Grand Trunk Travel, Parachute
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    A work in progress
    Suspension
    noose

Handicap in need of hanger advice...

Hello, I am a Scout Master and we encourage our boys to get their fathers to come with us camping. One boys father was in a severe car accident lat year to the point that he had at least one of every thing break. He had to relearn to use one of his arms and to walk again not to mention that he spent several months in the hospital.

This father would like to go camping, he and I were talking because he knows I hang on most of our campouts. He says that he does not have the ability to pull his 6' 8" 250lbs frame off of the ground and wanted to look into hanging.

I was going to set my Grandtrunk up and see if he can get in and out of it. The last thing he can afford it to hit the ground and break something else.

Since I am a rookie, does any one have suggestions? What kind of hammock would work best for him, suspension, tarp and quilts..ect. ?

Thanks In advance!

First question is which Grand Trunk do you have? I ask as some are listed as 250lb and others are more! If you have one that is listed at 250lb, chances are it will hold, but is he willing to take the chance??? Best thing would be to have a hammock rated at 300lbs there are some made by Grand Trunk, Eno, Warbonnet, and other's! Then a webbing suspension, or whoopie sling suspension would hold just fine! I would stay away from the Slap Straps from Eno as they stretch terribly and really aren't worth crap!!! I would have him get one of these hammocks (which ever he chooses, cheaper or not) and then hang and try it out, then if he likes/loves it then go and get the tarp and everything else, as if he doesn't like it then it's not a major loss, and the hammock could be sold here if needed!
    Just my opinion!!!!!!!!!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    A work in progress
    Suspension
    noose
    Thanks for the reply Cranky Bear,

I have the hammock below so it should hold him, I didn't change the suspension much, just changed the tree straps to 1" Mule Tape rated at 2500# so I think I am good there.

Grand Trunk Parachute Nylon Travel Hammock - Single - Specification

Description
    Weight 14 ounces
    Material(s) Parachute nylon silk
    Folded dimensions 8 x 6 inches
    Unfolded dimensions 108 x 48 inches
    Capacity 400 pounds

I think that a double might fit him better but since he will be only testing, mine we will be good for now. Your right, I won't put the cart before the horse. I am sure that there are better hammocks out there so I figured I would give him all his options , I did point him to HF since this is where the PRO's are!

At his size your hammock might be a slight small!?!?! But he will get the concept, just might not get the full comfort?? But one never know's, I now use a Nano 7, and find it comfortable, but my better half doesn't, so it's a flip of a coin! The prices of some of the manufacturers that I listed are in retrospect minor to the comparison of the HH, or Blackbird, the WB Traveler Double Layer 1.7oz lists for 75$ which is the most expensive of the one's I listed, the cheapest one can be had on ebay for 30$ or so!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I am mobility impaired and so I have maybe a unique perspective on this. You need to make sure that he can get OUT of the hammock of choice. That is my biggest obstacle. I have found the bottom entry HH hammocks to resolve that issue perfectly. I can sit at chair height in the opening of the hammock and pull myself up to standing. No other hammock that I am aware of offers me that option. At his size I would recommend the Safari Deluxe as the most viable option. It is made for big/tall people. With the bottom entry it offers that ability to provide a stable way to exit standing.

If he has no difficulty getting out of a top/side loader then the field is wide open but if that is a problem the bottom entry HH is a high quality solution.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, HH Bkpkr Ult Asym , GT
    Tarp
    OES Mct, WB Sprfly
    Insulation
    leighlo,HG burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I am mobility impaired and so I have maybe a unique perspective on this. You need to make sure that he can get OUT of the hammock of choice. That is my biggest obstacle. I have found the bottom entry HH hammocks to resolve that issue perfectly. I can sit at chair height in the opening of the hammock and pull myself up to standing. No other hammock that I am aware of offers me that option. At his size I would recommend the Safari Deluxe as the most viable option. It is made for big/tall people. With the bottom entry it offers that ability to provide a stable way to exit standing.

If he has no difficulty getting out of a top/side loader then the field is wide open but if that is a problem the bottom entry HH is a high quality solution.
    I will second this option !!! I really like having the ability to enter the hammock through the bottom.

You can hang the hammock in question chair height for the individual and help him in and out and teach him a few of the learning curves of hammock slumber. If he likes being elevated, he can always make a jump to a HH.

Good Luck.

This is definitely words of wisdom, and something that I very much did not consider!

Hammock
    Hennessay Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac
    Suspension
    Homemade whoopie
    Another thought on the HH. If he does go to a HH make sure that it's not hung too high. My wife has trouble getting her feet to the ground and doesn't have anything to pull against to get her center of gravity shifted forware. I would suggest installing a continuous loop through the end gathered end along side the ridgeline and attaching to the suspension, then loop or line of approximate length to pull oneself up with.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    A work in progress
    Suspension
    noose
    I I have found the bottom entry HH hammocks to resolve that issue perfectly. I can sit at chair height in the opening of the hammock and pull myself up to standing.
    We talked about the HH but he was concerned about leaning all the way forward to open the bottom of the hammock. No having tried a HH I couldn't speak to it however I could imagine having to sit up and reach beyond your feet to pull the Velcro open. Does any one have experience with this?

Quote Originally Posted by slackmacker View Post
    We talked about the HH but he was concerned about leaning all the way forward to open the bottom of the hammock. No having tried a HH I couldn't speak to it however I could imagine having to sit up and reach beyond your feet to pull the Velcro open. Does any one have experience with this?
    It's actually not hard, but you don't have to use your hands to open it up! You can use your feet (I have the HH Hyperlight) it's a little tricky at first but once you get it it's very easy to do, also after the velcro has worn a little it opens much easier (but will still keep it's holding power to remain closed when wanted)! You still have to sit up slightly to get out, but, you can grab the fabric (NOT THE NET) to assist you in getting up and with your legs already hanging out it's all a matter of getting your torso up (which get's easier the more you do it, practice makes perfect kind of thing)!!

Hope this helps!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast