Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by 4D's View Post
    Is the fly in the above pic the "XL"?

If so, I would be upset... So would my dog.
    It is, and that's why I desperately want the Kelty 12x12 fly!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 4D's View Post
    Is the fly in the above pic the "XL"?

If so, I would be upset... So would my dog.
    I've heard a lot of people say that the "XL" is anything but extra large. Still, to have the whole system integrated probably isn't that bad of a thing. I can see the advantages especially when the tarp is built into the price. That said, I still much prefer the coverage of a MacCat style tarp.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    Well, I was able to use the bungee cords that came with the hammock to set up the netting/weathershield...used one at each end...I don't understand the necessity of creating a complete ridgeline to hang the netting/weathershield from...I didn't need it or the extra ounces...I used the original lines on the tarp...since I disconnect it from the hammock I'm not worried about the tarp ripping. Using sticks to open up the tarp gives you a lot more living space and is easy to do....

I also found it better, on the foot end, to not try to thread the rope through the tarp...I hang the tarp above the hemmed end...

You might think about trying that...

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by mataharihiker View Post
    I don't understand the necessity of creating a complete ridgeline to hang the netting/weathershield from...
    You're absolutely right. There's no "need" to do it. The system works well as is and I love it...but hey, I'm a guy and I like to tinker around with things!

I ran across your pictures in a thread before I bought my NA and it was basically what drove me to go all out and spend the money. Now I'm hooked!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Does that Kelty have a 17' ridge like the SG (or neo) 12x12? I would be concerned about limiting site selection with something like that. It would be kind of nice during storms to have that kind of coverage, but otherwise I think it would be a bit of a hassle. Don't tell neo I said that!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Does that Kelty have a 17' ridge like the SG (or neo) 12x12? I would be concerned about limiting site selection with something like that. It would be kind of nice during storms to have that kind of coverage, but otherwise I think it would be a bit of a hassle. Don't tell neo I said that!
    Yes, it might limit site selection...but I'll probably use it as an addition to my kit. I experimented today and came to the conclusion, as mataharihiker did, that using the Clark XL fly while not connected to the NA, as outlined in the instruction booklet, works very well.

I left the XL staked and tied in the backyard this afternoon and twice we had a line of pretty serious storms roll through the area. I was impressed with the XL in handling the conditions! It was funny to go outside and have the ground immediately below be bone dry and the rest of my yard soaking wet.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yep! You know you've been bitten by the bug when everybody else is running inside to hide from the weather and you're outside setting up tarps and hammocks laughing at Mama Nature. It's a good life!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Yep! You know you've been bitten by the bug when everybody else is running inside to hide from the weather and you're outside setting up tarps and hammocks laughing at Mama Nature. It's a good life!
    Ain't that the truth. My son thought I had gone completely mad! Who rushes outside in a terrible storm to feel the grass below a tarp???

Come to think of it, my GSD was sort of giving me a look, too. She knew better not to go outside and she probably thought..."Crazy human!" LOL

Geez, it seems I've caught the bug pretty bad. I ordered a TrekLight double with bundle yesterday afternoon. Seth was gracious enough to quickly answer a question I had about his product and I can't wait for it to arrive.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You'll be very happy with the TL Double. I've used both the Trek Light and the ENO doubles and really like the feel of them. Hope you ordered the biners with the hammock; they are pretty light and plenty tough enough.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    You'll be very happy with the TL Double. I've used both the Trek Light and the ENO doubles and really like the feel of them. Hope you ordered the biners with the hammock; they are pretty light and plenty tough enough.
    I did. I ordered everything but the kitchen sink. I believe the bundle comes with the carabiners, as well as their special pre-made and pre-knotted rope attachment kit...or whatever it's called.

I hope it arrives before this weekend. I plan to use it on a kayak trip Saturday or Sunday.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast