Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ???
    Insulation
    ???

Potential thread injector

So, I was talking to my parents, and they mentioned that they had an extra sewing machine that I could borrow if I wanted to attempt to make an underquilt.
    My Mom uses a 33 year old Husqvarna thread injector, which is an absolute beast. It still runs like a champ, though it can be a little ornry from time to time. I don't think that one is available to borrow.

The other two, are a Jeans Machine, which was supposed to replace the Husqvarna, but just doesn't feel right compared to the old beast.

The other is one of the nearly antique Singer thread injector. After doing a little research, I believe it might be a model 99K from the 1950's.

Keep in mind, I haven't touched a thread injector since junior high, which was about 15 years ago.
    So, which would you recommend me borrowing if I decide to? The more modern Jeans Machine, or the twice my age Singer 99K?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Singer... beyond any questions. You should have it serviced if it has been sitting around for a while. That is a beastie. That;s the one to borrow. You might even want to "lose" it so you can keep it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Grab some test material like what you plan to work on, and try both out and see what's easier for *you* to use.

My fiance has a modern Singer with all the bells and whistles, but I can't get it to work worth a darn. I picked up a '53 Singer 403 off Craigslist, and I've been hammering out small projects left and right! Something about the old Singer just suits me better (and I find it more tolerant of my sloppy sewing methods).

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    +1 on the older singer.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    +1 on the Singer 99. They rock!
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ???
    Insulation
    ???
    I could be wrong on the model, but I know it looks similar to the pictures online. It has definately been sitting for years, so it definately needs service

I believe it can inject straight or zigzag, a it can go in reverse. No more bells and whistles than that.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    If you find the serial number, you can go to the Singer site and find out what model, year and place of manufacture it is. To my knowledge, if it zigzags without having to attach a special presser foot, it's not a model 99. You don't need to zigzag anyway.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I bought a Singer 404, that's the slant stitch that only does straight stitch. Since then, I've looked at numerous threads that mention the need to zig zag, most specifically when connecting high-stress seams such as ridges on tarps. The idea is you zig so the holes don't line up making a perforated strip that can tear. What do you all think, is zigging important? Of course you can get a zig zag attachment for these machines but I don't see that working too well with slick fabric.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac View Post
    I bought a Singer 404, that's the slant stitch that only does straight stitch. Since then, I've looked at numerous threads that mention the need to zig zag, most specifically when connecting high-stress seams such as ridges on tarps. The idea is you zig so the holes don't line up making a perforated strip that can tear. What do you all think, is zigging important? Of course you can get a zig zag attachment for these machines but I don't see that working too well with slick fabric.
    IMO there is absolutely no reason for a zig zag stitch in making gear. A bit of history is needed. The zigzag stitch is a relatively new addition to the home sewing machine. The first sewing machines produced did not have zigzag. The closest to it was the overcasting Merrow machine developed during the civil war. In the 1960's doubleknit came onto the retail fashion scene. "Stretch and Sew" pioneered the use of doubleknit in the consumer home sewing scene. Knits require a whole different technique of sewing because the stretch. That's the point. A straight stitch did not transfer well to the stretch and sew method of using the newly available knit fabrics. As result the zig zag stitch was developed for the home sewing machine. The use of the zigzag is not even remotely related to the issue of tear strip lines. That is resolved completely and totally by using a proper straight stitch length.

Zig zag stitch is for one of two things. First and formost for the stretch and knit fabrics which have become so popular. Secondly for use in finishing edges so they don't ravel if you do not have a serger. I would not use a zig zag on a tarp ridge seam. That makes no sense to me at all.

As for webbing loops and such.. look at the commercially available straps. The vast majority of them are stitched with straight stitches instead of zigzag. Don't worry about your machine. Unless you are making gear out of doubleknit fabric you will not have an absolute _need_ for the zig zag. It can be nice to have. But hardly essential.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks Rev, you just saved me another $180 on another Singer Slant Stitch. But I'll probably buy it anyway

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast