Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Base Weight

Not another how much does your gear weigh quesion. Instead a little more broad. What makes up your base weight?

When I think of "Base Weight," I include pack, shelter and sleeping gear, stove and cooking gear, and any other gear that I always carry. But not clothes (as that varies per season/conditions), food or water.

Certainly there is a "standard" (even if unofficial) of what this should include.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I've always understood base weight as everything except food, water, and fuel.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Everything but food, water, fuel, and clothes for me.... as those all vary from season to season... I'll be waying my new base with hammock sleeping system this weekend.... Hope to keep it under 12lbs...
    Last edited by sr1355; 10-06-2010 at 13:28.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I agree with DB... Base weight is the weight of everything except consumables.

I tend to take it a step back and make it everything except consumables that will be carried in my Pack. I carry certain items in my pockets (fire kit, maps, camera) that I dont count (but it's on my spreadsheet)

Primary reason I'm used to carrying my wallet, phone, keys in my pockets and what I carry on my hikes is actually less than what I carry on a regular basis so it seems to cancel out.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down &amp; IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I think the only thing that does change with my "base" weight is which quilts I'm carrying. My winter weight is about 2ish pounds more than my summer. And Fall/Spring is about 1 pound more than summer. I've got 2 sets of quilts (TQ & UQ's) that I'll mix and match for whatever the weather is doing.

My clothes will also vary depending on the weather.

My stove (caldera from Antigravitygear) includes one small bottle of fuel that I do include in my base weight... just because it's all packed up together. On longer trips, I will carry an extra fuel bottle that is not part of the base weight.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator &amp; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I was having a conversation with Law Dawg over in another thread when I began having a bout of ADOS (Attention Deficit....Oh! Shiney!). As my mind wandered, it occurred to me that basically, your base weight does not change depending upon the length of the trip.

Since BW does not include food or water (and in some case clothes), these are the variables of how long you go between resupply.

My older brother thru hiked the AT back in '76; back then, there were only a few dozen people a year who did that. Hitting the trail out of the post office/resupply, his pack weighted 65-70 lbs. It seems 1/2 that weight and less would not be out of reach for some who are frugal with their allowances and gear.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Base weight is usually considered everything you will carry minus consumables
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

• + New Posts