Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

US GI Modular Sleep System

Been browsing these on eBay and other online sites for about a year now, but am always nervous about what I'd be getting. I have heard both good stories and bad stories about buying these online.

Thought I'd give it a shot here, see what might be out there! Shoot me a PM if you have one you want to get rid of.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    if you can find a local army/navy surplus store you may be able to at least see what they look like... if you're looking at all 4 pieces let me tell you it's huge...

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    if you can find a local army/navy surplus store you may be able to at least see what they look like... if you're looking at all 4 pieces let me tell you it's huge...
    And heavy. But does it's job well.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Randy turned me on to the USGI Mod system last year, as well as the ECW bag (Extreme Cold Weather). He found them at a local surplus store and we snatched them up.

As a proud member of Randy's Texas Pound Hawg club, we don't care what they weigh. The darn things just work!

Hammock
    HH & WB & GT & ENO
    Tarp
    Hennessy ASYM 30D
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm a big fan of this sleep system!

I have and use the full 3 piece set. I use the green bag the most, which works for me down to 25F or so (with balaclava and socks). I have nested it with the black bag down to around zero. I hear great things about the bivy, but haven't used mine yet.

While the black bag is huge and heavy, the green bag crushes up to a tiny size, and only weighs about 3 pounds...if I had to choose, I would just buy the green bag, but the black bag is nice for winter or car-camping. I've used the black bag at temps well below zero when nested inside a cheapie 0F bag, and slept toasty warm.

All in all, I find the MSS to be a bargain, and the various components to be useful in a variety of situations, both individually and together...it's my goto sleep solution for camping year around...

I fit inside the bags snugly, but functionally, and I am 6' and about 300 pounds, with a 54" chest.

Jamie - nfa

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Have a look at the Wiggys version. I have it and it's a lot higher quality than the Army's version...lowest bidder and all that. It'll probably be a little more expensive than the Army version, though...especially with all the previously issued ones being sold on eBay.

The only thing I don't like about the Wiggys one is that the bivy isn't breathable. Not that GoreTex is all that breathable, but at least the Army got that part right.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    I have one of these bags, I like how warm it is and it is much easier to compact than the Canadian winter sleep system but I find I don't use it much since it's a pyramid shape...I feel too crammed inside of it. I may take it on my next trip and use as a top quilt if my burrow is not in yet.

I also have the U.S. Military winter bivy bag. The bivy combined with this sleeping bag is super warm and is easily the warmest sleep system I've slept in yet!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps
    with this and other militray items...caveat emptor!
    i have bought a few items that i thought were authentic USGI and found out later that is was "mil-spec" or mil-style" which is another word for made in china POS...just be sure to get an authentic USGI MSS or any other military item...

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    I bought the green bag for about $32 just before I got out of the Marine Corps in 1999. I used it on my 99 AT thru-hike from Hot Springs, NC all the way to Katahdin. It weighs a shade over 2 pounds, holds up to washing well, and packs pretty small. I would estimate it was good to just above freezing.

The only time I used both bags was during deployments to north Norway during January through March. If you don't need arctic gear, save your money on the black bag.

The bivy is decent quality but it is just plain heavy. You can get lighter weight and good service for $90 with the REI minimalist bivy.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Just FYI... A few people suggested buying a traditional bag and a bivy separately. I already own 6 sleeping bags rated anywhere from -5° to 55°. I just want one of these for the "gear collector" factor. Definitely wouldn't be for backpacking! I would kind of like to have one of these sets in my wife's car in winter time in case she ever got stranded. Would be a nice compliment to the small "keep me alive for 48 hours" kit I keep in the car.

A friend of mine and I are also planning a winter camping trip this year where we don't take any shelter other than bag/bivy. I REALLY want to try digging a snow cave or building a Quinzhee, depending on how deep the snow is and where we go. Just one of those things I want to say I've done at least once in my life. I think the MSS would be great for that sort of thing.
    Last edited by sir_n0thing; 10-05-2010 at 16:43. Reason: removed video links
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast