Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940
    Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Last time this thread was active = nearly 3 years ago...
    Wondering if people have simply abandoned Insultex because more vendors are making synthetic UQs, or if there is some other reason no one talks about it anymore -- ??

Anyone still using their IX UQ? How's it holding up?

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I'll bite. A DIY IX 3/4 length UQ was the first project I tried. I followed the directions with 3 layers of IX and an inner and outer layer of ripstop nylon.

I hated it. It wasn't warm enough and was bulkier and heavier than any down UQ that was comparable in temperature rating. So with that in mind, rather than spend all the time and effort making one, I would rather save up for a good down UQ from a good vendor. It languished for years in my basement after I got some decent quilts.

However...I recently went on a summer kayaking trip for the first time with a buddy who is a new hammocker. He was going to use a sleeping bag, and I offered him this extra UQ if he wanted to give it a whirl. He took me up on it, and thought it was great. We weren't limited by bulk or weight being an easy kayaking route, and the weather was fairly warm (for northern Michigan).

Since then, I have used it as a loaner for scouts interested in hammocking, assuming the weather was supposed to be nice. It has worked fine every time.

So the moral of the story is it doesn't COMPLETELY suck. It's a good non-backpacking summer UQ, and maybe I was disappointed because I expected it to be more.
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Thanks for the report -- I don't often hike (more often canoeing) so weight is not as huge a consideration as for some. I'm allergic to down, so investing in downy goodness is off the table. I'm working on some synth UQs, and was reviewing threads, which is how I came to ask my question.

I'm wondering if it might be something to add to a light UQ as a booster in cool weather -- clip it in right below the hammock. Idle thoughts. Any other experiences people can report?

• + New Posts
  • Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940