Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    Can anybody tell me how to thread the bobbin, where does the thread go that comes from the bobbin. I cant remember its been since the 8th grade

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    I did this one handed while holding my camera phone with the other and watching the camera screen, so not the best video. This is a little heavier nylon taffeta I was making some kids hammocks from.
    Show off!!

Oops...didn't see the other showoff reply. Second the motion then!!
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
    ~Redd Foxx

"In wildness is the preservation of the world."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiredhiker View Post
    Can anybody tell me how to thread the bobbin, where does the thread go that comes from the bobbin. I cant remember its been since the 8th grade
    There is no magic formula. Each model of each machine can be different even in the same manufacturer. You really need a threading diagram. What machine do you have and maybe we can help you find one.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    Practice on some reasonable fabric first. Nylon is very tough in a hemmer. It can be done. The key is feeding the correct amount of material into the hemmer.

I did this one handed while holding my camera phone with the other and watching the camera screen, so not the best video. This is a little heavier nylon taffeta I was making some kids hammocks from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31EOwtBukGY
    That's a nice attachment. It's not what I have though. Mine rolls the material into a spiral, at least that's what it looks like it's supposed to do. I get it started and I can get about 3 stitches into it before the spiral unravels and then it starts sewing the flat fabric. The other one folds a piece of binding, you insert the material into the fold. Can't get that one to work either, I think my grosgrain is too thick. The Sailrite folks have an awesome binder, but I'm not sure it will feed Grosgrain. They sell some binding, I'm guessing it is for sails so maybe it works for hammock tarps too? I e-mailed them about feeding Grosgrain and they said if I send a piece they will test it for me. Here's a link, there's a video here and on youtube: http://www.sailrite.com/Binder-1-Swing-Bracket

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac View Post
    . It's not what I have though. Mine rolls the material into a spiral, at least that's what it looks like it's supposed to do. I get it started and I can get about 3 stitches into it before the spiral unravels and then it starts sewing the flat fabric. The other one folds a piece of binding, you insert the material into the fold. Can't get that one to work either, I think my grosgrain is too thick. The Sailrite folks have an awesome binder, but I'm not sure it will feed Grosgrain. They sell some binding, I'm guessing it is for sails so maybe it works for hammock tarps too? I e-mailed them about feeding Grosgrain and they said if I send a piece they will test it for me. Here's a link, there's a video here and on youtube: http://www.sailrite.com/Binder-1-Swing-Bracket
    The sailrite binder should feed grossgrain. It is made to feed acrylic binding which is at least as thick. I do a fair amount of business with Sailrite and they offer TOP NOTCH customer service. If you get one from them, pay the XTRA $ for the swing away. It's worth double the price difference.

I bought my binders and hemmers off ebay for pretty cheap. The binders I have all work pretty well with gross grain. The hemmers are iffy on nylon. I've adjusted them some so they'll work.

http://www.amapparelsupply.com/servlet/StoreFront is one company that sells on ebay and you can talk to someone as well. If you go the ebay route, several companies advertise Sailrite Binders and then when you read the description, it says it fits the Sailrite 111 (not a Sailrite binder).

It sounds like you have a "barrell hemmer." All of them are hard to start. Try folding the hem by hand for a couple inches and then feeding it through. Another technique is to pull the fabric through the hemmer back and forth several times until it forms the correct hem. Pull it back to the start, drop the foot and start sewing. Don't try to start at the very beginning until you get a feel for how much fabric you need to feed the hemmer. Also, don't dare try to learn the hemmer with Sil or other 1.1 nylon. 1.7 nylon is pretty tough as well.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Travel, Parachute
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    A work in progress
    Suspension
    noose
    Ahh, New toys to make life easier! Congrats and my eyes are open for one with a nob for you.

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for all the advice Nacra. So glad there's folks out there who have traveled this road before! Going to keep playing with these attachments, might even succeed. BTW, Sailrite is testing Grosgrain for me and is sending me samples of their edge binding material. You are right, good service.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac View Post
    Thanks for all the advice Nacra. So glad there's folks out there who have traveled this road before! Going to keep playing with these attachments, might even succeed. BTW, Sailrite is testing Grosgrain for me and is sending me samples of their edge binding material. You are right, good service.
    Tell me how that works out. I have a bunch of tarp making in my future, and I want them to be as pretty as the pros!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123