Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnome77 View Post
    Next time we run into questionable weather we could meet at rally point and car pool to TH. We could work out scheduling to get as many as possible to the Happy Place. We did actually miss the hangers that did not make it.
    Yes, that would have been nice. Actually, I was hoping to see someone as I heard there might be a few who were coming out early on Friday. We tried to establish radio contact a few times, but it was clear from the tire tracks that we were the first and only ones there Friday night.

Honestly, this was a huge disappointment for me. Not only was I really looking forward to meeting some HF folks, but I wanted to check out some new AZ terrain too. If the trailhead wasn't so remote on poor roads, it wouldn't have been an issue. Something to consider for next time.

I'm looking forward to your official trip report!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quad&Boatcamper View Post
    Does anyone know how to get skunk odor out of fabric?
    No, I do not.
    However, I have a theory, but it might not be safe for the fabric.
    It works on dogs. I imagine it would work in people.
    It is the hydrogen peroxide/baking soda/detergent method.
    I can't find the original post by the chemist who figure this out, but here's another version.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Once upon a time, when I was young, my parents loaded me and my sister, two Great Danes, themselves, and a bunch of fishing and picnic gear into the Suburban and set off for a beaver pond in Northern Ontario. It rained while we were there and our two wheel drive could not make it up the hill from the pond.
    So we walked out to find a ride to a hotel and a tow truck. With two kids around 8 or 9 and two large dogs. A station wagon came along and gave us all a lift. We retrieved the Suburban the next day. My family calls it the "Hundred Dollar Hill" (early 70's US dollars).
    The next Suburban/Carryall my dad bought had 4wd AND a winch!
    Years later mom confessed that we had probably walked quite near a bear or two since both she and Dad (and the dogs) had smelled it.
    I remember it as a fine adventure, so I suppose my folks kept their cool as you did and your kid will remember it also as a fine adventure.
    -Liz -

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    On a more serious note, did anyone else make it down the canyon?.....................
    Having gone through this experience, may I recommend that for our next (and future) group hangs in Arizona we pick sites more accommodating to vehicular access? I don't mind a good hike, but I think West Clear Creek requires a bit more in the way of accessibility. I look forward to getting down there some day...

In the meantime, I'm seriously going to look for a 4x4 truck.
    On a more serious note? Your OP sounded pretty serious to me! All's well that ends well, and what a bonding experience for you and your 7 year old. I know that you indeed had white knuckles while trying to drive in that, not go over a cliff or just become hopelessly stuck.

I hiked down into West Clear Creek once. What a beautiful place! But, this is also where I had my first ever ( and life changing) experience with poison Ivy/Oak whatever. When I first got back to Flagstaff I thought the mosquitoes had gotten me, but I found out it was another true evil. I don't know if I came in on the same road as you ( 20 plus years ago). Seems like I might have come in more to the west or north of Happy Jack, but can't remember for sure. But I do know I had a Chevy 4x4 with Michelin mud/snow tires, and though it had not been raining the day I was there, mud was still a problem. I was pulling a short stretch of steep hill coming out, and large chunks of mud slung from the front tires kept landing on my hood, roof and windshield.

Any way, glad y'all stayed safe on a grand adventure, and thanks for the fascinating report.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben,12x8.5
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Wopi,Togl,TreHugr
    Just finished unpacking 9pm Sunday. We defiantly missed everyone who didn't make it and I think another hang would be great. The whole weekend was totally awesome as my first hang. I met really cool people who I hope to keep in contact with and hang again. The roads were terrible, I thought to myself "no car would make it through to the trail head". I am absolutely amazed that you were not stuck and stranded in the mud thank God! It was an amazing amazing place and I hope some day you will bring your son here to see it, it is worth while.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quad&Boatcamper View Post
    Hit the hammock about 9PM. I woke up about two hours later needing a drink of water. I had left a water bottle on the ground next to me. So I just reached down to grab it. To my surprise, I ended up grabbing alot more than I wanted!

One word....SKUNK!

I reached down and grabbed a handful of that critters rear end. It scared me, I scared it, but he won. I got a hand full of spray. It went everywhere. Got it on the hammock, underquilt, topquilt, shirts, tarp, shoes. Everything! .............
    Grabbed a skunk? Skunks are something I really worry about, even when back yard testing. More so under a tarp than inside a tent.

Have mercy, what a trip! The word "EPIC" comes to mind!

Images
    This is how I came in, north of Happy Jack from Flagstaff, turning west/south on FR 81 to the Tramway Trail:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/rec...amway-tr.shtml

Amazing how much I remember about this day hike, as it was probably in 1983 or 84. And I do remember that the slick mud/clay some what challenged even my 4x4 on the steep up hill parts near the trail head. Looks like the forest service guys had it exactly right:

Go left on FR 81E and go approximately 4 miles to FR 693. Take FR 693 and follow signs to the trailhead. High clearance vehicles are recommended and the road may not be passable during wet weather.
    But man, what a trip, eh? I am also glad you did not tear up your car. One to remember though! I'd love to hear your boy telling his school buddies about the adventure!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-25-2010 at 08:21.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    OES 4 season
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Quote Originally Posted by E.A.Y. View Post
    No, I do not.
    However, I have a theory, but it might not be safe for the fabric.
    It works on dogs. I imagine it would work in people.
    It is the hydrogen peroxide/baking soda/detergent method.
    I can't find the original post by the chemist who figure this out, but here's another version.

Yep. Used that method. Worked good on my hand and other exposed parts. Worried about using it on the hammock and other gear. Not sure what the peroxide will do to the fabric.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E.A.Y. View Post
    I remember it as a fine adventure, so I suppose my folks kept their cool as you did and your kid will remember it also as a fine adventure.
    I hope he remembers the good times. I enjoyed our conversations and the bonding.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelJD View Post
    I am absolutely amazed that you were not stuck and stranded in the mud thank God! It was an amazing amazing place and I hope some day you will bring your son here to see it, it is worth while.
    I'm glad to hear you had a good time! I'm sorry I missed you guys. I hope to make it down there again another time. I'm ready for someone to schedule the next hang!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    But man, what a trip, eh? I am also glad you did not tear up your car. One to remember though! I'd love to hear your boy telling his school buddies about the adventure!
    Tomorrow will tell if the car is okay. I washed it, but haven't driven it again. There is mud stuck in places I cannot reach!

Thanks all! Hopefully the next gout hang will bring us all a little closer together.

Hammock
    1.7 Dbl. WBBB Hammock
    Tarp
    DD XL Trap
    Insulation
    Merlin3 TQ/Nest UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Well LOC from Amway will get the skunk smell out. L.O.C. is a biodegradeable Liquid Organic Cleaner. and can actually be drunk(WARNING PUTS EXLAX TO SHAME!!! drinking is not recommended).

Next got there on friday and started the trail down, found the altitude and trail beyond my current abilities. Hung my DD Hammock and Tarp on an over look just down from the trucks.

Sat. night woke to find that skunk or another like it chewing on my sandals just out my hammock where I put them so I can put them on when I get out of the hammock. Thought about shooting it, thought about thunking it on the head THEN thought about the smell through all my gear! New sandals would be cheaper! watched it wander off.
    Smelled skunk later did not know Quad and Boatcamper had run in. Sorry.
    U.S. Army Paratrooper, Combat Engineer, DAV (Life Member), American Legion (Life Member)
    NMLRA(1 of 1000[#249] & Life Member), NRA(Life Member)
    Perry Lodge #123 F&AM(Perpetual Member), Perfect Ashlar Lodge #12 F&AM(Perpetual Member)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123