DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Mom and Dad says the stork dropped mine off at the house.

Those wally world brother's must have gender issues?

I'm sorry, I read this & just couldn't help myself.
    HAHAHAHHAHA

PapaSmurf....you just made my Day buddy ....thanks you

i walked right into that one
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    My problem with the cheap ones from wally world is simply the weight, or lack thereof. Their gears are plastic, but that's not the same problem as the first generation gears. But the dang things can skitter all over the place when you get them going. A machine should have a certain heft to it so it stays put. The thing I dislike most about my wife's serger is I have to chase the stinking thing all over the table. Not a good thing for straight and even stitches. It's got suction feet too. Non-skid mats can help with that but are a bit of a pain imo.

Zig zag is a useful option but totally and completely unneeded for the vast majority of work gear makers do. It is useful for medium stretch fabrics, which are almost never used in making gear. (I said almost...) Even the backstitch is not absolutely required but very handy.

When it comes right down to it... A cheap machine will do the trick but not for as long. If you use it a lot you will exceed its capabilities in a fairly short time. It will seem slow and not very powerful. But it will work until it doesn't. At that point, you are probably looking at a disposable paperweight. The cost of getting it fixed (even if possible) would likely be extravagant.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    My problem with the cheap ones from wally world is simply the weight, or lack thereof. Their gears are plastic, but that's not the same problem as the first generation gears. But the dang things can skitter all over the place when you get them going. A machine should have a certain heft to it so it stays put. The thing I dislike most about my wife's serger is I have to chase the stinking thing all over the table. Not a good thing for straight and even stitches. It's got suction feet too. Non-skid mats can help with that but are a bit of a pain imo.

Zig zag is a useful option but totally and completely unneeded for the vast majority of work gear makers do. It is useful for medium stretch fabrics, which are almost never used in making gear. (I said almost...) Even the backstitch is not absolutely required but very handy.

When it comes right down to it... A cheap machine will do the trick but not for as long. If you use it a lot you will exceed its capabilities in a fairly short time. It will seem slow and not very powerful. But it will work until it doesn't. At that point, you are probably looking at a disposable paperweight. The cost of getting it fixed (even if possible) would likely be extravagant.
    mine can move around some ...but i fixed that with some straps...since i use my old desk as my sewing table i just strapped it down and no problems with it moving now
    some of them do have plastic gears....i know mine has a few
    but so far it's held up fine after a year of hard use...as long as you take care of it ,you will get your money worth out of it i feel
    and look at it this way...if it break..just take it back
    if i was making quilts non stop...i would not want to use my brother
    i would go out and get something that can handle that load of work
    but for light to Med use...i feel the $80 brother is more then fine

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here's the reply I received back from the place with "Over 25,000 machines in stock".

Thank you for your e-mail.

We would like to quote you the following Equipment:

Consew Model 230, Used, $450.00 ea.
    Lockstitch, Self Oilier, Reverse,
    Made in Japan, Table, Motor
    110V. Complete Unit.

Export Packing on a pallet $75.00

Shipping & Handling $175.00

F.O.B: OUR STORE IN MIAMI FL
    GOOD THRU: 15 DAYS
    TERMS: 100% WITH PURCHASE ORDER.
    DELIVERY: IMMEDIATELY, IN STOCK.

This sort of gave me an idea of what kind of people I would be dealing with when I showed up at the store. "You want to pay only $100?" So I headed off to Wally's.

$80 later and a Singer under my arm I'm now a tailor. Hemmed some work pants. Even did a rolled hem. This is a lot like painting. It's all in the prep. The act of running the stitches is the easy part. I'll see how this little cheapo machine works. I do see what y'all are talking about though. This is nothing like the machine my Mom has.

Thanks for the input.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicmiami View Post
    Here's the reply I received back from the place with "Over 25,000 machines in stock".

Thank you for your e-mail.

We would like to quote you the following Equipment:

Consew Model 230, Used, $450.00 ea.
    Lockstitch, Self Oilier, Reverse,
    Made in Japan, Table, Motor
    110V. Complete Unit.

Export Packing on a pallet $75.00

Shipping & Handling $175.00

F.O.B: OUR STORE IN MIAMI FL
    GOOD THRU: 15 DAYS
    TERMS: 100% WITH PURCHASE ORDER.
    DELIVERY: IMMEDIATELY, IN STOCK.

This sort of gave me an idea of what kind of people I would be dealing with when I showed up at the store. "You want to pay only $100?" So I headed off to Wally's.

$80 later and a Singer under my arm I'm now a tailor. Hemmed some work pants. Even did a rolled hem. This is a lot like painting. It's all in the prep. The act of running the stitches is the easy part. I'll see how this little cheapo machine works. I do see what y'all are talking about though. This is nothing like the machine my Mom has.

Thanks for the input.
    for light use ....as long as you take care of it you iwll get your moneys worth out of it
    i have the brother for $80 from WW and mine is going strong ...i made 5 quilts on it and many other small items...and i have not had one problem with it

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I don't know what you told them you wanted... but that is a fabulous price for a quality machine. Overkill for your needs. But still and all.... I suspect they would have had different selections. Just saying.

The Singer you purchased will do the job that you have laid out for it. It probably won't last as long as the machine your mom has... but by the time you decide to replace it, if you do, you'll have a better idea of what you want in your machines.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    True dat rev. Just for S&G I googled that machine and saw it was a good price. I told them I was in need of a used, consumer grade sewing machine and I didn't need a lot of stitch features.

When I'm in the area I will stop by their store/shop and report back.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    I have a Bernina machine and I swear by it. They are straight-forward, robust machines. I used them at school and haven't looked back. I've heard great things about Brothers machines and I do like Singers, too. Though, I do agree the quality of the lower-end Singers has gone down in the last few years. Too bad. I have a Singer serger, too, which does what I need it to do, but, boy, I'd sure love to upgrade to a nicer serger.

Sounds like you made a great choice for what you need! Congrats!! I wish you many happy years of thread injection!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12