WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post

Yes. It appears to be the same thing. And it is very similar, thought not quite the same thing. I don't think it will work equally as well, but I do know it will work well - I've done it (not with underlayment, but with the microfoam used in shipping large screen tv's), and it worked. It's bulkier and heavier, but could be more obtainable.
    I just installed a bunch of monitors at one of my job locations. I collected all this fine microfoam sheets and made a pillow out of it. Weighs very little, and is *very* warm.

Just what I was looking for. Do you think this would work with a Warbonnet Blackbird?

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    How would a layer of this work to augment a HHSS foam pad?
    If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Does anyone have a temp rating for this setup.... What are the advantages and disadvantages versus a down UQ.... I'm planning on making an UQ this winter and wondering which direction to go....

This looks very simple to make which is a huge plus....
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    In his instructions, Sclittlefield states an IX quilt w/ 3 layers should be good to below freezing for most.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scum View Post
    In his instructions, Sclittlefield states an IX quilt w/ 3 layers should be good to below freezing for most.
    Opps.... My bad..... Thanks...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps

How mqny layers?

Is it really necessary to use 3 layers? or will just one do ya? I been thinking real serious about using insultex, since it's promoted as being God's gift to hammockers. I figured on IX, and then have an outer layer of camo nylon, but the no. of layers of IX is a big question. I'm not wanting to go below zero, just down to freezing. Anyone have experience with this wonder fabric? Time for a sales pitch here.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    IX is not much more than a good vapor barrier, but the pin-hole quilting gives a moderate amount of breathability. I think my IX UQ has 2 layers and it has been good to low 50s, maybe upper 40s.

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    I have a down "throw" or whatever ya call it for couch-warmer-watching-tv blanket. Maybe that would do. If it were cut down to "looks about right" size and an outer layer of camo nylon sewn on to build a UQ outa. Still scheming an' dreaming. Insultex has me intrigued, tho.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ice man View Post
    Is it really necessary to use 3 layers? or will just one do ya? I been thinking real serious about using insultex, since it's promoted as being God's gift to hammockers. I figured on IX, and then have an outer layer of camo nylon, but the no. of layers of IX is a big question. I'm not wanting to go below zero, just down to freezing. Anyone have experience with this wonder fabric? Time for a sales pitch here.
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    IX is not much more than a good vapor barrier, but the pin-hole quilting gives a moderate amount of breathability. I think my IX UQ has 2 layers and it has been good to low 50s, maybe upper 40s.
    I have continued testing a 2 layer IX UQ ( NO shells, just IX). Fit is absolutely critical, though it is with several dif types of UQs. At first, it seemed to me that no way was I going to be able to get under high 50s. But lately I have done much better, though high 30s may be a little beyond me.

I was in the Sipsey a couple of weeks ago and the low was mid to high 40s. Plus, about 0400 the wind really picked up and I did not get much wind block from my HH tarp. Basically, I made it through just warm enough, but not toasty. Some time during the night ( also maybe ~ 0400? ) I realized I was definitely going to make it, but decided to add my CCF torso pad, just for luxury warmth, which it provided.

This weekend ( Oct, 22/23 ) at fall Creek Falls,TN the temp fell to 39F. Most of the night I was OK, but near dawn I was not quite warm enough. I could have made it, I did not shiver and was def able to sleep, but I was in no way "toasty" most of the night. Once again, about 0430 or so I decided to add my pad. For some reason, I was still not toasty warm, just barely OK.

I am going to keep experimenting, but as of right now I would not choose just 2 layers of IX if I knew lows were going to be below 45, though I have pushed it a little beyond that without being too uncomfortable.

Two things to consider in the above testing. This UQ was designed specifically for a HH Explorer. I used it on a Claytor No Net both times in case I needed to add my torso pad. It fits me better on the HH, and thus might be a tad warmer on the HH. ( plus, I am looking forward to trying it as HH OCF pad augmentation/replacement)

Second, mine has no shell at all. A shell might add a few degrees, and more than a few if there is an inner shell providing more of a differential cut and preventing the IX from being pulled tight against you. Or, maybe not.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-26-2010 at 18:46.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast