Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I like it! It's just that a few of the places I've been have been quite warm and buggy, and this net would not work very well there (no leg/back protection). I can see this working in cooler temps where you'll have the quilts for leg protection.
    I've spent a few of those nights myself and can relate! Personal style will dictate, of course, and this minimal set up will not be a match for everyone.

If it were me, and i was expecting those conditions, I would have a double layer hammock, which would solve the back biting if you have no UQ, and I would probably have my silk sleeping sheet for my legs. Even when I lived in muggy/buggy Virginia, there was a point in the middle of the night when I needed some insulation, although not much.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunHiker View Post
    For the fixed ridgeline setup, could you just place a toggle on the ridgeline and pass the ridgeline through the pinhole? Or does there have to be shock cord for strain relief?
    I like having access to the ridgeline for storage.
    As far as I can tell, you wouldn't need to modify it at all. Just drape the whole thing over the ridgeline and connect it with a prussic the same way as illustrated. The only thing you may need to do differently at that point is increase the width of the netting, but (in my experience) most places sell it in 60" widths, so this shouldn't be an issue
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    another thought i just had... i usually only hang my black diamond orbit lantern from my SRL... if i were to switch out the toggle on the inside of the 2" webbing patch for a biner i could hang the lantern from it and make the fact that the SRL is outside the net moot... sorry, just thinking out loud here...
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lincolnstrong View Post
    As far as I can tell, you wouldn't need to modify it at all. Just drape the whole thing over the ridgeline and connect it with a prussic the same way as illustrated. The only thing you may need to do differently at that point is increase the width of the netting, but (in my experience) most places sell it in 60" widths, so this shouldn't be an issue
    When I put the design together, I wanted to accommodate fixed ridge lines in a way that you wouldn't need to disconnect it, so the netting could be easily removed. But, yes, you can integrate them by disconnecting your ridge line. Width is the next major issue, and it all depends on how deep your sag is if the HUG will be wide enough. In my tests, the HUG was just wide enough; it doesn't wrap all the way to the back.

I'm hoping to post photos by this afternoon.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lincolnstrong View Post
    another thought i just had... i usually only hang my black diamond orbit lantern from my SRL... if i were to switch out the toggle on the inside of the 2" webbing patch for a biner i could hang the lantern from it and make the fact that the SRL is outside the net moot... sorry, just thinking out loud here...
    The toggle on the inside is a cord lock so you can make adjustments from inside the net, but you could switch up the hardware any way you like. Shock cord may not work as it may sag too much. I would use something like Lash-It or dynaglide and feed that through to your biner.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    The toggle on the inside is a cord lock so you can make adjustments from inside the net, but you could switch up the hardware any way you like. Shock cord may not work as it may sag too much. I would use something like Lash-It or dynaglide and feed that through to your biner.
    making adjustments from inside would be pretty nice, but if it came down to it i would be willing to sit up to adjust the prussik in order to retain a place to hang stuff inside. again, just thinking out loud. when i make one i will probably do it exactly according to your directions and go from there (if tweaking is even needed... probably not lol)

in case you didn't notice, i really like this design and plan on making one as soon as i get home from the office tonight
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    BB 1.1 + 1.7DL, TRAV 1.7DL, HHEXPLR
    Tarp
    Superfly, HH Hex
    Insulation
    3S Incubator & CN
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Dutchies
    Dejoha: Did you use Illustrator to create your graphic diagram?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroLozen View Post
    Dejoha: Did you use Illustrator to create your graphic diagram?
    Yes. A lot of people ask me, so that is the secret. I'm a marketer by profession and a graphic designer by training/school. There are other tools that can make vector-based drawings, but Adobe Illustrator is my choice. I'm using v.CS5.

I actually like hand drawing illustrations, and will sometimes scan those in and re-draw them using vectors. Vector-based drawings allow me to scale without losing image integrity or resolution along with quick changes to color and line when necessary. My computer-drawn illustrations you find on this forum are pretty basic, but I'm glad they work for people. I'm a visual person and having clear, simple illustrations really helps me.

On occasion I will make an illustration for an HF member to benefit the community. Send me a PM if you have an idea. If it suits me, I'll do it. Some people ask if I'll do freelance on the side, and the answer is yes. Just send me a PM.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Photos of the HUG in action

Okay, here are some pictures I just took of my HUG in action. The UQ is the 3-season Stormcrow Crowsnest. I can't tell you how much I like the HUG -- so simple to set up, get in, get out. I think it feels roomy too!

Anyway...

The HUG, hanging.

Me, being HUG'd.

My toggle of choice.

Inside the HUG. Lots of extra material to create a solid seal.

This is the inside view of the cord lock adjust point on the inside. You can see that I used some scrap webbing to make the patch. Works great!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks Dejoha! I am going to make one of these over the winter in preparation for the buggy seasons. Your illustrations and photos are fab!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast