WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Having more fun than I thought...

The WBBB arrived last week (the Kelty 12x12 the week before) and now to bust out the 4mm good (poly) line and 3mm cheap (nylon/poly) line. I am doing a tarp top line (for hanging over and under) for the Kelty. It has four Prusik knot loops; two for the tree end and two for the tarp. All will be connected by 4 mini biners and I am into this line for less than $15.

So I sit at the 'puter room desk with line, scissors, and lighter remembering knots long forgotten and trying some never before attempted. Gotta say it is much more fun than I expected! When all the prep is done it's off to a local park (no suitable trees in the yard) to set up...'cause the weather is nasty today in the high country I planned to visit.

This site has been a wealth of information and even the knots threads have proven good. Who knew?

Thanks y'all!

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    The WBBB arrived last week (the Kelty 12x12 the week before) and now to bust out the 4mm good (poly) line and 3mm cheap (nylon/poly) line. I am doing a tarp top line (for hanging over and under) for the Kelty. It has four Prusik knot loops; two for the tree end and two for the tarp. All will be connected by 4 mini biners and I am into this line for less than $15.

So I sit at the 'puter room desk with line, scissors, and lighter remembering knots long forgotten and trying some never before attempted. Gotta say it is much more fun than I expected! When all the prep is done it's off to a local park (no suitable trees in the yard) to set up...'cause the weather is nasty today in the high country I planned to visit.

This site has been a wealth of information and even the knots threads have proven good. Who knew?

Thanks y'all!
    So you're using prussic knots as line tensioners for your ridgeline? Thats' a neat idea - what carabiners are you using? I've been thinking about my ridgeline since I bought some new cord for it but had resigned myself to just using a couple of trucker hitches.

This site is awesome but dangerous (for your wallet)

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Stole the idea from Paul's site (Arrowhead Equipment)... http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1203637 ...but I'm sure it is well covered on HF somewhere. Carabiners are el cheapo jobs from a local sporting good place (for now). Paul has some real nice ones...yup I'm also planning purchases from him.

Too simple not to try and it really looks good. Try here for knot fun...http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/...matedknots.com

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    I felt the same way when I started splicing Amsteel and LashIt recently. Hadn't done splicing in 20+ years and then it was on stranded rope. It's really fun to make a continuous ridgeline or some whoopie slings and then go use them.

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    Stole the idea from Paul's site (Arrowhead Equipment)... http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1203637 ...but I'm sure it is well covered on HF somewhere. Carabiners are el cheapo jobs from a local sporting good place (for now). Paul has some real nice ones...yup I'm also planning purchases from him.

Too simple not to try and it really looks good. Try here for knot fun...http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/...matedknots.com
    No no I definately agree that prussics are a cool knot! I use them on my tarp and on my last night out I used them on my SRL down to my UQ's sidetabs. Good knot.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie

Thanks y'all!

I'm with ya, buddy!

I got my new tarp (MacCat Deluxe) yesterday and immediately headed out to the back yard with it and my "big bag of cordage and stuff" to get it ready to go.

My tarp line is Dyneema and the Prusiks (also Dyneema) wouldn't hold tight, so I went with Klemheists. Perfect!

I made up some stake-out lines with Kelty's "Trip Tease" reflective cord with Klemheist loops of 2mm cord for adjustability and to hook over the stakes.

To loosely paraphrase Coppola's LtCol Kilgore, "I love the smell of melted rope in the morning. It smells like... camping!"

Happy napping,
    desmobob

Yes these things are a blast! I'm right there with ya the weather has been either too hot or raining lately to hang though. Last weekend I thought I was going to hang again on Saturday and it got HOT, this weekend as of right now there is a tornado watch. Look out next weekend though highs in the 60's lows in the 30's, a hanging I will go, a hanging I will go, Hi Ho here I go hammock hanging I will go.

Now another thing fun to do after you think your ready to go is start looking at the stoves, dishes,foods and packs you will need for hammock camping. Oh the wife loves my new found hanging love with the wallet..
    I'm Popeye the hammock man I'll be in the woods again, by the end of the day tomorrow I pray I'll be in a hammock man. toot toot..

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    The local park was interresting and lessons were learned as I set up my rig to hip hop music and odd looks.

1-There is a reason cheap biners are called "cheap"... My two good biners went on the strap though (one green and one brown, this will make sense in a minute).

2-22' of line is a smidge too short and will need to be suplimented with longer tree straps until I get a longer one.

3-Setting up the tarp and especially the hammock will take some getting used to. I'm real glad the WBBB is wide, a narrower hammock would be too restrictive for my wide shoulders.

4-It is real good to set up your gear at home (or close) before that camping trip. At 72 degrees I was almost too warm with nothing but the hammock. Sorting out the angles etc are critical and I would hate to try this in the sticks.

5- A green carabiner (permanently attached) is a wonderful way to figure out the head from the foot on set up.

All in all the WBBB was quite comfy once I got the foot end higher than the head and the top line adjusted properly.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    My tarp line is Dyneema and the Prusiks (also Dyneema) wouldn't hold tight, so I went with Klemheists. Perfect!

I made up some stake-out lines with Kelty's "Trip Tease" reflective cord with Klemheist loops of 2mm cord for adjustability and to hook over the stakes.
    Thanks Bob. I made a couple of lengths of cord to play at knots and the Kleimheist is next. I read somewhere here that with this knot the lines need to be different sizes to lock, I wonder if the same can apply to a Prusik? I need some Trip Tease and shock cord to play with next.

Quote Originally Posted by wabow View Post
    Now another thing fun to do after you think your ready to go is start looking at the stoves, dishes,foods and packs you will need for hammock camping. Oh the wife loves my new found hanging love with the wallet..
    Been an outside gearhead for 45 years...there are maybe a couple of items stored in my side cases right now. Things for camping do have a way of evolving though. My wife tolerates it...sorta.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    5- A green carabiner (permanently attached) is a wonderful way to figure out the head from the foot on set up.
    Hey Law Dawg - if you ever convert your BB to whoopies, make them from two different colors of line. I made a pair of silver and a pair of green for our two hammocks. Silver goes on the head end of the BB and green goes on the feet. The wife's BB is already set up with them, and mine will be about 5 minutes after I open the box on delivery.

I also bought some different color cord locks and changed out the black cord lock on the head end of the bishop bag.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast