Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Straps w/Tri-glide
    Ok.. I think it's settled. I'm going to get an ENO DN for now (as winter is approaching) and look for good deals on bug nets, etc until spring time. Maybe I'll end up with a HH by that time.

Now, this is my big question.. What do I do for eno suspension? Does anyone make poly tree straps that are as easy as eno's? (or easier. It seems like the multiple loops that you just hook and lay are quick and easy to use) The warbonnet straps seem to be what I'm looking for, but I don't think they sell them separately.

Side note,
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogn8r View Post
    I don't use a bug net on any of my hammocks, I treat all gear with Permetherine to take care of the bugs, so a full bug net is not on my list of must have's. Also, the Hennessey tarp is small, go for the upgraded tarp if you like real weather protection or want a place to hang out in during rainy weather.
    Isn't that a carcinogen that causes lung tumors? o.O
    Last edited by Nizned; 10-26-2010 at 15:49.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Buckes and loop to replace ENO suspension here. Just run the chain link through the end channel.

Webbing at whatever length you want here.

The webbing and cinch buckles allow for more minute adjustability than the ENO straps and they do not stretch.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    I like to recommend the grand trunk ultra light as a first hammock.
    its $20. and you can use it as a learning tool. put whoopieslings on it, add a ridge line. tinker around with it. I use it as a second layer for my HH sometimes. Then you will have a hammock for a friend once you decide you have to have a WBBB. and it makes a great lounge hammock for campsites. did I mention its only $20.
    I'll second this recommendation... I started out with a Grand Trunk Nano 7 first, and just picked up a Grand Trunk Ultralight on Amazon for $17 - can't beat that price, and it's plenty comfortable for me. I switched to whoopie slings on mine, since it came with a super basic rope suspension. Great way to get your feet wet, and at that price it's worth having one just for playing around with

I'm pretty much decided on picking up a BlackBird in the near future, but in the meantime I'm using my GT to tinker with insulation, suspension systems and of course go camping

Edit: for your suspension question: I personally would recommend as a newbie either picking up an all-in-one suspension system from Whoopieslings.com, JacksRbetter.com or something like the JRB Tri-Glides (see Grizz aka ProfessorHammock's hammock videos on youtube). The tri-glides aren't as easy to adjust as whoopie slings or cinch buckles, but they're about as uncomplicated as it gets in hammock suspension; it's like putting on your belt. If you get a set of Dutch Clips with them it's even easier to set up. Any of these options gives you a complete setup and you'll find it easy to get help either from the vendor or from folks on the forum if you need help setting it up.
    Last edited by jloden; 10-26-2010 at 21:41. Reason: addressed suspension question

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Straps w/Tri-glide
    Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    Buckes and loop to replace ENO suspension here. Just run the chain link through the end channel.

Webbing at whatever length you want here.

The webbing and cinch buckles allow for more minute adjustability than the ENO straps and they do not stretch.
    Ok, I'm not sure I completely get these buckles.. You buy the straps and buckles, then do you put the buckles on the straps and they work as a belt-like constriction around the tree? Then just normally hook the caribiner from the eno to the buckles on the strap? Or do you do something with the line/caribiner on the eno?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizned View Post
    Ok, I'm not sure I completely get these buckles.. You buy the straps and buckles, then do you put the buckles on the straps and they work as a belt-like constriction around the tree? Then just normally hook the caribiner from the eno to the buckles on the strap? Or do you do something with the line/caribiner on the eno?
    For the AHE cinch buckles, you get the cinch buckle with a continuous loop already attached. The webbing goes around the tree - it can be either pulled through the eye in the strap (lark's head), or you can use a carabiner or dutch clip. Whichever method you use, the tree strap goes around the tree and you have one end hanging down from the tree. This dangling end goes through the cinch buckles threaded like a belt, and you adjust it same as you would any gear strap. Most folks recommend that you tie a slippery half hitch in the strap (behind the buckles) after you adjust it, so it doesn't slip when you get in the hammock.

The carabiner from the Eno goes to the continuous loop that comes on the cinch buckles, just clip it on to the loop and you're all set. Alternatively you could get rid of the carabiners entirely and just use a lark's head with the continuous loop. To do this, feed the loop through the sewn channel, then pull the cinch buckles through the open end of the loop and tighten so it loops around itself. That saves you some weight, and/or you could use those carabiners with your tree straps if you don't want to use a lark's head to attach to the tree.

Hope that helps explain, or at least didn't make it any more confusing

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 single, 2QZQ HH, GTUL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti / Black Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    if you jump on youtube, and type in hammock suspension in the search bar.
    you will find all kinds of videos on it.
    I suggest watching grizz's videos. here are the links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f2Xts3Spsc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPpnd...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw6P3...eature=related

and don't forget shug's marvelous world of hammock entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery
    Because you fall through the clouds if you try to lay on them, so the next best thing is a hammock.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I have a Trek Light double hammock which is pretty much the same as an ENO double. I attached SMC descender rings (as used in Grizz's video #1) to the rope that was already on the ends of my hammock using a larks head knot. The rings are now permanently attached to my hammock. Then I got webbing with a loop sewn into each end. Get whatever length you like. I got 8 ft. straps, but made the mistake of getting nylon webbing. Don't get nylon, it stretches like nobody's business. The ENO slap straps are nylon. My next straps will be 10 ft. Poly straps from AHE. AHE also sells the descender rings, or I get mine from REI.
    This system has been super easy to use for me. Easy to put up and adjust using the webbing straps, a carabiner, and the rings.
    KJ

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Chinook 14X12
    Insulation
    KAQ w/ deep winter
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I own an ENO DN and am also a noob. that being said, I will tell you I struggled with suspension. for some reason it boggles my mind, brain fart I guess. Anyways, when my DN came in I grabbed a couple of my four wheeler tie down straps and used the stock suspension rope and biners. I attached the stock system to the straps via marlin spike hitch (watch Shug's video, it's in slow motion!). I have been hanging ever since. To adjust I just undo the marlin spike hitch on one end or both ends and readjust. this way does take a little more time and is not as user friendly but effective. After reading several posts I took a piece of 550 cord and tied a temporary structural ridgeline, just to see what a difference it would make. WOW, what a difference. Now that I have hung my DN several times and am use to it I have decided to remove the stock rope and biner from the hammock and replace with whoopie slings (makes adjustments quicker and easier), I am going to purchase poly straps and attach whoopies to straps via marlin spike hitch. Also, I am going to purchase a Dynaglide Adjustable Ridge Line. To me this is the simplest and most flexable type of suspension system.

This is just my thought process!

I plan on purchasing from a member of HF, link below:
    http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/

Again, Thankee Shug for the noob-e videos, just finished the series for the second time!

Tbull

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Straps w/Tri-glide
    Ok, I think I'm going to get poly strap from Arrowhead and a pair of JRB tri-glides.

Are the Arrowhead straps 1-in wide? Is so, how long should I get? The longer I get the easier it would be to find trees "close" enough together, right? 10ft straps would be good?

Thanks you everyone for all the marvelous help, by the way!
    Last edited by Nizned; 10-29-2010 at 00:41.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I ordered 10 ft. poly straps from AHE a few days ago. Made the mistake of making my own straps from nylon webbing and paid the price with way stretchy suspension. My first straps were 8 ft. which worked well, but I decided to go a little longer to give myself more tree options.
    Also ordered the triangle thingies to see how they work to support my UQ.
    KJ

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12