WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/LeighloUQ
    Suspension
    webbing & whoopies

Does light attract wildlife?

I don't know about the rest of ya, but I can't go to sleep right after dark. On other "camping" trips, when I'm with my wife, friends, in the travel trailer (don't hold it against me please!) I often stay up to midnight or later relaxing by the fire.

When backpacking/hammocking, however, most of the places I'm at do not permit fires. I'm ok with that. I've been thinking of getting a UCO micro candle lantern, and hanging it up safely, and getting a little pseudo-fire, because I miss that aspect of relaxing in the evenig before bed.

I will admit this though. I still, after camping my whole life, have a mild fear of being eaten by wild things! I've seen it on TV, okay!! I only have this fear when backpacking, because I'm usually solo. I've had tent experiences before when I've heard and smelled a large, large creature checking me out in the tent at night. I wasn't eaten.

So, long story longer, do you think light at night attracts animals? Are any of you concerned enough about this that it affects some of the things you do? Any experiences? Do, tell!

WWhermit

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've never seen any wildlife at Motel 6 and we all know they leave the light on.

I don't know if it attracts wildlife or not, but I'm betting staying up until midnight will do a fine job of keeping them away. They may come visit while you're sleeping, but it would be rare for them to come into camp when there is noise and movement. I know the few (very few) times I've had a large animal in camp, a simple cough from behind the tarp makes them take-off like the devil himself was on their trail.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Honestly, they will know you are there, fire or not. Curious animals will check you out either way. Weary animals will stay a distance away. I've had racoons come into camp to check us out before, one snatched a pack of chips from a friend of mine and bolted. I've had animals check out camp with no fire, and with fire.

I don't think it makes a difference wither way. Fire would be more apt to keep them away than attract them. Fire is not natural deep in the woods, so I really don't assume it will attract them any more than your smell alone would.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Yes and No. If your fear is being a meal for some wild critter yes, light will attract insects, and your that insect's thanksgiving feast. Yea yea i know that's not exactly the answer your looking for. There is certainly a primal fear of getting gutted like a fish by some large creature, but you are far more likely contract a nasty disease from insect bites.
    Did that ease your fears any?

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I carry a UCO with me all the time. I just like the flicker of candle light sometimes.

Images
    I had a deer charge me one night in the Smokies. I turned my headlight off and he stopped.

I think the more an animal (any animal) is used to our presence the bolder they become.
    "Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Yes and No. If your fear is being a meal for some wild critter yes, light will attract insects, and your that insect's thanksgiving feast. Yea yea i know that's not exactly the answer your looking for. There is certainly a primal fear of getting gutted like a fish by some large creature, but you are far more likely contract a nasty disease from insect bites.
    Did that ease your fears any?
    Thanks Hulk! I needed that little bit of
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/LeighloUQ
    Suspension
    webbing & whoopies
    Well, I've tried going to hammock shortly after dark. Most of the time I'm certainly worn out enough to do so. What did I do? Lay there, wondering when I'm going to fall asleep. Mostly this has to do with the fact that I don't get home from work until 3AM, and my clock it just set for late nights. I figure that with a candle lantern, I can stay up a bit, enjoy the evening, maybe read for a while, smoke my pipe, and relax for a few hours until my body tells me it's time for bed instead of struggling to sleep.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll order one, see how it goes, squirrels be damned!!

By the way, what do you do between the hours of sunset and bedtime?

WWhermit

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WWhermit View Post
    Well, I've tried going to hammock shortly after dark. Most of the time I'm certainly worn out enough to do so. What did I do? Lay there, wondering when I'm going to fall asleep. Mostly this has to do with the fact that I don't get home from work until 3AM, and my clock it just set for late nights. I figure that with a candle lantern, I can stay up a bit, enjoy the evening, maybe read for a while, smoke my pipe, and relax for a few hours until my body tells me it's time for bed instead of struggling to sleep.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll order one, see how it goes, squirrels be damned!!

WWhermit
    I enjoy the sounds of the woods and the alone time. May night hike a bit. May just stare........ some camp chores and dinkin' around.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by WWhermit View Post
    Well...

hide.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast