Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images

Canadian Rockies

Gents,

My trip plans have changed once again, and the Canadian Rockies are looking like the destination for this Saturday.

My big concern is if Canadian Customs will object to 2.5 kilos of freeze-dried food or any other typical backpacking items being brought across the border. Of course, my other and perhaps more important concern is if the Canadian Rockies are conducive to a hammock camping. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I don't know for sure where I'll be hiking, but I'm flying into Calgary where my friend will pick me up. We will then spend a few nights in the area and drive back to Michigan.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I don't know if there would be any problems provided the food is in original packaging. You could always stock up when you arrive in Calgary. I guess as long as you are below the tree line there are ample hanging friendly woods. Hopefully someone with local knowledge will chime in. Have fun and welcome to Canada!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    Gents,

My trip plans have changed once again, and the Canadian Rockies are looking like the destination for this Saturday.

My big concern is if Canadian Customs will object to 2.5 kilos of freeze-dried food or any other typical backpacking items being brought across the border. Of course, my other and perhaps more important concern is if the Canadian Rockies are conducive to a hammock camping. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I don't know for sure where I'll be hiking, but I'm flying into Calgary where my friend will pick me up. We will then spend a few nights in the area and drive back to Michigan.
    Well if your flying in to calgary then you'll be going out to Banff and that area . Kananaskas, Canmore , Banff, thats a big area . There are tons of hiking trails in the area, various loops in the Banff area, horse trails into the back country etc. I'm sure there would be hanging spots but the forest can be dense as well . Your in luck as Banff is about to have a run of good weather but it will be cold at night. If you Google "Banff hiking" you'll get a number of suggestions with milage and what to expect. You could also google Lake Louise, and Canmore for hiking also. You could check with MEC in calgary and also some of the outfitters like Valhalla Pure in Canmore and they'll give suggestions if your specific about what you want to do. There's a real nice cafe on the main drag of Canmore , tables outside looking into the mnts, wish i could remember its name. Use to stop there every year motorcycling to calgary. Good luck, sounds like you'll have good weather and this year thats sayin something. Hope this helps.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Gents, thanks for the advice. At about 0100 hours on Saturday morning I'll be in Calgary. I'll then drive back and maybe hang a night or two around Winnipeg and then Taquemenon Falls, Michigan. It's going to be a long trip report...

the best book for backpacking, hiking and day trips is called Don't Waste Your Time in the Canadian Rockies.
    If you get a chance to go to Mt Robson jump on it. A really awesome place
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    [QUOTE=Ewker;328802]the best book for backpacking, hiking and day trips is called Don't Waste Your Time in the Canadian Rockies.
    If you get a chance to go to Mt Robson jump on it. A really awesome place[/QUOTE

+1 on that book
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

• + New Posts