Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    For whatever it's worth, I personally don't use the figure 9s anymore myself either. I only go backpacking a few times a year and originally bought the 9s because I though they would be easier for me since I have a hard time remembering my knots. However, the figure 9s are not intuitive to use for me for whatever reason. I find them just as hard to remember how to use compared to just tying a knot in the first place! I've since switched to various forms of dutch bling, which I find a lot easier to use than the 9s or knots.

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    once you get the hang of knots, gadgets lose their apeal.
    Once you set up in the dark, cold and rain/sleet while fatigued, knots (for the sake of knots) lose their appeal.

Hammock
    Dream Freebird 11.5'
    Tarp
    12' DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    strap + mule tape
    Images
    While I am far from a knot expert, there is a certain beauty to a well tied knot that is used for its intended purpose. The gadgetry, while ingenious, will never have that same appeal for me.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    See the link below. Three of the easiest knots to learn while having a 3:1 advantage. You need to learn two knots, a slip knot and a slippery half hitch are able to be tied in the dark, with my eyes closed, raining, with gloves. Just practice a little before hitting the trail.

http://andrewskurka.com/2016/guyline...arps-hammocks/

Hammock
    Eclypse II
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Raqpak straps
    I teach scouts knots. I have used them for a long time in many different circumstances. A taut line hitch and two half hitches (or bowline) are what I use almost exclusively for guy lines, ridge lines etc. Not once have they failed me-wet, high winds, etc. I have tied them so many times I can do it in the dark or with my eyes closed. Every person will have their own preference. Both will work. One thing about knots is you will ALWAYS have them if you learn them and use them. With bling or gadgets, what happens if you lose it, or it malfunctions, breaks, etc? Ropes can get cut, broken, gadgets can slip off. With knots, as long as you have rope...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srwven View Post
    With bling or gadgets, what happens if you lose it, or it malfunctions, breaks, etc? Ropes can get cut, broken, gadgets can slip off. With knots, as long as you have rope...
    I dropped one of my Dutch Flyz in 2' of snow once. I briefly looked just to say I did but I knew I wasn't going to find it. I got by with my very poor knot skills. I'm still a hardware user, but try to practice knots more than I used to. Even if you don't know the proper knot, you can always get by. Might not be pretty, but it will hold!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL, DIY inprogress
    Tarp
    In the works
    Insulation
    Warm weather ;)
    Suspension
    stock wb webbing
    Knots are easy

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    The square knot is the symbol of scouting but it seems that the taut line is the most used knot in the program. I prefer the Farrimond Hitch because it adds the element of slippery, but to each their own.

http://www.animatedknots.com/farrimond/#ScrollPoint
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    Dream Darien
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I started out in the very beginning learning how to tie knots because I was curious. I watched every knot tying video that i could find on youtube and practiced daily. That led me to how to hang a tarp video which then led me to camping, backpacking and hiking videos. Then i stumbled upon a hammock camping video which i thought was amazing that you could use a hammock instead of a tent. After buying my hammock and tarp i started thinking about which gear that i was going to buy and started looking at dutch's website. Then I thought, why do I need any gear? I know how to tie knots and I enjoy tying them. Knots is what started me on this journey in the first place so i forgot all about buying gear and have been tying knots for my tarp setup. It really is easy once you know what you are doing.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I believe you should learn the knots, but then go for what works best for you. I started with Tautline hitches - but it's a lot of knots (a least 10 on a big tarp). These days I use figure-9's I camp where it is wet and sometimes cold and dealing with knots, especially with thin cord, in those conditions is not fun for me. In my "guide" years, I was drilled to tie all the basic knots behind my back. I recall one teacher telling me, "If you want respect, you'll have to learn to tie that bowline without reciting a nursery rhyme (rabbit comes up the hole, around the tree, back down the hole)". Knots are fun. And useful. But when setting up camp, especially if working with others who might not know knots, I just wrap around the figure-9 and if I feel itchy, I back it up with a second wrap or a slippery half hitch.

The only down side is the location of the figure -9's seems to be at odds with the rigging of the day, either too close to the stake or too close to the tarp guy point. I use nite-ez reflector cord and it doesn't slide very well. So there is some fuzzing to put the figure-9 in the right spot.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-24-2016 at 13:15.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast