Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I do think it has better visibility. The other thing I notice over my other machine (a Hammockmaker, OK Dressmaker) is this Singer has a real flywheel action, so I have to stop a little sooner than I would have before. It kind of coasts to a stop. And the bobbin works so much nicer, this one is horizontal and the other one was vertical. This is gear driven, so no belts to slip or break. And I love how the machine threads, there's even a threading diagram inside the door.

I spent an hour playing with attachments, can't get either the hemmer or the binder to work. Anyone got a video on how that's supposed to work? The manual I downloaded shows directions for both but they don't make much sense to me.

BTW, I found a great place for machine parts:
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    108 W. Grand Ave.
    Frederick, OK. 73542
    http://www.thayerrags.com

They have lots of donor machines, you can make an offer on the entire machine or on parts. Got back to me right away and they had what I was looking for.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Big, when you suddenly lift your foot from the gas pedal, the machine doesn't stop right there?

I don't think that is right...
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It cycles once or twice, then stops. Also notice I can't stop it from cycling the needle when I loosen the stop on the handwheel.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac View Post
    It cycles once or twice, then stops. Also notice I can't stop it from cycling the needle when I loosen the stop on the handwheel.
    Yeah, that doesn't sound right. I can literally stop mine in mid-thrust if I need to. I've gotten it's rhythm down to where I can almost always stop it as the top of it's swing to turn/adjust my project and just stomp on the gas for the next run.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Machines with larger driven pulleys or those with multiple belts for reducing speed/adding torque will have the fly wheel effect and will continue a stitch or two.

My Sailrite LSZ1 carries enough momentum to punch at least one more stitch in heavy sailcloth corner patches, sometimes two after letting off the pedal.

If I have to stop at a certain spot, I'll use my hand to stop the hand wheel.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images

I spent an hour playing with attachments, can't get either the hemmer or the binder to work. Anyone got a video on how that's supposed to work? The manual I downloaded shows directions for both but they don't make much sense to me.
    Practice on some reasonable fabric first. Nylon is very tough in a hemmer. It can be done. The key is feeding the correct amount of material into the hemmer.

I did this one handed while holding my camera phone with the other and watching the camera screen, so not the best video. This is a little heavier nylon taffeta I was making some kids hammocks from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31EOwtBukGY

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There's a big difference between the old cast iron flywheels and the newer synthetic hand wheels. The fly wheels are great for balancing the mechanics and giving a good consistent stitch line with a less than perfect speed control. Sometimes my foot shifts weight and the machine will "stutter" a bit on a couple stitches from the change in speed. Them old flywheel machines had no such fault. You can stop the wheel with your hand. Or you can stop early and hand turn the wheel the few more stitches.

Now with the electronics you can get some where the needle will stop on a dime fully up or fully down. No more hand cranking but more electronics to go wonky.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post

I did this one handed while holding my camera phone with the other and watching the camera screen, so not the best video. This is a little heavier nylon taffeta I was making some kids hammocks from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31EOwtBukGY
    Showoff!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    There's a big difference between the old cast iron flywheels and the newer synthetic hand wheels. The fly wheels are great for balancing the mechanics and giving a good consistent stitch line with a less than perfect speed control. Sometimes my foot shifts weight and the machine will "stutter" a bit on a couple stitches from the change in speed. Them old flywheel machines had no such fault. You can stop the wheel with your hand. Or you can stop early and hand turn the wheel the few more stitches.

Now with the electronics you can get some where the needle will stop on a dime fully up or fully down. No more hand cranking but more electronics to go wonky.
    So you're saying his Singer (which is pretty much like mine) has enough mass to keep stitching? Maybe my gears need lubing then!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    So you're saying his Singer (which is pretty much like mine) has enough mass to keep stitching? Maybe my gears need lubing then!

I can't say that without knowing more information most of which I wouldn't be able to deal with anyway. The size of the motor, the torque behind it, the quality and condition of the parts would all enter into that.

I wouldn't think it would hurt to have the machine looked over by someone who can assess the bushings and such and give it a good cleaning. Also it will only continue for a stitch or two. Not very long.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skyclad View Post
    What's your impression of the slant needle/foot arm? Better visibility? Any other advantages?

thanks
    One of the advantages of a slant shank is supposed to be that the needle won't fray or abrade the threads of the material that you are sewing. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but that's what they say.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast