Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Cat 8X10
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Stock & JRB Glides

Q for fabric/sewing gurus re Rainshield Pants

I just bought a pair of Rainshield rain pants that I need to shorten. The website (rainshield.com) calls it a microporous film made from polypropelyne membrane. I put the question of how to shorten the pants to the owner and here's the answer (nonanswer) that I got:

The seam is ultrasonically seamed and you can only find such technology overseas these days as there aren’t any more machines in the US that do this. Because of this, it is out of expertise to advise you on how to do it any other way then by ultrasonically seaming the hem to maintain the water hold out. It is possible that thread would take and that you could use some sort of strong tape, but again, we couldn’t stand behind that recommendation.

Has anyone worked with this "fabric" and is there a reliable way to shorten the pants? Should I just cut them and not worry about a hem (they hopefully won't be used alot)? Is there another method that we should try? They only cost $20, so I don't mind experimenting a bit or having a less than perfect solution. Thanks for your help.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The first thing that comes to my mind would be tyvek tape. Sewing with machine would break the membrane and be a possible source of leaks. However if the leaks are at the bottom of the legs that may not be an issue. I would be hesitant to suggest anything like heat sealing as it could very easily damage to the material.

The film in question is likely a non-woven material. As a result, unless it is a laminate with a woven fabric it would not fray if you simply cut it off and left the bottom untreated. If it is a loose laminate I might not recommend that as you could catch the membrane on trail obstacles and damage it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, HH Bkpkr Ult Asym , GT
    Tarp
    OES Mct, WB Sprfly
    Insulation
    leighlo,HG burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps
    Could you possibly roll the residual fabric under and tape it on the inside?

RamblinRev said: "However if the leaks are at the bottom of the legs that may not be an issue."

In my mind, this would work if you had a pair of gaitors under the pants.

$20... you won't be out much if you don't get it right.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Cat 8X10
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Stock & JRB Glides
    Thanks Rev. I'll look into the Tyvek tape. As you suggest, a little leakage at the bottom (holes from sewing) probably would not be a problem for rain pants. I may just cut it once a little long and see if it frays or wears out too quickly. Then use one of the other options as a fall back.

Maybe "hot knife" cutting would help? My wife has a wood burner kit with a blade-like attachment (about 3/8 in long). Would that work (on glass with a metal straight edge)?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Dave View Post
    Maybe "hot knife" cutting would help? My wife has a wood burner kit with a blade-like attachment (about 3/8 in long). Would that work (on glass with a metal straight edge)?
    I would not recommend it. But I know very little about nopn-woven materials. Membrane can be weird things. Instead of cutting nicely like woven synthetics you might find it contracts in to a gooey unfixable mess. If you have enough extra you might give it a try. But my gut says no for whatever that is worth.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Cat 8X10
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Stock & JRB Glides
    Thanks for the help. I'll report back when we make the cut.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Sounds quite similiar to Dri Ducks material.... cuts fine with scissors and sews ok for a rolled hem... Use 8 stitches per inch.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Sounds quite similiar to Dri Ducks material.... cuts fine with scissors and sews ok for a rolled hem... Use 8 stitches per inch.

Pan
    I did the same thing to my Dri Ducks with no problem whatsoever. Yeah; it will probably no longer be "watertight" at the sewn hem, but its at your ankle. Its gonna get wet there anyway.
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Dave View Post
    I may just cut it once a little long and see if it frays or wears out too quickly. Then use one of the other options as a fall back.

Good ideas.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Cat 8X10
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Stock & JRB Glides
    Thanks to all for input. HF is a great resource.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast