Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jscalia View Post
    You can quick release a truckers hitch by putting a loop into the last half hitch .
    Still leaves the first half hitch to be undone by hand though, right?

When I do the working end back-and-forth between a ring and a biner (a lazy man trucker's hitch!), if the cord visits each end three times there is so little tension on the free end that a single half hitch on a loop is enough to hold it. I expect the same is true here. Using a truckers hitch I can ditch the biner I think (idiosyncratic to my use...ring is on a ridgeline, biner is on the loops of the tree straps, I can just tie the suspension cord to the tree straps.) Will give this a shot next time I'm out with the gear.

Grizz

I just make a couple of loops of the trailing rope end after pulling it through the pulley loop and make a loop in the clove hitch. So, actually, its only one tied knot holding the hitch together because the multiple loops really hold a lot of the tension through simple friction.

If you want to use a biner instead of a tuaght line hitch or nite ize, you can simply run the biner end of the rope through the tree strap and back onto the hammock rope. If you clip the biner onto the rope and run one or two loops around the biner body, the friction will hold and you can move it back and forth along the rope to make length adjustments.

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Anyone know of a pointer to the "easily undone" version of the trucker's hitch?

Thanks
    Grizz
    THIS is the knot that I use and if done right you can just pull the centre line and it will come undone.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Images
    when i tie the trucker's, the fixed loop is a slip knot that can easily be popped and moved or removed without having to actually untie it, just pull in opposite directions and it pops.

as for tying the hitch, if you use a line that's not stiff, you can just use a single exploding half hitch, which can be untied with a single pull.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Yep, that's the one I use. I can tie it pretty durn quick now, second nature. I have used it for all of my tarp to stake goy out lines for quite a while. And I just recently havestarted using this knot for the ridgeline in place of the fig9s.

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

Dumbing Down The Trucker

Awwww, you guys all beat me to the easily undone trucker while I was running errands...
    So, with the trucker you wind up making a loop in the line, but most of us already have a loop or ring on the straps anyway so all you really need is the end knot... I've always gone with the quick release knot(exploding half hitch?), I like it so much that that is how I tie my strap to itself around a tree, how I run my line from my hammock to the strap, and how I tie my bear bag line to itself around a tree. You can "lock" it by just running the excess chord through the opposing loop...

that's one of my ringless straps... except for two stakes I'm hardware free.
    I should have a diagram in my gallery of tieing the knot if this pic isn't helpful

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelanddime View Post
    You can "lock" it by just running the excess chord through the opposing loop...
    instead of running excess cord, run a second bight of excess cord through the opposing loop. now it's still exploding. this is how i used to lock my exploding single sheetbend, but since i switched to the owf webbing, the locking "second bight" is no longer necessary.

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    ah yeah, I've only ever bothered with locking it once so I hadn't put too much thought into it but the second bight is nice and simple. I guess you could probably drop a stick in to the free loop and pull the release until it was tight... now you have to pull the pin for the exploding knot... it probably just sounds like more fun than it actually is

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird; Old Hennessys
    Tarp
    HG Cuben; MacCat
    Insulation
    JRB top & bottom
    Suspension
    hammock anchor;UCR
    Hi Jscalia,

I love knotcraft and almost always prefer a good knot to good hardware. Figure 9s still have a place in my rig (tarp ridge-ine) for backpacking in sub-zero temperatures (Fahrenheit) when I absolutely want to minimize my "bare hands" versus "mittens" time. I've found taut-line knots that work for slippery cordage, but not any that I can tie while wearing mittens.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I find the figure 9 easier to use when I have thin line and the need for high tension. so I use them on a tarp's ridgeline, but not on the tie-outs lines.
    That's exactly what I do. I haven't found knots to be particularly effective with 1.75mm zing-it which I use on my ridge line, but Figure 9's work great and keep it taut. I'm less worried about the tie outs where I use 2mm utility cord and taut line hitches. If I weren't using zing-it on the ridge line I'd definitely go with knots.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast