Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Temperatures: 40 degrees? 30 degrees? 20 degrees? Colder?

I slept out last night with a hammock for the very first time in my life, I suppose it hit 40 degrees or so. I was using a 20 degree sleeping bag, a space blanket, a wool blanket and a therm-a-rest, with rain pants, a shirt, and a fleece cap. And I wasn't cold, but I wasn't particularly warm either - on the ground, I would have been sweating.

So what do you use to stay warm at 40 degrees? 30 degrees? 20 degrees? What's the coldest you would go down to with a Hammock? At what point to you lower your hammock to near the ground and pack stuff around it?

Jonathan

P.S., Aside from the temperature, it was very comfortable. It did take a little while to get over a feeling of being vulnerable, but that didn't bother me by morning.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I think that means you're a cold sleeper. Wow! That's a lot of stuff to not be warm. I got down to 43 a couple of weeks ago with long johns, skully cap, SPE w/Wallyworld pad, and a fleece bag (rated to 50). Got caught not preparing for the weather; I wasn't exactly warm, but I was warm enough.

I wonder if you replaced the therm-a-rest inflatable with a ccf if that would help. I don't know, but it sure seems you should have been warm with the set-up you used.

Congrats on your first overnight. That feeling of being vulnerable goes away after a while. That is, until your neighbor decides to be funny at 2 am. Still trying to figure out a payback for that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I think that means you're a cold sleeper. Wow! That's a lot of stuff to not be warm.
    That's how I felt! But I'm *not* a cold sleeper on the ground, I tend to wear the same or less than the people around me.

Now it's possible that I'm still figuring out how I feel in a hammock, and I was feeling overly sensitive to any little bit of cold, but I was really surprised to be dealing with cold, I had expected to be sweating and getting rid of layers.

Which is why I am asking ...

Jonathan

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Were you cold on the bottom, the top, sides, or all around. I would start by trying to isolate the area that you were having the biggest problems with and work forward from there. It may very well have been a little bit of anxiety over your first hang.

Oh, and I forgot to reply to this part:

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap View Post
    At what point to you lower your hammock to near the ground and pack stuff around it?
    NEVER!!!!!!!!!

Were you cold on the bottom
    Only on the bottom. I'm not convinced I was always on the therm-a-rest, or always sure where it was. In a mummy bag, shifting the layers around and trying different angles, this was an issue for me ...

Jonathan

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Ah-ha!

What kind of hammock are you using? An HH? If so, they can be a real pain to deal with the pad. Lots of practice is required. Also an SPE from the Speers does wonders (don't know why, probably the wings) for keeping the pad under you and it also helps with condensation issues.

You might also try using the bag in quilt mode; it makes shifting around in the hammock much easier.

Bootstrap, try two of these pads, I reccommend the 30" or wider:

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Accessories.htm

If you decide not to stick with the hammock, you'll have a couple of good ground pads. I have had zero luck staying on a thermarest in a hammock. I'll bet is squirted out from under you within an hour.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    I have had zero luck staying on a thermarest in a hammock. I'll bet is squirted out from under you within an hour.
    Sold my thermarest two weeks after buying my first hammock for the exact same reason. Great on the ground, but I didn't have any luck with them in a hammock. I kind of miss it, it was a good friend.

What kind of hammock are you using? An HH? If so, they can be a real pain to deal with the pad. Lots of practice is required.
    Yup!

Also an SPE from the Speers does wonders (don't know why, probably the wings) for keeping the pad under you and it also helps with condensation issues.
    I have a RidgeRest too, but I'm guessing that will be similarly slipperly?

You might also try using the bag in quilt mode; it makes shifting around in the hammock much easier.
    Just unzip it and put it on top of me? What all would I want underneath me if I do that?

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Bootstrap, try two of these pads, I reccommend the 30" or wider:

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Accessories.htm
    Thanks for the tip! It's getting a lot colder tonight, I wanted to try another dry run in the cold - what am I likely to be able to find here locally for my next attempt?

Jonathan

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast