Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mod's note - This thread is in the Marketplace forum, Want to Buy. It's for details on purchasing the gear rather than for discussing the pros/cons or future uses of the gear.

If the OP would like to move the thread to the Top Insulation, we can continue to discuss hammock-related uses of the MSS. If it's confined to ground use, it belongs in the Roundtable subforum.

Otherwise, let's keep it on the topic of the purchase.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Good point Jeff!

Anyway, still looking. Would rather purchase from a source I trust (HF members) rather than eBay. I'll give it a few more days here before I look elsewhere.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have a 60's issue unused (ok, I napped in it once) M1949 mountain bag, I think...

It's in great shape, no holes, clean, etc.

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldier...eeping_bag.php

It's full of a mix of down/feathers and is pretty heavy. I've aired it out quite a bit and that old musty smell is mostly gone.

I'm 6' and I just barely fit. It's quite comfortable and warm. I'd only use it for car camping given the weight.

PM me an offer. I figure I can ship this priority mail for $15. I've seen these on ebay for $90, but that's a little steep.

I think I have the pic mislabeled as the M1942. I can double check it.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the offer JohnSawyer, but I'm looking for the modern 4-piece system with the Gore-Tex bivy.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_n0thing View Post
    Thanks for the offer JohnSawyer, but I'm looking for the modern 4-piece system with the Gore-Tex bivy.
    What? No 6lbs of chicken feathers to carry around???
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    My own $25 DIY Hammock.
    Tarp
    Chinook Camo.
    Insulation
    E.C.W.S Military
    Suspension
    Bioshock

E.C.W.S system is great.

I have one and so does the guy i hunt with and i have yet to get cold using it. I have a Claytor hammock and use a Z- rest in between the double hammock. I then lay the black bag in the bottom and then the green one on top of that. (i use them like blankets instead of sleeping bags) It may be a little heavy but it will last you a lifetime and you will never get cold. Personally i'll take a little extra weight over sleeping cold anyday. When i got mine it was found by the piece. I found the Bivey first and then the black bag then finally the green bag. I paid less then $50 bucks for the whole thing, but thats been a few years back now. The cheapest i have seen them is around $200. "DO NOT" buy the knockoff as they are worthless. Pay the few extra bucks and get the real thing. If you are fortunate enough to have an Army surplus store near you, you could go about finding them the way i did and save yourself a lot of money. If not, Sportsmans Warehouse has them (the real ones & the knockoff) just be sure to get the real deal. You won't be dissappointed. Hope this helps. Good health and happy hangin.

Hammock
    My own $25 DIY Hammock.
    Tarp
    Chinook Camo.
    Insulation
    E.C.W.S Military
    Suspension
    Bioshock

Not!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    I have a 60's issue unused (ok, I napped in it once) M1949 mountain bag, I think...

It's in great shape, no holes, clean, etc.

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldier...eeping_bag.php

It's full of a mix of down/feathers and is pretty heavy. I've aired it out quite a bit and that old musty smell is mostly gone.

I'm 6' and I just barely fit. It's quite comfortable and warm. I'd only use it for car camping given the weight.

PM me an offer. I figure I can ship this priority mail for $15. I've seen these on ebay for $90, but that's a little steep.

I think I have the pic mislabeled as the M1942. I can double check it.
    This is NOT the new system bag. This is the old school one from a long time ago. This, in and of itself, weighs more then the new 3 layer system all together. Good bag as long as it does'nt get wet. Way to warm for summer and most other times of the years too. If you don't live in a cold climate i would find something better and lighter. Like the E.C.W.S. Its the best our government (and the lowest bidder) could come up with. LOL

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Travel, Parachute
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    A work in progress
    Suspension
    noose
    If your digging a snow cave, you won't need a fancy bag. They are like a sweat lodge if you dig them right.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    Some buddies of mine that were Rangers swore by just taking the gore-tex bivy sack for a sleeping bag most of the time.
    I've been sub zero with the issue bivy sack cover, green patrol bag and a lightweight Snugpack jungle bag in place of the black GI inner bag.
    Got too hot in fact and used the snugpack bag as sort of a top quilt with the green patrol bag and Gore-tex bivy sack cover zipped most of the way open!!
    (Back in my former, ground-bound tenting life)
    DKPerdue

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    Watch out for the surplus stores. Some of them have the China knock offs and/or they charge waaaay too much($250 at the local one here for ECWS system). They have some good deals, but they kill you on the more popular items. Just beware.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast