Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Thanks Grizz! Enjoyed the series. It was cool watching you pull out all your stuff out of those bags. It was like watching a bunch of people keep coming out of the VW bug. Man how did he pack all that with little weight? Really learned somethin'

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Thanks for sharing your pack contents. I am glad to know I am not the only one that takes the iPhone for reading. I can't do music when I'm out but I did read a little bit of The Grand Canyon of Arizona by George Wharton James last night from the hammock.

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the rundown of what you carry Grizz--this will help me whittle down what I carry for a 2-3 day trip. I think I can leave the kitchen sink at home now....
    Solvitur Ambulando - Diogenes

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Thanks for giving us a peek into your pack.

Gotta figure out why mine always comes in so much heavier.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Excellent series Grizz. Thanks for the wonderful entertainment.
    We are a funny bunch, when watching a wood stove burn and a guy pull gear out of a pack counts as entertainment. But y'all a great bunch to be a little weird with.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Well that was a nice wrap up to the hike series ... now get out and do another hike so you can drag us along Grizz. Nice going. Always interesting to compare pack loads to others and especially how they organize stuff. Good workable system ya have there!
    I have to get to the Gorge and really earn my badge; when I do the camera will come along. Watch out if you are in front of me. The things I'll do with a zoom....

Quote Originally Posted by Old River Rat View Post
    As I am still learning, this was a very informative video. The gear description was especially helpful. Thanks.
    Great, glad you find something to learn in there. It's how we learn, comparing stories and techniques.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    thanks for taking us along Grizz ....
    come along anytime. Next time bring your buddy Dutch!

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Great vid's Grizz, thanks for taking the time to do it for us!!
    I was getting the video itch. Scratched it. Feels good!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    Thank you Grizz, I really like the "This is what I took with me on this trip" section. For someone who is trying to drop weight both body and pack it is better to see what others are carrying and make comparisons.
    sometimes easier to drop load from the pack than from the carcass
    But what I've learned to ask is "Will I use this often enough to justify bringing it?" For a long long time I always brought too many clothes. Now its just what I wear on the trail, and what I sleep in. So I stink some....I like hiking alone

Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    Great series of videos. I might have to try out that area.
    C'mon over Arson...I was suggesting it to koolkayak for that get-together you two were plotting.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Very well done Grizz.......
    Love peeking into another fellers pack.
    What .... no knife?
    I keep thinking about a GPS ... I shall continue to ponder.
    Shug
    A man's gotta have a knife! Mine was tucked away inside the MSR Titan pot. Actually on the trail I have it clipped to a pocket. A man's gotta have a knife Ready To Use. On GPS....I'm a map guy. Big Picture. If I use a GPS it is just to tell me where I am on a map. Proves to be really helpful on a canoe in a small river when you don't have many visual points of reference to use in the regular map thing.

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I may try a "what's in my pack" video myself someday, though I expect my account may include numerous instances of "Well I tried to do this with these but I found that that happened, so next time I may do something else..." .
    Hey that's an excellent idea. Another venue for learning. I've always thought there ought to be a Journal of Experiments That Didn't Work. Because negative results have information too.

Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    Thanks Grizz! Enjoyed the series. It was cool watching you pull out all your stuff out of those bags. It was like watching a bunch of people keep coming out of the VW bug. Man how did he pack all that with little weight? Really learned somethin'
    I like that image! (says he whose first vehicle was a VW)

Quote Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post
    Thanks for sharing your pack contents. I am glad to know I am not the only one that takes the iPhone for reading. I can't do music when I'm out but I did read a little bit of The Grand Canyon of Arizona by George Wharton James last night from the hammock.
    The thing I like least about my iPhone is the phone! I listen to podcasts, audio books, I read electronic books, I read email, read HF (not too much writing though, not so good a device for that). 10 oz well worth it to me on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeteze View Post
    Thanks for the rundown of what you carry Grizz--this will help me whittle down what I carry for a 2-3 day trip. I think I can leave the kitchen sink at home now....
    But what if you could find a titanium kitchen sink...
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Arghhh! You got me there, but it would have to be shiny...as in "Oh, look there's something shiny".
    Solvitur Ambulando - Diogenes

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    "After making this series I have a certain sense of "Much Ado About Nothing". But we do what we can here in the breadbasket of the nation. I knew when I moved here that to hike and camp in the fashion I preferred I would have to travel."--Grizz

Man, I hear ya, my friend. I think you were in Hanover NH for a while, if I recall right, and me Mass native, so yep, not exactly like the White Mountains, or even Mount Monadnock for that matter. Hell, I'd settle for the Queechee Gorge. Covered Bridge festival... shmestival. We had the Windsor-Cornish Bridge, with Jerome David Salinger hidden on the other side!

Yep, fine video. I must be the only person on earth without an Ohm ULA, I still have a Kelty external frame.

Arson, I shot you the emails three weeks ago or so, please check your schedule at the station and PM me 2-3 dates in Oct, Nov (weekends, has to be) and I will refine, then shoot them off to Prof and see if we can make it happen. I am happy to learn that Grizz has ways of skirting the "no hammocks" regs. That said, I think I'll not bring my pink ENO DN and white Kelty 12. lol

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End w DIY Bug Net
    Tarp
    DIY Black Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Hey Grizz!!

I really enjoyed your hike. Thanks for taking us

I have a 3 layer differential cut insultex underquilt. I love it - its really light and was pretty cheap.

How did you construct your top quilt? Is it really as simple as ripstop - insultex - ripstop? I am so impressed that you took it down to mid 50's.

If that is the extent of it, I'll be making one before this week is out.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Just watched all 3 back to back. OOOh I wants me an Ohm so bad I can tastes it. Thanx fer the vids Grizz!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    ... We had the Windsor-Cornish Bridge, with Jerome David Salinger hidden on the other side!
    Hey I lived in Cornish, crossed that bridge twice a day commuting to Hanover. JD Salinger was a neighbor. Not one that I ever saw....

Yep, fine video. I must be the only person on earth without an Ohm ULA, I still have a Kelty external frame.
    'cause you kayak primarily, and my money says you go for cutting edge and quality in your kayaking gear...

I am happy to learn that Grizz has ways of skirting the "no hammocks" regs. That said, I think I'll not bring my pink ENO DN and white Kelty 12. lol
    Another place I think you can hang is Kickapoo State Park. Was there this weekend with the family, on the ground, but with a lounging hammock up next to the tent. There are so-called primitive camp sites back in the trees, so more consistent hanging opportunities. There are also places all over the park I'm sure one could walk to and hang in stealth, leaving the car in the campground. Just don't look like you're going backpacking as you pass the check-in station! (i.e., means you need to replace that Kelty external frame thing... Also make sure you aren't hanging on the x-country race trail or you might have an interesting surprise one Saturday. Or the bike trail...

Biggest down-side to KSP is that you can hear I74 traffic just a mile away.

Quote Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post
    Hey Grizz!!

I really enjoyed your hike. Thanks for taking us

I have a 3 layer differential cut insultex underquilt. I love it - its really light and was pretty cheap.

How did you construct your top quilt? Is it really as simple as ripstop - insultex - ripstop? I am so impressed that you took it down to mid 50's.

If that is the extent of it, I'll be making one before this week is out.
    Thanks, happy to have you along. I was alone, but felt all these eyes on the back of my neck

Indeed it was just one layer on Insultex sandwiched between 2 layers of nylon. Nuthin' fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    Just watched all 3 back to back. OOOh I wants me an Ohm so bad I can tastes it. Thanx fer the vids Grizz!
    Hey HamMike, interesting you can get that pull just from videos. For me the big sell was holding one empty. Capable of so much, but so so light.

Hope you can find your way to one by the Spring. It's not a winter pack, at least not for me.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast