DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I only stealth camp, so the last thing I want is reflective guy lines. However, I like the idea of tying a 3" piece onto my tent stakes and onto the inside zipper pull on my hammock netting. Then, I can be stealthy AND upright!

I like the Lawson glowire guy lines. bright color choices to keep Scouts from tripping and ripping them out even on our ground tents and flies. 2 strands of 3m reflective stuff to show up brightly at night; even the black line is quite reflective.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Glowire is good stuff. Guywire if non-reflective is called for (stealth).

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You might be misunderstanding how reflective cord works. It’s been my experience (with nite-eze cord) that it absolutely doesn’t “glow” unless a light is shined on it (in which case you’d see the tarp/hammock anyway). Even when there is illumination, you don’t see the reflection unless you are looking at the correct angle.

So reflective cord doesn’t light up the whole camp and it It is just as stealthy as non-reflective cord unless a light hits it and you are looking at it from the necessary angle.

It does illuminate for the person with the light who is returning, perhaps groggy-eye, form a short night walk.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    You might be misunderstanding how reflective cord works. It’s been my experience (with nite-eze cord) that it absolutely doesn’t “glow” unless a light is shined on it (in which case you’d see the tarp/hammock anyway). Even when there is illumination, you don’t see the reflection unless you are looking at the correct angle.

So reflective cord doesn’t light up the whole camp and it It is just as stealthy as non-reflective cord unless a light hits it and you are looking at it from the necessary angle.

It does illuminate for the person with the light who is returning, perhaps groggy-eye, form a short night walk.
    It is pretty cool how that works. Same with street signs, hi-viz clothing, etc. Put a flashlight between your eyes and look at something reflective = darn near blinding! A couple degree change in angle sure makes a difference.

For me, you could set a line on fire and I'd probably still trip on it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I understand that, but I prefer non-reflective for stealth. Complements my brown dyed Kevlar webbing and camo tarp.

When camping in close proximity to others I use orange Glowire to reduce the tripping potential. But I'm solo about 95% of the time.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I understand that, but I prefer non-reflective for stealth. Complements my brown dyed Kevlar webbing and camo tarp.

When camping in close proximity to others I use orange Glowire to reduce the tripping potential. But I'm solo about 95% of the time.
    I gave up on reflective after I noticed the little specs cover EVERYTHING in your home. Seriously, I wish I never used a flashlight that one night in my basement. It kicked off a raging OCD session. We'll leave that thread alone because I'm pretty sure the guy from Lawson hired a hitman to take me out.

You both will soon learn to always move slowly and intentionally around a hammock camp, day and night, no matter what cords you use. I wish I could say that we all learn this without too many bumps and bruises but that wouldn’t be entirely truthful!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Freestone View Post
    You both will soon learn to always move slowly and intentionally around a hammock camp, day and night, no matter what cords you use. I wish I could say that we all learn this without too many bumps and bruises but that wouldn’t be entirely truthful!
    Been doing outdoor stuff for more than 50 years and $#!+ still happens.

I just bought a roll of glow in the dark micro cord to try using as tie outs for my tarp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast