer shell (Too delicate) - I will be adding one this week

I am pondering if this is really a UQ or a UQ add on. I think it would be great to add to my existing UQ.

I am also pondering adding a Nylon \ Syl-Nylon header and footer to help seal the gaps. I theorize that adding a channel directly to the IX might bunch it too much and actually hurt the seal. However, if I add a 6" insulated seal channel to the top \ bottom it may form the seal without bunching the IX adversely .

I am also pondering adding a light insulation when I add the outer shell.
    - William -

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. - Psalms 119:9

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    That sounds like a perfect approach to optimixe the efficiency of IX (maintaining the air gap) and provide for a pretty failsafe setup! I think you're on to something there, BillyBob!
    Of course, the down side is that the inner layer of nylon would provide essentially NO insulation, adding ONLY weight. About the only benefit of the added weight would be allowing the inner layer to be pulled snug against your back without also pulling the IX snug. The question is how much benefit would that provide. I suspect a good bit. At least an outer layer might provide some additional wind and moisture block, depending on what material is used. Now, you could just use another layer of IX for this inner layer. But, when pulled tight against your back, would that provide any more insulation than the plain nylon? And if it did not, or was only very slightly warmer, what would the cost and weight be compared to a piece of nylon? Just thinking out loud. But TeeDee has done some projects of this nature, and they have been very warm for him.

Quote Originally Posted by WLMiller54 View Post
    I just purchased a IX UQ from Mac a couple of weeks ago and started to ponder some of the same issues. I have the following points to add.....

• It is warm and light
    • The air gaps at the top are very difficult to seal
    • it NEEDS a outer shell (Too delicate) - I will be adding one this week

I am pondering if this is really a UQ or a UQ add on. I think it would be great to add to my existing UQ.

I am also pondering adding a Nylon \ Syl-Nylon header and footer to help seal the gaps. I theorize that adding a channel directly to the IX might bunch it too much and actually hurt the seal. However, if I add a 6" insulated seal channel to the top \ bottom it may form the seal without bunching the IX adversely .

I am also pondering adding a light insulation when I add the outer shell.
    For some reason, I have had no trouble getting an excellent seal at foot and head with mine, as long as it is adjusted so that the top edge is an inch or so below my neck/shoulder intersection. It really seals up good. The only thing is I wonder if it is then a little snug under my back for full benefit. It is always plenty loose from butt down. I hang it as loose as possible and still maintain a seal, hoping to minimize tightness under my back. The experimentation with adjustment is probably why I can now get into the 40s, but when I 1st got it high 50s seemed to be pushing it.

So far, my no-shell Mac IX UQ has proven remarkably durable. Considering it appears to be tissue paper! It is certainly about 10 times more durable than my original HH SS OCF pad, though I have managed to keep that beat up rascal going for 3 years now. I am not yet sure if the 2 layers of IX are as warm as the HH OCF pad plus space blanket. But it might be once I test it inside the HH undercover as a HH pad replacement. So far I have really only used it by itself. I am also looking forward to testing it as HH pad augmentation, or inside a PeaPod.

The major advantage of trying to get by without any shell is weight. With my HHSS style IX UQ, both layers are only ~ 8 oz, FULL LENGTH! Even if I am dissapointed that I have not yet been able to approach freezing with both layers, if I can only consistently do mid to high 40s, is that not great? For full length, 8 oz? Plus with apparently pretty good wind and water resistance and quick drying built in?

So, I am really quite happy with the IX all things considered. But I do wonder if I could get more out of it by adding that inner layer to allow a "pull snug/seal tight around edges" approach hopefully while maintaining a small full length air gap.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    One of the mods I'm going to make on my IX UQ is to add shock cord and channels on the ends so I can get a better seal on the head/foot sections.
    Quote Originally Posted by edbeteze View Post
    Yes--that's what I think the Shamu needs to help snug up the ends while allowing the bottom to hang without undue pressure.
    Folks, before you do that mod, try tightening your suspension. You might be pleasantly surprised at the results.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I think if I had some raw IX and had a sewing machine and skill to run it, I would have take an INNER layer of nylon of a certain size, and sew to it an outer layer of IX which is a bit bigger.
    All Molly Mac Gear IX UQs, whether covered with nylon or not, are constructed with a differential cut. That's why I suggest tightening the suspension as a way of closing the end gaps.

I like the sil cover -- is that now standard? Mine doesn't have it. What does that add to the qualities of the UQ?
    Quote Originally Posted by edbeteze
    TTTGear sells a 2-layer IX UQ with a nylon cover (Shamu) and a 2-layer IX UQ without nylon cover.
    The Shamu and Baby Orca have nylon covers on the outside.

All TTTGear IX UQs are Molly Mac Gear products, designed by yours truly.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I tried tightening the Shamu as much as I could and I got the ends somewhat snug (the foot end better than the head end). The problem was the bottom of the UQ was stretched tight against the WB and didn't have any air gap despite the differential cut (which is substantial and really well-designed).

Now, I may be laboring under an apprehension here in that what I think is too snug on the bottom may not be too snug after all. IOW, having the UQ really tight against the bottom may be OK. I'll test it that way and see if it makes any difference. I really want to get this dialed in because the weight saving is terrific--only 12 oz for 3-layers (Shamu + IX insert + stuff sack)--and even when I had gaps at the ends, I was OK (not toasty warm) at 36*F. If I can seal it up properly, I think it will be even better. Testing continues....
    Solvitur Ambulando - Diogenes

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Another tip... make sure your head and neck are not in the UQ. Your shoulders should be spreading out the head end and closing the edge gaps.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    MacEntyre, I tried to set up the Shamu the same way it shows in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5nNNnMXl-c

I pulled the head end down to my shoulders but still got a gap there. I'm wondering if attaching the shockcord over the gathered end of the WB might not be the best way. I'll have to play with attachment points like over the ridgeline, spreading out the shockcord at the ends a bit, etc.

I really want to get the most out of the Shamu--I think it has the potential to offer the best weight/warmth ratio of the synthetic options (maybe even down). I just want to make sure I'm deploying it optimally.
    Solvitur Ambulando - Diogenes

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edbeteze View Post
    ...wondering if attaching the shockcord over the gathered end of the WB might not be the best way.
    That's how I do it on all hammocks. It works well on the WBBB.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Mac, I think my desire to add the channels on the head/foot is based on my experience and observations when I've set up the UQ for other people and made adjustments for myself. My kids, especially, need this mod since they aren't big enough to flatten the sides. I think these are excellent quilts for them since they are so light to pack, but I want to be sure the ends seal. A smaller version might work, but when I spend the money, I want something that will grow with them and the full length is perfect.

Also, fiddling for a perfect fit on something like this often takes a second person, which I don't always have on hand. Getting up in the night further complicates the issue because I'm not awake enough to fiddle. Just a little shock cord would be enough for these instances, I think. No hassle, no worry, no fiddling or adjusting.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    My kids, especially, need this mod since they aren't big enough to flatten the sides.
    Good point. I've recommended 3/4 UQs for many people shorter than 5'5".
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast