Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CCF vs. Therma-Rest

Just wondering ya'lls thoughts on the differences between a CCF pad (yoga mat) that costs $20 and a Therma-Rest (or similar, Big Agnes, ALPS) that costs >$50

is one better? more lightweight? better R-value? warmer?? more comfortable??? breathable??

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    In the past I have found my Thermarest more comfortable, warmer and pack smaller than any CCF pad I have used.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

I'm assuming you mean for hammock use? A thermarest will squirt out from under you in a hammock unless it is contained inside an SPE. In an SPE, a thermarest is VERY comfortable, and, depending on which model, quite warm. Evazote is "sticky" and tends not to move as much in a hammock.

Banned
    Images
    Harness the power of Down.... try an Exped Downmat 7 Love mine.

odds - thnx

I'm assuming you mean for hammock use?
    of course

I have a No-Sew Poncho Liner UQ....and was planning on using a ccf pad as additional insulation....but I cut my ccf pad in twain (lengthwise) to act as side-insulators
    I have double layer DIY gather-end hammock that a pad can fit inside

like this...

the middle section (thick lines) are the body of the hammock
    the side sections (thick lines) are "wings" i added to the hammock to make it... bigger?? footbox??? shelf??? I don't know exactly what they are gonna end up serving the purpose of...but they are there....and I will post results on what they do in the future...if they remain on the hammock
    the thin lines (vertical) are another layer of fabric I added so a pad can be inserted...if need be..
    the thin lines (horizontal) are just stitches that keep the pad from moving around....and I can place my two halves of the ccf pad for side protection
    .........essentially a SPE integrated into the hammock itself...although not as effective

Harness the power of Down
    yeah...i will...one day....I don't do much winter camping (I live in Mississippi)...just wanted opinions on which is better...and possibly justify purchasing a Therma-Rest over a ccf

Harness the power of Down.... try an Exped Downmat 7
    sorry..... I thought you meant for a UQ......... down for a pad...what a concept!!! but the >$100 price tag scares me

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdbart View Post
    Just wondering ya'lls thoughts on the differences between a CCF pad (yoga mat) that costs $20 and a Therma-Rest (or similar, Big Agnes, ALPS) that costs >$50

is one better? more lightweight? better R-value? warmer?? more comfortable??? breathable??
    Forget yoga mats, they are waaaay too heavy. Comparing CCF sleep pads to inflatable sleep pads is what you are really looking for I think. I have been using CCF for a long time, its light, warm and cheap. I use a Z-Lite along with Wal-Mart Blue wings inside a segmented pad extender I built that has a fleece middle and rip-stop wings. The fleece helps keep moisture away from my body and the Z-Lite is egg-crate shaped so what moisture does collect stays in the bottom of the "egg" and away from me.

My inflatable pad, which no longer holds air, was too much of a hassle to use in the hammock for me; even in the SPE. I abandoned the use of it. However some use it successfully by not inflating it all the way but I think most have migrated to using the Exped Down Mat and not just the inflatable.

Additionally if you have a double layer hammock you can use the pad/wing design sans the SPE by adding small velcro tabs to hold the wings to the pad and then inserting the whole thing in-between the layers; this hold sit all together very well.

Either option will require you to manage moisture so you don't wake up with a wet backside as neither is breathable.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    CCF is cheapest and lightest and is far more comfy in hammock applications than it is on the ground. CCF is NOT a yoga mat. Yoga mats are made of something else, and won't insulate much, if at all.

Thermarest is heavier unless you get the NeoAir, which works fine in combo with an SPE - I've used mine with a sportsman's blanket or space blanket to cut down on the cold air coming in over the sides (through the hammock fabric).

Exped down mats are heavvvvvyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy - but great on the ground.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    CCF is cheapest and lightest and is far more comfy in hammock applications than it is on the ground. CCF is NOT a yoga mat. Yoga mats are made of something else, and won't insulate much, if at all.

Thermarest is heavier unless you get the NeoAir, which works fine in combo with an SPE - I've used mine with a sportsman's blanket or space blanket to cut down on the cold air coming in over the sides (through the hammock fabric).

Exped down mats are heavvvvvyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy - but great on the ground.
    The NeoAir doesn't have a lot of insulation value (IMO) and ceases to be comfortable for me around 35 degrees F.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Comparing CCF sleep pads to inflatable sleep pads is what you are really looking for I think
    BINGO

CCF is NOT a yoga mat
    my mistake

Exped Downmat 7
    I could be wrong, but.......this is inflatable right??.....so what is the down actually doing ....the purpose of down is to create "fluff" as insulation- i.e....create an air pocket of dead air that insulates....if it is inflatable, then wouldn't that negate the need for down????

I use a Z-Lite along with Wal-Mart Blue wings inside a segmented pad extender I built that has a fleece middle and rip-stop wings. The fleece helps keep moisture away from my body and the Z-Lite is egg-crate shaped so what moisture does collect stays in the bottom of the "egg" and away from me.

My inflatable pad, which no longer holds air, was too much of a hassle to use in the hammock for me; even in the SPE. I abandoned the use of it. However some use it successfully by not inflating it all the way but I think most have migrated to using the Exped Down Mat and not just the inflatable.

Additionally if you have a double layer hammock you can use the pad/wing design sans the SPE by adding small velcro tabs to hold the wings to the pad and then inserting the whole thing in-between the layers; this hold sit all together very well.

Either option will require you to manage moisture so you don't wake up with a wet backside as neither is breathable.
    AWESOME INFO

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast