WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie

SilNylon Stretch Factor

Some gear questions I have been thinking about, and wanted to throw out to the HF tribe for educational purposes of us all.

1. We all know that a Silnylon tarp stretches, and therefore the reasons for tarp tensioners and catenary cut construction exists and are employed.

Question:
    A. Does silnylon stretch if it is dry?

B. Does it stretch only when wet?

C. If it has stretched when dry, will it continue to stretch when it gets wet?

D. If I have already tightened my tarp tieouts after it has rained, or heavy fog, and it has caused the silnylon tarp to stretch, should I loosen the tieouts when the tarp has dried, to alleviate the increased forces at the tie out point? And therefore reliefing the forces applied to the tarp material in general, preventing a failure.

2. Concerning tarp to ridgline connection hardware.

Question:
    A. What is the general breaking point of a plastic type D-ring?

B. What is the general breaking point of an S-biner, whether it is plasic or metal and differing sizes.

C. With high technology lines available today for ridgeline material (Dyneema), can it be assumed that no water will absorbed, and that failure would only be from abrasion, since the tensile strength outweights the forces applied greatly?

3. Silnylon Tarp Damage prevention.

Question:
    A. What are the pros and cons of using stakes.

B. What are the pros and cons of using natural anchors. I.E.:Rocks, trees, bushes.

Well...what are your imputs team?
    Last edited by Barefoot Child; 09-23-2010 at 05:02.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    [Barefoot Child;324240]Some gear questions I have been thinking about, and wanted to throw out to the HF tribe for educational purposes of us all.
    1. We all know that a Silnylon tarp stretches, and therefore the reasons for tarp tensioners and catenary cut construction exists and are employed.

Question:
    A. Does silnylon stretch if it is dry? Not sure ... very little

B. Does it stretch only when wet? Me thinks so......

C. If it has stretched when dry, will it continue to stretch when it gets wet? Unsure.....

D. If I have already tightened my tarp tieouts after it has rained, or heavy fog, and it has caused the silnylon tarp to stretch, should I loosen the tieouts when the tarp has dried, to alleviate the increased forces at the tie out point? And therefore reliefing the forces applied to the tarp material in general, preventing a failure. Over-thinking is a terror.

Question:
    A. What is the general breaking point of a plastic type D-ring? Unsure.....

B. What is the general breaking point of an S-biner, whether it is plasic or metal and differing sizes. Never broken one yet .... and I stress 'em.

C. With high technology lines available today for ridgeline material (Dyneema), can it be assumed that no water will absorbed, and that failure would only be from abrasion, since the tensile strength outweights the forces applied greatly? Too many big words for me ...... (head hanging).......

Question:
    A. What the pros and cons of using stakes. They are easy and there instantly!.... Like magic. I use the titanium ones. Like 'em a lot.

B. What the pros and cons of using natural anchors. I.E.:Rocks, trees, bushes. Free .... no carry. If the ground is hard better have good sticks. Just an option but will add 17 seconds to pitch time.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Yeah! What he said.
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Child View Post
    Some gear questions I have been thinking about, and wanted to throw out to the HF tribe for educational purposes of us all.

Question:
    A. Does silnylon stretch if it is dry? Everything stretches. Concrete, steel, fabric. Its the basics of physics. If you take something and lay it in the sun, it warms and relaxes (best example is a piece of gum...set it on your dash in the car under the sun and it will melt. A vague reference, but the same thing happens to everything. Your pistons in your cars motor are made a couple thousands of an inch smaller to allow for expansion. Your tarp fabric does the same thing when exposed to the elements. You just took it out of a controlled environment (your pack), and now the sun heats the fabric, or water moistens the fabric.) So, yes, sil will expand/stretch when dry. Cuben and spinn does too, just not as noticeable. Percentages...

B. Does it stretch only when wet? Refer to my first answer.
    It is more noticeable when wet. Another set of factors come in to play...Your line is also getting wet and the trees, the weight of the water on the fabric adds additional stress to a previously tensioned tarp. The newer lines help some, but if you've ever tensioned a tarp with paracord, the stretch factor is apparent, more the line stretching, but it a good example of stretch. Throw some water into the equation, the fibers become relaxed and lubricated and stretch occurs.

C. If it has stretched when dry, will it continue to stretch when it gets wet?
    Yes, its a never ending cycle of stretch, it will occur, but to what degree, or percentage, is the question.
    D. If I have already tightened my tarp tieouts after it has rained, or heavy fog, and it has caused the silnylon tarp to stretch, should I loosen the tieouts when the tarp has dried, to alleviate the increased forces at the tie out point? And therefore reliefing the forces applied to the tarp material in general, preventing a failure. I don't feel it's neccessary, but if it worries you, then adjust accordingly. Peace of mind is priceless.

Question:
    A. What is the general breaking point of a plastic type D-ring?
    Depends on the d-ring. If there actually plastic, not much. Most new hardware is made from higher strength composites, not straight plastic. So the strength varies from brand to brand and material used by said brand or company. And how the force is applied and the width of the area.
    Static load and dynamic shock load are two different beasts. A d-ring might hold 60 lbs when slowly wieghted. But drop 60 lb from a foot or two tied to the same d-ring...FAIL! Wind will apply dynamic shock load.

B. What is the general breaking point of an S-biner, whether it is plasic or metal and differing sizes.
    Refer to the above answer. Not all materials are the same and fatigue and stress occur each time. Again, is it a slow steady pressure or a shock load, the physics involved vary greatly.

C. With high technology lines available today for ridgeline material (Dyneema), can it be assumed that no water will absorbed, and that failure would only be from abrasion, since the tensile strength outweights the forces applied greatly? Water effects everything, its all about percentages of absorbtion. To say "no water will be absorbed" is misleading. Your line is wet, your tie outs are wet, your tarp is wet, all add to the effect of "something is stretching".
    Also, the ground is now getting wet, which allows the stake to move some, even a little, which gives an added illusion that your tarp is stretching.
    Combined, all these little amounts of stretch add up. It's all about compensating for the inevitable. Stretch will occur.

Question:
    A. What are the pros and cons of using stakes.
    Stakes a simple easy way to attach your tarp/guylines to the ground. Stakes come in different materials and sizes, each with there own benefits and drawbacks. Size, weight, cost and durability all play a factor in which ones YOU choose to carry. The soil that the stake is used in plays a big factor to their holding power. Clay might be hard as a rock when dry, add a little rain and the clay turns to mush, and the stakes work free..

Stakes can be a fail safe. I've tripped over my guyline , and was happy the stake sprung free and the tarp did not rip. Something has got to give, either the stake, the guyline or the tarp fabric, its your choice..

B. What are the pros and cons of using natural anchors. I.E.:Rocks, trees, bushes.
    Agian, something's got to give. Natural anchors have to be used sometimes, but take into consideration something has to be the weak link. A big gust of wind, or an clumsy hammocker and damage can occur. If the anchor can move to relieve the stress, then thats good. If the anchor doesn't move and the guyline breaks, that can be repaired/replaced, if you carry spare line. Or just tie another knot in the line.
    I would rather put a weak link into the stake or guyline, save my tarp.
    Tying to major structures, like large trees and rocks can and will work. Just realize the potential for damage and tread lightly.

My two cents.
    Last edited by gargoyle; 09-23-2010 at 10:34.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    I agree that everything stretches, but how much and for how long does specifically Silnylon?

Maybe I should have chosen a better would than just the generic "plastic". What are the different materials that D-rings are made from even though they just appear at first glance to be "plastic"?
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Ripstop and other "balanced weaves" should stretch equally along the warp (along the roll) and the fill (across the roll) directions. They stretch considerably along the bias direction.

Typical elongation for nylon thread (in nylon cloth) is 13% at 100% Breaking strength. Source UK-Halsey

Typically, I find that many inexpensive synthetics such as ripstop, oxford, woven nylon, woven polyester, flag cloth actually stretch a little more in the fill direction because of the way they manufacture it. Usually in the loom, the warp threads are truly straight and the fill threads are woven over and under the warp threads. This allows a little more stretch in the fill direction.

For sailcloth and more expensive cloths, the manufacturing process takes this into account and designs for it. They also provide stretch percentages in each direction.

Nylon is hydrophillic, it absorbs moisture.

The reality is none of this matters for a tarp. Pull it tight on all your pullouts. Using tarp tensioners works great to offset a little stretch with moisture. If your concern is permanant deformation, I don't think you have to worry about that.

For the D rings, the 3/4" ones are strong enough to pull a tarp tight. I typically tighten my ridgelines and tie outs with a truckers hitch, so I pull with a 3:1 advantage.
    Last edited by nacra533; 09-23-2010 at 10:36. Reason: added elongation

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images

For the engineers

And if you want to get geeky...

This is for a spinn UL type fabric. 3/4 oz ripstop, coated.

You can see how it stretches more along the fill (90 degrees) than it does along the warp (0 degrees). If I recall correctly, this sailcloth is also manufactured for this type of stretch by crimping the threads. It is sewn together in a radial design so you don't want it getting longer top to bottom but you do want it to get more full/belly out when a gust comes to keep it from tearing.

http://www.kitebuilder.com/techsheets/Fabrictech.htm

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Anyone ever put a fish scale or some such in line on their tarp and measure the tension? That would be an interesting "fact" to debate.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Is Silnylon a "balanced weave" material?
    And is what is "bias direction?
    Are our cottage industry guys and girls taking the bias direction in consideration when making tarps?

And since I am only concerned about silnylon I would prefer to not get geeky.
    Please don't take me wrong... but at this time I only have tarps made from silnylon, and that is why I asked about silnylon specifically. I would like this discussion to stay centered on silnylon and not have to weed through all of the other types of material information.
    Last edited by Barefoot Child; 09-23-2010 at 17:45.
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Yeah, silnyl is a balanced weave material.
    Bias is diagonal to the threads. Typically not a factor in square tarps. I guess it would come into play with diamond tarps though.

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast