WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Montbell Super Spiral Hugger

I'm looking at getting my lady a new sleeping bag for an early Christmas present so we can go winter backpacking together. She's tried the hammock thing, and even went so far as to write a comic about how much she hated it. Anyway, she prefers to have a little bit more roomy sleeping bag, but I know that when you start getting lower and lower in the digits that it's not an option as it's way too hard to heat that much air. I was considering the Montbell Super Spiral sleeping bag because it's mummy, yet you can move around it in. Unfortunately there's no retailers near here that carry a descent selection, so I can't easily go out and look at them at the store.

I trust the forums opinions, so what's yours on this bag?
    If there's two ways to take my comments, assume it's the lighter and funnier of the two.

Hammock
    Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My buddy has the MB SS UL Down Hugger #3 (30*) and loves it. He said that it's extremely comfortable and rated correctly at 30*. He's raved about it so much that I will most likely be picking one up in the next few months.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    I also have the u l# 3 and love this bag. I have been in alot of bags in my day and the way they sew there bags (on a 45 deg angle) is awesome. you can move around and you don't feel so restricted. I was going to get a 15 or a colder bag but went with a T/Q.

The huggers are great bags and honestly rated.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LyttleBryan View Post
    I'm looking at getting my lady a new sleeping bag for an early Christmas present so we can go winter backpacking together. She's tried the hammock thing, and even went so far as to write a comic about how much she hated it. Anyway, she prefers to have a little bit more roomy sleeping bag, but I know that when you start getting lower and lower in the digits that it's not an option as it's way too hard to heat that much air. I was considering the Montbell Super Spiral sleeping bag because it's mummy, yet you can move around it in. Unfortunately there's no retailers near here that carry a descent selection, so I can't easily go out and look at them at the store.

I trust the forums opinions, so what's yours on this bag?
    Have you tried Earth Traverse? I bought my synthetic Montbell there. If they have one that is similar, she could try it for space and order the model with the insulation level she wants.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Have you tried Earth Traverse? I bought my synthetic Montbell there. If they have one that is similar, she could try it for space and order the model with the insulation level she wants.
    ETO actually has them? I've never seen them with anything more than the sign.

thanks!
    If there's two ways to take my comments, assume it's the lighter and funnier of the two.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    I have the #2 in 650 down in the super stretch and it's now my TQ until I get a designated one won't go wrong with one

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LyttleBryan View Post
    ETO actually has them? I've never seen them with anything more than the sign.

thanks!
    They had them when I bought mine. My guess is that your main concern is that the concept of the elastic works. I have one of the 15° synthetic ones. I can bend my knees in it and it will stretch enough to handle that without losing heat.
    I've used it down to its rated temperature while using an SPE underneath.

At any rate, a comfortable bag is like a comfortable shoe. What works for one might not suit another. She'll have to try it to see if it suits her. Again, if they don't have the warmth rating or fill type you're looking for, tha's not going to matter as much as trying the "style" of bag. If the style works, order what you do want. Just cross Sutherland to the Dark Side .

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    They had them when I bought mine. My guess is that your main concern is that the concept of the elastic works. I have one of the 15° synthetic ones. I can bend my knees in it and it will stretch enough to handle that without losing heat.
    I've used it down to its rated temperature while using an SPE underneath.

At any rate, a comfortable bag is like a comfortable shoe. What works for one might not suit another. She'll have to try it to see if it suits her. Again, if they don't have the warmth rating or fill type you're looking for, tha's not going to matter as much as trying the "style" of bag. If the style works, order what you do want. Just cross Sutherland to the Dark Side .
    The problem is, you can't surprise someone if you ask them to try it on before you buy it. I'm going to buy it from somewhere online with a good return policy. Let her try it, and if she likes it then hey the surprise worked and all is well. If she didn't like it, well that's what the return policy is for. I consider the return shipping fee worth the risk of surprising her.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    You can't go wrong with any of those bags, great stuff!

Now, I'd really like to read said comic. You have a link?h

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast