Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    eno
    Tarp
    8x10 Oware
    Insulation
    HG, KAQ

Hammock camping with 2 kids

Has anyone camped with three hammocks together. Adult and two kids. Im thinking if I should buy two more hammocks or a larger tent. Post pics of your setups if you have any. Also, what would be a sufficient size tarp?

Thanks,
    Max

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copperhead View Post
    Has anyone camped with three hammocks together. Adult and two kids. Im thinking if I should buy two more hammocks or a larger tent. Post pics of your setups if you have any. Also, what would be a sufficient size tarp?

Thanks,
    Max
    IMO everyone will sleep better in hammocks...and, of course, it partly depends on the ages and inclinations of the kids!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Welcome copperhead. I have no experience hanging with kids (yet--I have kids, they just don't yet hammock) but it is good to see more locals on the forum.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    It depends on the kids a lot. Last year when I started hanging my oldest son had to have his own hammock, own tarp and his own spot. He hangs where he wants to, with me close of coarse but he wants his space. He would much rather be in his set up than share space in the tent like we used to. Plowhorse has some pictures in his gallery section of him with 2 of his boys hanging bunked above his hammock stacked 3 deep.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    I have recently taken my oldest daughter on her first backpacking trip. Upon her request, we hung bunk bed style and it worked out well. My youngest daughter is eagerly waiting her turn to hit the trail. Both girls have their own hammocks (Hennessey Expeds)and have camped with me in the backyard. They both would do very well in the bunk bed setup with me and/or momma nearby.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL
    Tarp
    Hammockgear Cuben
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Webbing
    Images
    Yep, it´s nice and it´s working to hammock with 2 kids at the same time. We slept out this summer all of us but I needed a really big tarp to cover us. I bought a cheap one from the gas-station that was about 19ftx15ft. A little overkill but my 10ftx10ft wasn´t big enough.

I made the setup with all hammock-headends at the same tree and the footends at each tree (about 5ft apart).

Picture:
    No longer with a great "Yukon Yak Fever"

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

My pictures:My Picasa-album

My paracord-webshop:Webshop
    Sorry dudes, only in Swedish (so far).

Hammock
    BMBH /WBBB 1.7DBL
    Tarp
    WB SF / OES MC DLX
    Insulation
    JRB down TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    WS + dutchstuff
    hi there,

This is also something I'm very interested in. I have two kids (9 & 12) and as yet haven't done any hanging with them, but keen to try soon.

My concerns are that over here (scotland) where we seem to have a 'poorer selection' of trees - or maybe fewer 'consistently good opportunities to hang' might be a better way of putting it - I might struggle to find a suitable spot. From info. gleaned from months of 'lurking' here a 'three tree' spot seems ideal, to allow a feet together/heads apart setup, but I worry that finding that could be a challenge.

Then, in our typically blustery, damp conditions what style/size of tarp would give the best hope of a reasonably dry night?There's a saying over here that if it's not raining, just wait 5 minutes... So I've tended to go for pretty large and square tarps so far to maximise coverage.

So - I'll be following this one to see what comes along!

Cheers

D

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    cuben hex
    Insulation
    Winter Phoenix
    Suspension
    adj. webbing
    I've got two kids as well and I started taking them out with me hammock camping this summer. They took to it like naturals. The setups varied. Sometimes I paired the kids up under a tarp and sometimes we all hung solo but close together. When its just me and one of them we always hang close together under one tarp. Best times we've ever had camping. I love backpacking with them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    eno
    Tarp
    8x10 Oware
    Insulation
    HG, KAQ
    My boys are still a little young. One is seven the other is five. We are going canoe camping in two weeks, this will be the five year olds first trip. I will probably bring my hammock and let one of them try it this trip and see how he does and sleep in the tent with the other one. I will let you all know how it goes.

max

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Three hammocks under an Etowa 12x10. That night we had a pretty strong storm, yet we were all nice and dry in the morning.

Don't let up until you hear cartilage snap, or they crap in their pants. Sal Bandini

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast