Tarp
    Z-Packs Cuben
    Insulation
    Warbonnet TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie + toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    With what else could you clean this?
    I often use a little hand sanitizer or rubbing alcohol followed up with some soap and warm water. The webbing seems none the worse for it, but I’m not absolutely certain about the degree of degradation. Good question.

To my eye, rough bark seems to eventually wear on the straps more than anything else. I’ve got an extra bulk length of webbing in the “hammock hobby” box at home, so I don’t mind cutting fresh straps every now and then.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ30, EE TQ40
    Suspension
    Meyers white to CL
    Okay, I'm responding to an ancient thread! ; ) Meyerstech white 1" x 15 feet UHMWPE webbing straps connected to continuous loops with a Lapp knot. That's it. I can't think it weighs much more than 2 ounces total. Works great for me at 185 lbs.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitch Grizwald View Post
    Okay, I'm responding to an ancient thread! ; ) Meyerstech white 1" x 15 feet UHMWPE webbing straps connected to continuous loops with a Lapp knot. That's it. I can't think it weighs much more than 2 ounces total. Works great for me at 185 lbs.
    I use a similar setup, except with Kevlar 3.3g/ft webbing which is nigh impossible to find these days. Most people have a hard time accepting that the simple Lapp hitch will work but I've used it for a few years now with zero issues. Jeff Myers in one of his videos shows the Lapp being tied with two loops around the CL, which is not correct; one loop and tucking a slipped bight is plenty.

I have found that a few simple knots will suffice (for me) for hammock and tarp applications in all seasons.

https://youtu.be/fbcMPULvtzY
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I have found that a few simple knots will suffice (for me) for hammock and tarp applications in all seasons.

https://youtu.be/fbcMPULvtzY
    @cmoulder I look forward to giving these knots a go tonight! I've been intrigued with the Lapp versus Beckett and really like how easy it seems to be fore teardown. Was wondering when you would use the Lapp loops versus a Buntline, and why you use Blake's hitch rather than the Midshipman's or vise versa?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Salt View Post
    @cmoulder I look forward to giving these knots a go tonight! I've been intrigued with the Lapp versus Beckett and really like how easy it seems to be fore teardown. Was wondering when you would use the Lapp loops versus a Buntline, and why you use Blake's hitch rather than the Midshipman's or vise versa?
    Good questions!

Nice thing about the Lapp is that it is quicker than Becket and doesn't require a pull loop on the CL (or an Evo loop as the CL) in order to loosen it. Becket can get jammed quite tightly, and if you just yank the tag end very hard to release it, it is possible to damage the CL and/or cause it to wear out prematurely.

Lapp loop is quicker than a Buntline and is a fixed knot, not a constrictor. So if I have plenty of room between trees I'll use it on one end of the tarp ridge line and use a Midshipman's on the other end to tension the RL. In this application the Lapp loop is a good and far quicker substitute for the Bowline knot. It is *not* a substitute for Bowline in critical applications because it *can* capsize under extremely heavy loads. However I've used it to attach suspension webbing to trees and have never had it fail. BUT I still don't recommend it for others for anything other than tarp use.

Blake's hitch (vs Midshipman's) is harder to tie but it tends to stay tied, which makes it perfect IMO for the tarp tensioner role since you only have to tie it once and are done. (Unless you're someone who removes cordage from tarp when striking camp, which is something some folks do that I truly don't understand. )

The cool thing about Midshipman's (vs Tautline) is that all the wraps are in the same direction. It's a subtle contrast but makes a considerable difference when tying it in cold weather while wearing gloves. I've even tied it while wearing mittens. It cinches and releases easily as well. If you test them side-by-side in the yard or in the woods you'll begin to appreciate the difference.

One knot I didn't cover in the video is the simple Clove hitch, which is one of the handiest knots in the entire Universe. Learn to tie it both as an end knot and using the loop-behind-loop method for the middle of a cord. I use it for tying to my stakes, and mid cord for inserting a stick or trekking pole for porch mode. And there are a gazillion other uses such as tying pack haul loop to my hammock CL, etc. I once helped a guy haul a tractor out of a ditch, attaching some heavy nylon webbing to a round bar, and he was astonished that such a simple knot as the slipped Clove hitch actually held, and doubly astonished at how easily it released.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    I enjoyed the Lapp and definitely see advantages over Becket, so will probably be sticking with that.

A Lapp Loop is probably quite quick when practiced, I'll give that a shot in the future when needing to make a fixed sized loop and not using a Bowline...

Do you think continual vs split tarp suspension comes into play about whether to use two Midshipman's (or Blake's) versus one with a Lapp Loop?

I haven't quite figured out my ideal tarp suspension so often remove it when tearing down. Part of the problem is that I've got a new hammock and the tarp old needs to be diagonal to full cover if there is any wind.

Clove hitch is definitely a great one. I've even improvised a UQ using a series of them!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123