DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    When I restrung this stand in my backyard, I purchased three 100' rolls of rope, each a different color: red for the top, yellow for the sides, and green for the bottom. The top line is one continuous line. The bottom lines are also continuous. I cut these at 22 feet, allowing some room for knots at the stakes. The side ropes need to be single lines of 10' 7" tied to the top of the 2x3 and the stake point.
    Ah Ha! See, there's my problem. I made the bottom and sides continous loops. Mine doesn't stand up by itself, it just slides one way or the other. If my Sides were set lengths it wouldn't be able to just slide around like it is.
    Tomorrow, I shall tie them side suckers solid AND hang in my YATS.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I could have sworn that there was a post with pictures in this thread about someone who had made a version of this stand, but had used fixed attachment points and straps instead of rope, in an effort to keep the upright posts from turning and twisting. But now I don't see it. Any idea if either I'm just imagining things, or perhaps it was in a different thread that someone could point me to?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Tied the uprights, stand goes right up now.

F2E3889F-orig.jpg

Hammock
    DYI gathered end
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* FJ & zep
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch Bckl
    Images
    So I just put together a YATS to give me a little more flexibility as to where I hang, be it in the backyard or campground. I decided that I wanted to use eye hooks and carabineers to simplify setup and storage. The lines are 3/16 Amsteel with locked Brummel eye splices at each stake point and a carabineer held in place with clove hitches at the 2x3 anchor. I’m still not sure if my stakes are secure enough I’ve been using 24” lengths of ¾” rebar and or 15 “ plastic stakes. So far nothing has moved but its just a point of uncertainty.

I used the ultimate Hang calculator to run some rough numbers which don’t look too bad <200lbs horizontal force splits amongst 4 stakes with me hanging @210 I suppose if i want to lessen the angle on the stakes i could extend the rope form the top of the 2X3 and move the stakes back a few feet.

Hammock
    11&quot; DangerBird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    I bought the supplies to build on of these too. I'm curious about the stakes. I bought 10' sections of rebar as that's all they had. Do they need to be 3' long? Sounds long, but I don't want to fall either.

Hammock
    DYI gathered end
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* FJ &amp; zep
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch Bckl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Geck0 View Post
    I bought the supplies to build on of these too. I'm curious about the stakes. I bought 10' sections of rebar as that's all they had. Do they need to be 3' long? Sounds long, but I don't want to fall either.
    Understanding the force being transferred to the stakes is more math than I can handle. I'm sure a lot depends on the soil type, the stake length and Diameter. In my yard the stakes I used didn't budge.. but if i was at the beach I would use a sand stake, sand Bag or something with a little more resistance, what Diameter REbar did you get?

according to the testing done at www.gettent.com/ (they have a few stake testing videos) most of the stakes that we are using < 24" have a failure point of <400 pounds

Hammock
    11&quot; DangerBird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    I think it is 1/2" rebar. It was all they had, but I'm open to other options.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Set my YATS up this weekend at an RC flyin. Lots of fun pounding 1/2 inch rebar into the ground when it used to be a gravel parking lot. I'd start a pilot hole with a big foot long landscaping nail, pull that out and then try and find the same path with the shepard hooks. It worked, but it was a lot harder then when I put it in the backyard. I got in and the top rope stretched a bit requiring me to retighten. With two of us in it I had a third man pulling the top rope tighter still. I used those same rubberbands that were listed in the first post. They just were too stretchy. I didn't get a chance to try it with 3 on thanks to, well, it WAS and RC flyin. But with suggestion that the top rope be amsteel and agreed on I left it with my Omaha buddy so he and his two kids can use it. Wifey is a ground dweller so she won't be using it, it'll be perfect. I can always build another.

So, save from the stretchyness of the top rope, it worked fine BUT because I had to hang it in the available room that was old parking lot that subsequently flooded I ended up setting my Turtledog stand up next to my pit in at the flightline while the two other hammock campers took use of the rather substantial, all metal with 6 inch steel post awnings to hang from. Happy campers all.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Question Large Hammock Friendly?

Has anyone tried using this stand with larger hammocks? I've got an 11' Dream Hammock and I'm not sure from reading the thread if it will fit well.

I've got family coming to town next week and am thinking about setting up a hammock station in the back yard, but only my WBBB is shorter than 11', so this might be a waste of time if my DH and BIAS clone won't have enough span to hang properly.

Hammock
    DYI gathered end
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* FJ &amp; zep
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch Bckl
    Images
    My stand (post 94) was setup using an 11' Appalachian Hammock. Most of the time I am only using one 2x3 and a tree for the second hang point. What i found is all i have to adjust were i put the stakes to modify the distance between hang points. the measurements provided are approximate and i never measure for length when i set it up, just the distance between the stakes which is always close to the length of the 2x3 ~7'. I find that I can put the whole thing up in <15 minutes. so the distance is easy enough to experiment with.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast